Looking for free mods for a 2005+ V6 Mustang - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

What I did was pop off the chrome pony emblem on the stock grill sand it with some sandpaper lying around and used some extra black automotive spray paint and stuck it back on there, gives it a blacked out look to your grill plush I saw somewhere that the black front grill emblem is 50$ online. What a rip!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFire View Post
Which dome lights did you get on ebay? I have been looking but getting confused. All a find are square.
ya, the pics they are using arent so great. the old leds i bought are like a cluster of glass bumps. the newer one i bought look like a space satalite or something. the ones i got a couple yrs ago i havent been able to find. they are a darker blue that matches the blue led strips for the footwells perfect. there is however some super bright leds that are still cool, just a little lighter blue but much brighter.
ive ordered some of these strips for 1.00 + .89 shipping each. used them for the footwells
Car Blue 15 SMD LED Flexible Waterproof Light Strip 12V - eBay (item 370441515928 end time Nov-04-10 09:58:09 PDT)

heres the dome bulbs from super bright, i never bought these but some guys said the same thing as the ones below that i bought.
921-x9 Wedge Base bulbs Specifications

heres some other ones i found, i bought a set but they are a little lighter than the footwells, but much brighter than my old ones.
05+ Ford Mustang BLUE 10 LED Interior dome light kit - eBay (item 320591629253 end time Dec-15-10 15:32:39 PST)

heres a couple pics of the old bulbs and the new ones, a pic of one old bulb and one new one, and the 15 led strips i put in the footwells

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED dome bulbs.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	116284   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED dome comparison.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	116285   Click image for larger version

Name:	lights3.jpg
Views:	5133
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	116286  

05 V6 auto,
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMad View Post
slicing off that box on the tip of the exhaust called a muffler. i took mine off and i love it. incredibly loud, deep, throaty idle, and rattles your ears around 3500-4000 revs
I have this done. Here is a vid.
YouTube - 2005 Mustang V6 exhaust start up, rev, and idle.

Also, anyone notice anything odd about my tailights?

2005 Ford Mustang V6: Dead
1998 Camaro V6: For Sale
1978 Camaro: Project

2009 45th Edition V6 Manual: Current car.

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCV6stang View Post
Hey Lone Ranger --that looks great ! I have that medium gray interior and yours is giving me the idea to paint my door inserts black with some red trim.
My other idea is to get a set of black/charcoal cloth take-off seat covers--in contrast to the gray interior. They cost 109.00.
What do you think ?
Sorry I've been off a while.

Hot! I did mine and I love it. The hard part is getting the front seats out. Careful not to scratch the sills. Put a towel or something over the sill to keep from scratching them when you remove and install the seats.

Look forward to pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upson View Post
I was wondering how this interior paint job has held up for you. I'm thinking about doing it myself, I've got the Legend Lime exterior with black interior and think it would look nice with the same black as yours, and a green that's a little darker than legend lime, and I'll be ordering some LED strips for the floors and I already have blue lights for the domes but am going to replace them with brighter LED's.

I'm just concerned about the paint cracking and chipping because I live in Wisconsin and it's cold here about 7 months out of the year.
Use Duplocolor adhesion promoter. I have had to do some minor touch up, but I am very pleased.

Thom C.
Stay Tuned, Y'all...

Last edited by Snackmaster; 06-19-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Rookie

Looking through these mod ideas i've found some great ones (the 'welt' especially) and want to say thanks to everyone that posted. There was one mod I was suprised not to see on here and thats tinting beyond the windows.

I have an '06 and about two weeks after I got it I not only tinted the windows (13%) but I also cut the tint to fit the lights and it looks amazing. I covered the headlights (i removed this later and i think it looks better without it as they are already black and chrome), taillights including 3rd brak light, side running lights on the back, and the parking lights. I used 35% tint for these as I found online that any lights must let at least 30% of light through; so I kept it legal. Its a very simple mod that only takes about an hour if you remove the components to tint them, half that if you can do it without removing them and the cost is only for one box of window tint which is around $10 (not including any extras like a razor or applicator or the application spray they have at most parts stores). After 3 years it is still the simplest yet most satisfying mod I have done however a big part of that is that my mustang has been purely moded to be black and silver only on the exterior; but it looks good no matter what color scheme you're going for.

Another important thing to remember when doing this mod is that for it to stick you will need to file down the raised lettering on certain parts such as the 3rd brake light and the side lights; this is a no brainer though and shouldn't pose any issues.

I forgot to add that spray kits for the brake lights and smoked panels are available, but they are not nearly as cheap (the kits are between $15-$30 and i personally never had the desired results with them on my old cars when i tried them; the smoked panels are on americanmuscle.com for about $40 per pair for each pair). Tinting taillights with window tint can be an extremely hard process but the S197 lights are all quite broad and flat so it's a breeze.

Once again thanks for the welt idea; it was a suprisingly easy and cheap way to make a huge difference in my interior

The Silver Hornet

2006 Satin Silver Mustang V6
CAI, handbuild syntec exhaust, custom rocker stripes "The Silver Hornet" (named for the '67 and '68 prototypes-not the movie), 13% tint on every window but the windsheild, 35% on every light but the headlights, full MTX audio w/ 2 12" subs (alpine deck), and much more to come.

