Coast Aluminum Driveshafts - Good / Bad? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Coast Aluminum Driveshafts - Good / Bad?

Hey guys..

I'm thinking of getting one of the new 4" aluminum driveshafts from Coast Driveline and Gears for my 2005, 4.0. It goes for about $525 + Shipping. Does anyone have any comments (good/bad) about this driveshaft / manufacturer? Should I get it, or is do you guys lean toward another brand? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks !

http://www.coastdriveline.com/NEW_Mustang.htm

1987 Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible
Oxford White 5 speed
90% stock and proud of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008
Rookie
4.6L Member

you should check out a carbon fiber driveshaft there only a little bit mot in price and there much lighter

01 black cobra vert, Bassani exhaust, Diablo tuner, JLT cold air intake, Steeda stop the hop kit, Maximum motorsports heavy duty IRS cross member,steeda tri'ax short throw, 4.10s, QA1 adjustable, nitto drag radials
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

While I'm sure there is nothing wrong with their driveshafts, don't recall hearing anyone having one in the group. Most of us either run Shaftmasters or CHE's. I can personally attest to the shaftmasters, great piece of gear. Solidly built and they stand behind their work. They also post to this forum occaisionally, so it's nice to support them.

07 GT Vert. Triple Black. Steeda CAI, FRPP GTA's, Roush Styling Bar, tuned by Brenspeed.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Can't beat Shaftmasters on price or quality.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008
Apprentice
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
you should check out a carbon fiber driveshaft there only a little bit mot in price and there much lighter
I don't know of any carbon fiber drive shafts for the v6. Also a carbon fiber drive shaft will run about $500 more then most aluminum drive shafts.

2005 Premium Performance White Coupe
Sequential turn signals
Eibach Anti-Sway bars
GT Take-off Muffler
Future Mods:
4" Aluminum Drive
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008
PONY Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 63Bmechanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyslam View Post
I don't know of any carbon fiber drive shafts for the v6. Also a carbon fiber drive shaft will run about $500 more then most aluminum drive shafts.
i have only seen it once, but i witnessed a carbon drive shaft splinter, it was wild. it was on a purpose built supra but it still twisted it like a cheap pencil. the way it exploded it looked like fiberglass.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

people say how light certain ones are, how much lighter are we talkin here?

Performance: C&L CAI with Xcal 3 Tuner. 93 Race tune by Bamachips. GT sway Bars. 8.8 Rear axle with 4.10 gears. Dual Magnaflow Exhaust.

Not performance... 7 inch In dash Pioneer DVD/touch screen deck, Shaker 500 system, Chrome taillight trim. Sequential taillights. Window tint, Viper alarm with remote start. Cobra radar detector with GPS. Black 18" bullitt wheels with Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z II Tires.
how I pay for my mods: andydew.myvi.net
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewness View Post
people say how light certain ones are, how much lighter are we talkin here?
Comparing an OEM to an aluminum shaft? The OEMs are about twice as heavy. The weight difference between different aluminum shafts I guess could vary by a pound or so. Maybe 2-3 if you're comparing 3.5's and 4's.

I did feel a difference after installing mine (shaftmasters), but not sure about picking up the hp/tq that coast is claiming.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio333 View Post
Comparing an OEM to an aluminum shaft? The OEMs are about twice as heavy. The weight difference between different aluminum shafts I guess could vary by a pound or so. Maybe 2-3 if you're comparing 3.5's and 4's.

I did feel a difference after installing mine (shaftmasters), but not sure about picking up the hp/tq that coast is claiming.
What gains are they claiming?

Performance: C&L CAI with Xcal 3 Tuner. 93 Race tune by Bamachips. GT sway Bars. 8.8 Rear axle with 4.10 gears. Dual Magnaflow Exhaust.

Not performance... 7 inch In dash Pioneer DVD/touch screen deck, Shaker 500 system, Chrome taillight trim. Sequential taillights. Window tint, Viper alarm with remote start. Cobra radar detector with GPS. Black 18" bullitt wheels with Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z II Tires.

Quote:
What gains are they claiming?
From the link in the original post:
Now it's official! Here is a dyno graph, before and after the Coast Driveline Gen-5 Mustang Ultralight Aluminum Driveshaft, driveshaft tested on a Roush Mustang.

This is direct proof that the driveshaft makes about a 14HP peak increase, and 16 ft/lb of torque increase.

Not sure why any other on the "Roush Mustang" wasn't given. If those numbers are true, anyone care to guess a ballpark figure for gains on a V6?
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio333 View Post
From the link in the original post:
Now it's official! Here is a dyno graph, before and after the Coast Driveline Gen-5 Mustang Ultralight Aluminum Driveshaft, driveshaft tested on a Roush Mustang.

This is direct proof that the driveshaft makes about a 14HP peak increase, and 16 ft/lb of torque increase.

Not sure why any other on the "Roush Mustang" wasn't given. If those numbers are true, anyone care to guess a ballpark figure for gains on a V6?
It's hard to trust any of those advertisements. That is why people make thread after thread on here asking if throttle body spacers will really give them 8 lbs or torque and 8 horsepower.

Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
It's hard to trust any of those advertisements. That is why people make thread after thread on here asking if throttle body spacers will really give them 8 lbs or torque and 8 horsepower.
Lol, exactly, their gains are completely true, they're not lying, but they always do the tests on cars putting out 400+ hp to begin with, so in reality on a relatively stock V6, they're not going to do much of anything, sorry.

2008 V6 Performance White Mustang:
-Too much to list

1968 289 C-Code Coupe:
-C4 auto, Edelbrock 4v, Performer intake, Flowtech longtubes

18 MPG with a CLASSIC WOO-HOO!
Rookie

Shaftmasters

I bought mine from shaftmasters. I got mine for $499 delivered to my door. I like the quality of this product. I bought the 4 inch one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
aluminum , coast , driveshaft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page