Lower Control Arm Confusion - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Lower Control Arm Confusion

So I am looking to replace the front LCRs on my 2010.

I am having no luck in finding good information on getting the correct parts. Rockauto lists two different model control arms based on production date, before 08/02/09 and after 08/03/09. Other websites like LMR and CJpony list only one option for the LCRs. My production date is 02/10.

As far as I can tell the only differences are the ball joint stud design, the arm being one piece V.S one of the bushings being welded on and one of them being rounded vs more angled.

The short and skinny is that a buddy has a set of the early production arms for before 08/02/09. I am curious to know if I would be able to swap out the ball joints on these with the appropriate one and use them? The only thing that I can find is that the arms for the GT500 (which look similar to the early model version) will work on all models of Stang' V6/GT/GT500.

To me it looks like despite the angles being different the over all size and shape should be the same, so that every mounting point should match up.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newer Than 08-03-09.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	610685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Older Than 08-02-09.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	610687  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yes, the ball joints and a-arms were changed part way through the 2010 model year. (see my other post on the subject to see how I figured this out . . . the hard way, LOL . . . with pictures)

The later production had a bigger ball joint with bigger shaft and a corresponding larger hole in the spindle. The earlier builds had the same ball joints, a-arms, and spindle as the 2009 cars.

I am not positive about the date, but August 2009 does sound about right . . . so your February 2010 build should have the new a-arms with the bigger ball joint, part number should be the same as 2011+ cars. Unfortunately no your buddy's parts are not the right ones . . . you can confirm this by holding them up next to yours, you should be able to see that your ball joint is bigger.

About the GT500 a-arms -- their bushings are a little harder than the regular ones, but not much. If you are looking for much firmer bushings (like for road track use) then you really need to replace the bushings in your factory arms with the poly bushings from Energy Suspension or Prothane. But that bushing swap job is a major PITA, so if you don't really need the hard bushings, the GT500 arms are the way to go.

Just make sure you get the right ones . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page