Last edited by Snackmaster; 06-19-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: merged back to back posts
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancho805 View Post
remove the muff. it will sound horrible but if you wear ear plugs, you might enjoy the little performance boost.

oops. just realized that you were interested in appearance mods only. a painted GT muff with chrome tip welded on can be considered a appearance mod also.
I took my stock muffler off my 2007 v6 and it actually sounds good. My car is manual in low gears it has a low grumble and 3500 rpm and up in sounds like a beast. Definitally illegal loud some say but I haven't got a ticket yet

:p'07 SONIC (not vista) Blue 4.0
(dealership custom painted)
5speed stick shift

Engine:SCT 91 race tune, JLT CAI, Screamin demon coil, JBA wires, Flowmaster 40 muffler
Body:GT500 heat extractor hood,8000 hid lights,Shorty antenna,Black stock rims,Yellow brake calipers,Limo tint windows
Rookie

do a muffler delete,just unbolt the muffler sounds like a v8 plus its free and takes about 15 minutes

2010 v6 20 inch bullets, k&n performance intake,custom tune
Rookie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det Stang View Post
sorry... axle. These are mimimum mods that I have done. A supercharger is probably the most for your $ and HP
Why use a supercharger and drain the life of your engine and decrease mpg, when a turbo (preferably twin) or procharger for same price if not cheaper can give you the same power??

-confused teen
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79stangghia View Post
Free- you might try removing the air silencer on the air box.
You know, I've only seen this in a couple places... Probably because it seems it was discontinued for late '05s and beyond... But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I'd obviously like to get a real CAI and tune for my '06 V6 'Vert, but the job market in New Jersey has left me sitting at home with my kid, so I can't plunk down the gettus for that.

Does my '06 have an air silencer? Or anything else causing a restriction that I should remove?

I already put a GT muffler on the car back when I was gainfully employed, so the back end sounds good. Just looking for a little more flow and maybe a change in tone up front.

2006 Mustang V6 Convertible: Stock so far
1994 Mustang GT: 306 (Speedpro H273CP pistons, stock rods & crank, GT-40P heads, 5.0HO cam, Crane/FRPP 1.7 roller rockers), MAC GT-40P headers, Magnaflow catted H-pipe, Magnaflow cat-back, KYB shocks & struts, aluminum driveshaft, stock T5 Sold, but still in the family
Apprentice

i helped my friend do that to his car haha. it actually worked out really well and his radio quality didn't change

2007 manual V6 Premium. Satin silver w/ red leather interior. Magnaflow dual exhaust. magnetic rear deck lid blackout panel and third break light decal. all from AmericanMuscle.com
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

don't know how many will see this cause its a pretty old thread... but what about painting underhood parts and caps with duplicolor or krylon? I painted my fuse box cover with three or four coats and gave it two clear coats.. both aerosol cans.. I painted the radiator cover too. with a vista blue car and white accents everywhere I think it looks pretty nice..
when I get my camara back I'll post some pics of the overall car..

2006 Mustang V6 Pony Package Vista Blue with a 5-speed (Michele)
Go: BBK 70mm throttle body, BBK CAI, single custom exhaust (maxflow muffler) with polished 4" tip, SCT Tuner w/ 91 RT, SR TB Spacer, Custom made cold air bucket, Spec Stage II Clutch and SF66A Flywheel
Show: White rocker stripes, Kaenen Mach 1 Style hood, painted underhood parts/covers, Muffler tip, white stripes after heat reduction ports.
Own but not insalled- Polished Shorty Headers
Future-looking for 2007-08 F150
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane2009 View Post
don't know how many will see this cause its a pretty old thread... but what about painting underhood parts and caps with duplicolor or krylon? I painted my fuse box cover with three or four coats and gave it two clear coats.. both aerosol cans.. I painted the radiator cover too. with a vista blue car and white accents everywhere I think it looks pretty nice..
when I get my camara back I'll post some pics of the overall car..
i really want to see that...i was going to color match a lot of underhood companants and thought about coloring the caps and covers since the aftermarket stuff is a bit pricey

2007 V6 TORCH RED (will be missed)
2001 Bullitt - #1001 (Good riddance)
2004 Mach 1
--Magnaflow Exhaust, MGW shifter..For now
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I'll be sure and post a couple pics up when my camara gets back from the factory.. let my nieces play with it... lol bad idea... I may post on here or start a new thread.. lol we'll see how picture happy I get

Go: BBK 70mm throttle body, BBK CAI, single custom exhaust (maxflow muffler) with polished 4" tip, SCT Tuner w/ 91 RT, SR TB Spacer, Custom made cold air bucket, Spec Stage II Clutch and SF66A Flywheel
Show: White rocker stripes, Kaenen Mach 1 Style hood, painted underhood parts/covers, Muffler tip, white stripes after heat reduction ports.
Rookie

Be careful with things that are free - for the most part, you'll wind up paying more for the right part in the long run
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

already posted a thread, but thought I may as well post here too.. went to the hardware store and got a couple of spray cans..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michele 001.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	145314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Michele 002.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	145315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Michele 004.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	145316  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page