Hey, new here! Got a few problems. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Mustangmira06's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
 
Hey, new here! Got a few problems.

Hey everyone, checked this forum out a number of times in the past for car trouble help. But I've been having this ongoing problem that I can't seem to find a solution to.

I have a 2006 V6 Mustang. I've had a lot of problems with it blowing all of the coolant out quiet frequently. I feel like I've tried almost everything to fix it. So far I have replaced the thermostat, the hoses, the water pump, the cap twice, and the engine temp sensor. I've seen no indication of a leaking head gasket, as I haven't seen water in the oil or signs of leakage around the outside.

I've been trying to monitor the temps too and it seems like it blows out when I'm in slow traffic as the temps climb into the mid 210s. The fan doesn't kick on until like the late 210s and by then it doesn't help. I was running pure water for awhile because it was costing so much to buy antifreeze every week. But have been running antifreeze again and it still happens. I've tried making sure that I get the air out when filling it, but I don't have one of those special sets to do it properly.

Any ideas what I should try next? I may be forgetting some things I've tried, so I'll try and stay active here about it.

Mustangmira06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019
PONY Member
 
Travis98146's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 938
 
Garage
Your engine temps appear to be within the standard operating temps. Your radiator cap will release pressure in the cooling system up to about 18 psi. You may have a head gasket leaking pressure into the cooling system. There was an chemical that you could put in the radiator to test for combustion gases but I don't remember what it was. You might have to take it into a shop to have them test for excessive pressure in your cooling system.

Travis98146 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Mustangmira06's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
Your engine temps appear to be within the standard operating temps. Your radiator cap will release pressure in the cooling system up to about 18 psi. You may have a head gasket leaking pressure into the cooling system. There was an chemical that you could put in the radiator to test for combustion gases but I don't remember what it was. You might have to take it into a shop to have them test for excessive pressure in your cooling system.
So I just did another test, drove around till it was warmed up and then parked and let it idle. It climbed to 226 degrees and then boiled over. The fan never kicked on. I know the fan works because when I turn on the AC it kicks on and off and if I disconnect the Engine Temp Sensor it runs constant.

I seem to recall reading the fan should come on when the temp reachs 219 I think. Does anyone know why the fan wouldn't be coming on? If I had a bad relay, the fan wouldn't come on at all, right?
Mustangmira06 is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
B.Cooper's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 8,085
               
Welcome to the site! I moved your thread for a better response, hope you get it figured out soon.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
B.Cooper is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member
 
85andstillalive's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 10,102
   
Garage
I believe relays can work intermittently without fully failing as it is essentially just an on/off switch.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
85andstillalive is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Mustangmira06's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85andstillalive View Post
I believe relays can work intermittently without fully failing as it is essentially just an on/off switch.
Even if all I have to do is turn the AC on to get the fan going?

I'm wondering if the fan is controlled by another sensor other than the engine temp sensor?
Mustangmira06 is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
JBert's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 8,966
           
hmmmm, I think you are on the right track but I'm not sure how to sort it out . . . pretty sure there are some threads with the details you are looking for, in the GT Tech or General Discussion sections

I think you are right, if the fan comes on with the A/C then the relay is good; so there is some other reason that the fan is not coming on. Yes might be the sensor but I think there could be other things, which are detailed in the other threads, hope you can find them

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
JBert is online now  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Mustangmira06's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
hmmmm, I think you are on the right track but I'm not sure how to sort it out . . . pretty sure there are some threads with the details you are looking for, in the GT Tech or General Discussion sections

I think you are right, if the fan comes on with the A/C then the relay is good; so there is some other reason that the fan is not coming on. Yes might be the sensor but I think there could be other things, which are detailed in the other threads, hope you can find them
Yeah, I'm checking the fan connectors now to see if they are bad. The 40 Amp fuse in the engine fuse box looks good. I'm gonna get a multimeter later and start testing the electronics.

I was reading about some people saying their connectors were melting together. I'm checking the connector by the fan, there is a resistor housed in the fan, and it looks like the connectors are stuck together there, although I'm not sure if that's by design or not.
Mustangmira06 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
my89foxbody's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Dracut
Posts: 1,318
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangmira06 View Post
Hey everyone, checked this forum out a number of times in the past for car trouble help. But I've been having this ongoing problem that I can't seem to find a solution to.

I have a 2006 V6 Mustang. I've had a lot of problems with it blowing all of the coolant out quiet frequently. I feel like I've tried almost everything to fix it. So far I have replaced the thermostat, the hoses, the water pump, the cap twice, and the engine temp sensor. I've seen no indication of a leaking head gasket, as I haven't seen water in the oil or signs of leakage around the outside.

I've been trying to monitor the temps too and it seems like it blows out when I'm in slow traffic as the temps climb into the mid 210s. The fan doesn't kick on until like the late 210s and by then it doesn't help. I was running pure water for awhile because it was costing so much to buy antifreeze every week. But have been running antifreeze again and it still happens. I've tried making sure that I get the air out when filling it, but I don't have one of those special sets to do it properly.

Any ideas what I should try next? I may be forgetting some things I've tried, so I'll try and stay active here about it.


This sounds like the issue, this resistor allows the fan to run the multiple speeds. The systems is designed to turn the fan on high speed when the A/C is turned on because that's a heavy load on the engine making it run hotter.

Resistor - Ford (7R3Z-8L603-A)


2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
my89foxbody is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Mustangmira06's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
 
So everyone, I'm pretty sure my resistor is bad. But its like $70 to replace it. Is there a proper way to test it and confirm that its the part thats bad? Or to test around it? I just want to make sure if I can before I buy another part and it turns out not to help.
Mustangmira06 is offline  
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
my89foxbody's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Dracut
Posts: 1,318
 
Garage
You could probably test continuity across the resistors to see if one has an open or infinity


2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
my89foxbody is offline  
Rookie
 
fjord's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Auburn
Posts: 5
 
Is the $70 for a Ford resistor? An electronics shop could probably sell you an equivalent resistor for much cheaper.
fjord is offline  
Apprentice
 
hobojack's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: whiting
Posts: 54
 
I don't know where your seeing a resistor, but are you aware there is a low and a high speed fan relay? And yes I have seen the fan motor plug melt causing NO CONTACT.
hobojack is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Mustangmira06's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
 
Yeah, that was through Ford. None of the local autoshops even knew what I was talking about. I did end up ordering one online for a little cheaper.

Yeah, I'm aware of the high and low relays. I've tested them and they both work. We also tested the connection between the relays and the resistor. The resistor by the way is on the fan housing. We are getting nkthing through the low speed part so I think it may be broken off. That's why my high speed fan works but not my low speed fan.
Mustangmira06 is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Mustangmira06's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
 
The resistor fixed it!

Thanks all!

Mac The Knife likes this.
Mustangmira06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1