Ford Mustang Forum banner

2007 timing chain replacement, other options?

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DeSoto 
#1 ·
I've got a 2007 V6, 5 speed. It was my daily driver. The engine light came on a while back and my mechanic says I need to replace the timing chain ($3900 repair), or replace the engine ($4000+). I'm letting it mostly sit right now because I don't want to risk the timing chain breaking and damaging more of the engine, while I save up enough to repair or replace. I'd like to replace with a V8, but my mechanic says that's more involved than a straight engine swap. Any comments or suggestions on the repair or replace? I don't have the tools or knowledge to do much of either, so I'll be paying someone to do the work.

Has anyone done the V6 to V8 swap? Just wondering now involved that really is, or if it's even worth it.

Thanks for any comments!

#2 ·
IMHO, with regards to the V6 to V8 swap, yes doable but expensive especially if you are going to pay to have the work done.... way past the cost of either rebuilding or replacing the V6. IMHO..... although you didn't mention the miles on the engine, you should be able to find a good used engine (tested and validated by your mechanic at a recycle yard) for about 1/2 of the timing chain assembly cost there is always a change it could also go bad on you...… IMHO, go enroll in a auto repair course and replace the timing chain assembly there.... the parts will run in the SWAG of $1k to $1,300 for new guides, tensioners, chains, oil pump (yes you want to replace that too) etc.

Otherwise, I would look at a crate engine replacement.

#3 ·
The swap from V6 to V8 is doable but will cost well beyond a replacement V6 engine.... includes changing suspension components, electronic control modules, etc.

IMHO..... although you didn't mention the mileage, I would enroll in an auto repair shop class or locate a DIY center where they provide all tolls, etc. and have professional mechanics there to assist you with maintenance/repairs on your vehicle. Parts cost...SWAG- $1,300..... if the rest of the engine is in good shape...no reason not to keep it. If not, salvage engines are always a risk for long term investment..... a remanufactured engine would be my next recommendation.

#4 ·
Thanks for the information. I forgot to mention that the car has 181,000 miles on it. Interesting thought about the auto repair class. I think I'll check into the local jucco. Thanks. Otherwise, it's probably going to be a reman engine.

The next mustang I get will be a V8! :wink:

#5 ·
I am doing the Coyote swap on our 2007 V6 and I can tell you that the only reason we are doing it is because the car itself is sentimental to my wife. Otherwise, it would have been more cost effective to go find a used GT and sell the V6 car altogether. With that said, our V6 engine has 107,500mi and its a really good runner if you are interested. Has JBA headers too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.