I know, you shouldn't mod a v6, but..... - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mach

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
I know, you shouldn't mod a v6, but.....

Hey guys, I just did my first mod. My v6 convertible has 160,000 miles and was feeling kinda sluggish. So, i installed a demon coil, taylor wires and NGK plugs. Wow, what a change! The gap on my original plugs was huge after so many miles and so many years. The car didn't miss, but on hot days, it idled around 300 RPMs.
So now i am thinking more mods. I was wondering what if any real HP gains can i expect, by converting my exhaust to dual. It isn't a cheap mod. I already have a performance muffler on the standard exhaust, so what gains can i realistically expect for my $600.00?
Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Install dual exhaust for looks because the HP gain is so marginal. A lot of V6 owners years ago, when the S197 was in production, would buy GT take-off axle backs and just install the 1 muffler and basically get the same results as installing dual pipes. The unmodified 4.0 simply doesn't flow that much airflow for dual pipes to relieve back pressure to a degree to produce more than 5 or 6 HP.

But they do look nice if the bumper cut-out is done carefully and the exhaust is hung evenly. Installing dual exhaust has a plus and negative on the factory V6. Duals will increase HP but its at the peak RPM range. The negative is duals release some back pressure that results in loss of the low end torque you need during acceleration.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Hey, thats great info...Thanks! My car is a 5 speed and TQ is not the best as is, so spending $600 at american muscle, with marginal hp gains and a loss of low end TQ... doesn't sound too smart. Guess i will jump back to plan "B" CAI and a tune
ONEZ ST likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019
Apprentice
2.3L Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
V6 Mods

Put a JBA muffler on our 2005 V6 at about 8K miles. Put a throttle body spacer on it and a S&B CAI. Put a Demon coil and Live Wires on when changing the plugs at 80K. At 120K the original engine suffered an oil pump shaft break, the wife drove it exactly 2 miles and stopped to get gas. Called me and said her car didn't sound good and the oil light was on. When we put the 50K mile replacement in, I put a set of BBK shorty headers on. The car is still sporty to this day and sounds great with the headers and muffler at 220K miles. She drove the car every day for 14.5 years, in July we bought a new leftover 2018 Ecoboost. You can MOD a V6 and have an enjoyable car that will hold its own with the right enhancements. Enjoy your car

2005: S&B CAI, Throttle Body Spacer, Throttle Body Coolant Bypass, Strut Tower Brace, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Gt 500 Struts, J&M Camber Plates, 18in. 2010 GT Wheels, Rear Sway Bar, Sequential Turn Signals, Demon Coil & Live Wires, JBA Muffler, BBK Shorty Headers, GT Front Bumper and Fog Lights. Finally installed the 6 Gage instrument cluster.
2018: AIRAID Intake tube, AFE Dry Filter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
CAI and tune is a good investment for what your looking for out of your V6.
Like said before, a more free flowing muffler will be just as effective and less costly as duel exhaust.
While you're at it, change your fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently.
Weight reduction makes cars faster. Rear seat delete.
Lighter rims and axcels will also help.
Bottom line is, real speed is not cheap.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page