Battery Dead and no Access to Car - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Battery Dead and no Access to Car

Hello dear Mustang Community

I'm facing a serious simple problem. I need to access the dead battery, but am not able to enter the car for releasing the hood latch. Obviously my keys won't open the doors remotely, since the car has run out of power. So I tried to open the drivers door manually with my keys (never used it before). I can turn the key in the lock counter-clockwise for around 10-15 deg, but the door wouldn't unlock. I tried also my spare key with no success and don't want to turn it by force to make things worse.

Is there any possible way to pop open the hood without to pull the lever from the inside? I can see and access the lock latch through the front fender with a long stick/wire/whatever.

Did anyone else had the same problems with locks not working properly? Luckily the window is already on the "down" position.

I really don't wan't to tow the car for this simple reason and would really appreciate your help.

I own (and yes, it IS mine...) a 2010 4.0L V6. It's in my driveway and in parking position.
This is my first post since i bought it last August. First issue so far...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If the window is in the down position I would try to snag the inside door handle and open the car door.

If that is not possible call a locksmith. Where would you tow the car? And how would they unlock it?

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

My ford dealer would probably bring it to their next shop and open the hood from the bottom. IDK...

I'm going to try to break in with a hanger wire. I hope my neighbour won't call the police while trying

I'll let you know how it went...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020
PONY Member

Garage
To gain entry into my daughters car, I attached a jumper cable from the positive terminal on my car battery to the starter terminal on her car. I then ran a ground from the battery of my car to the frame on her vehicle. This energized her car enough for the key fob to open her door. I got this method from a post on this site.

You can also use one of those portable chargers. Be careful, and wear safety googles when working around any car battery.
my89foxbody likes this.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020
PONY Member

Will your key open the trunk? If yes, you manually pop the rear seat back/s and crawl into the car through the trunk.
my89foxbody likes this.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Nope, trunk won't open with the remote keys. Ford also decided to remove the trunk keyholes...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
To gain entry into my daughters car, I attached a jumper cable from the positive terminal on my car battery to the starter terminal on her car. I then ran a ground from the battery of my car to the frame on her vehicle. This energized her car enough for the key fob to open her door. I got this method from a post on this site.

You can also use one of those portable chargers. Be careful, and wear safety googles when working around any car battery.
I do have a battery charger (though not portable). Maybe i am able to gain access to the starter terminal...
huberoy123 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020
Apprentice

Instead of fiddling with the electrical system, I would find out from a LEO or a Repo man if the old reliable "Slim Jim" can pop your door lock by sliding down the window channel. Years ago, we used to say the Repossessor could get in faster than you could with your key.

2018 GT Premium Fastback Lightning Blue/Auto10.
2017 Raptor Black/Auto10/Glass Roof.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020
Rookie

If you have roadside assistance, it may cover a lockout call. You may have one even through your phone provider.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgie View Post
I can turn the key in the lock counter-clockwise for around 10-15 deg, but the door wouldn't unlock.
Try this again with the little emergency key turned fifteen degrees to the left . Pull on the door handle about 6 or 8 or 10 times (or until the door unlatches).

A guy on the streets of Philly suggested this technique.

Hey, hold the phone... where's MY car?

2018 GT Premium Fastback Lightning Blue/Auto10.
2017 Raptor Black/Auto10/Glass Roof.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddledUp View Post
Try this again with the little emergency key turned fifteen degrees to the left . Pull on the door handle about 6 or 8 or 10 times (or until the door unlatches).

A guy on the streets of Philly suggested this technique.

Hey, hold the phone... where's MY car?

I had a 2010 GT, it didn't have an emergency key. It had a regular key like the attached thumbnail.

I would try putting in the key and while it is partway in the lock, spray some WD-40 in the lock cylinder, then push the key the rest of the way in and see if it turns and unlocks the door. Also turn the key to the right and left of center to get the WD-40 to work its magic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	612853  
wjbertrand likes this.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Update:
I called my dealer and found out that i have one year of road assistance for free. So i called the road assistance service and within 30 min the guy showed up, pushed the window with a little inflatable pillow a few millimeters out and pulled the doorhandle with a hook-pole from the outside.
He jumped my batteries and voilà, motor, radio and lock is running again.
So i should fix the door-lock and also check my electric wiring in case of a faulty consumer. The battery is almost brandnew...

Cheers and thanks again for your tips!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

And will do definitely do the WD40 trick. I'ts worth a try!
PONY Member

Garage
I guess the lesson here is to check and lubricate the key lock occasionally. Glad you got it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgie View Post
And will do definitely do the WD40 trick. I'ts worth a try!

The reason I recommended WD-40 is moisture probably ran down between the window and the door and coated the locking mechanism with water and froze. WD-40 will melt the ice and displace the water so the lock is free to operate. Good to see that you were able to get into the car.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery , door , lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in