Upgrades needed to get approx. 250HP? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Upgrades needed to get approx. 250HP?

I do a lot of reading around here, and know a fair amount of knowledge, but it never hurts to hear more from others.

So, I want to put out about 250HP. But I don't want to supercharge (no money for it right now). I done the typical, dual exhaust and intake. I'm going to head over to bamachips and get a tuner and c&l intake from them, don't like the bbk too much.

What else can be done. I don't like the idea of headers. Plus stock ones flow pretty well. Suggestions?

2007 Tungsten Pony Package V6 Mustang: C&L Intake with SCT3 tune from bama, Custom H-pipe, Borla Stingers, BBK Shorty Headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
Rookie

underdrives,delete your a/c,fuel injectors,or even nitrous

-i put my four bangers on two wheels build a real engine-
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

250 to the rw would be very hard for a low price range. 250 to the fw is very easy. gears(3.71?) and t-lok if you have an auto would be a great idea.

207.0/218.4

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnshepherd View Post
250 to the rw would be very hard for a low price range. 250 to the fw is very easy. gears(3.71?) and t-lok if you have an auto would be a great idea.
Gears don't add any horsepower whatsoever. They simply increase your acceleration due to changes in ratios. Neither does T-lok. And there isn't such the as fwhp on a Mustang.

If you're trying to achieve 250 to the rear wheels, you might be in a slump if you're not willing to get into superchargers, turbochargers, or nitrous. If you're trying to achieve 250 to the crank, it's not as hard, but still a feat. Start with exhaust, intake, underdrive pulley, long tube headers, and a good tune (DO NOT GO TO BAMACHIPS, I would definitley consider Brenspeed or even VMP before going to Bamachips. Trust me). Then move on to an upper intake spacer, an aluminum drive shaft, and new camshafts. Camshafts can be very complicated though. This in total should give you close to or around 250 to the crank. Hope this helps

Satin Silver 2002 V6 (Automatic): Sold
Torch Red 2003 Mach 1 (Manual)
-Borla Stinger Catback
-CDC Honeycomb Trunk Panel Insert
-Lower Rear Bumper Valence Accent
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

cat back exhaust and a new mid pipe but then why not go with the headers if you do all that. UDP good gears 3.73, that intake and tune should do some good too. I guess you go for nitrous too if youre into that sort of thing

Black 2006 GT T-2 Torsen Diff, 3.73 gears, FRPP 90MM CAI, SCT X-Cal 3 tuner/ Speed Inc. dyno tune, FRPP catbacks, Steeda Triaxe w/ Hurst stick and T handle, SVT strut mounts, FRPP strut brace, Steeda UDP, JBA long tube headers, JBA O/R H-pipe, CHE LCAs, CHE anti-squat brackets, Steeda adj. UCA, Steeda heavy duty engine mounts, FRPP AC delete, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, Hotchkis swaybars, Corbeau FX1 Pro

DONE: 1968 Convertible PROJECT candy apple red 289 w/ edelbrock 4bbl 600 cfm
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleneagles View Post
...and a good tune (DO NOT GO TO BAMACHIPS, I would definitley consider Brenspeed or even VMP before going to Bamachips. Trust me). ...
Just curious..why dont you like bamachips?

2008 Mustang 4.0L V6 - Candy Apple Red
Performance:
FRPP Dual Exhaust With X Pipe,K&N Drop-In Air Filter
Looks: GT Spoiler, White Racing Stripes, Sequential Taillights, GT500 Pedals & Dead Pedal, Window Tinting

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I second the intake/tune thing but I recommend Bamachips. There are tons of guys around running their tunes with no trouble and really good power increases.

An aftermarket single exhaust will get you at least 10rwhp on the new v6's. Probably more like 12-13, a dual exhaust might get you over 15 but most people don't go dual for performance because the extra 2-3 rwhp isn't worth the additional $300 of going dual. You'll also lose a bit of low end torque with a dual setup over a good single.

Underdrive pulleys are nice but don't do much. Expect 5 rwhp realistically, 10rwhp MAX.

Performance plug wires and coils don't do a lot either, expect 5rwhp realistically.

Headers won't give you much at all. Expect 2-3 rwhp realistically, 5 rwhp MAX.

If you want to make your car run like it has 250 hp, its easier to go with the better bang-for-buck bolt ons (intake/tune, exhaust) and throw in an aluminum driveshaft to cut down on rotational mass and some gears to get you off the line quicker.

If you really want 250rwhp then you're either looking at a few grand worth of bolt-ons, or a power adder (supercharger, turbo, n20) which will get you a whole lot more.

And if you really want to make some power with that 4.0 and stay NA, then stroke it to a 4.5L and add forged internals. You can make over 300rwhp on a stroked 4.5L with your basic intake/tune and exhaust.

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Gears don't add any horsepower whatsoever. They simply increase your acceleration due to changes in ratios. Neither does T-lok. And there isn't such the as fwhp on a Mustang.

If you're trying to achieve 250 to the rear wheels, you might be in a slump if you're not willing to get into superchargers, turbochargers, or nitrous. If you're trying to achieve 250 to the crank, it's not as hard, but still a feat. Start with exhaust, intake, underdrive pulley, long tube headers, and a good tune (DO NOT GO TO BAMACHIPS, I would definitley consider Brenspeed or even VMP before going to Bamachips. Trust me). Then move on to an upper intake spacer, an aluminum drive shaft, and new camshafts. Camshafts can be very complicated though. This in total should give you close to or around 250 to the crank. Hope this helps
fw = flywheel not front wheel
most people don't really want hp they just think they do. i personally don't care for hp.. but torque? oh baby!

207.0/218.4
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Get ready for a long, detailed response. Sean (alleneagles) likes to research things for months at a time.

207.0/218.4
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
fw = flywheel not front wheel
most people don't really want hp they just think they do. i personally don't care for hp.. but torque? oh baby!
Yeah, my mistake. I misunderstood you.

-Borla Stinger Catback
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I recently posted a thread in the V6 Tech section about this. And Stanger98 contributed alot too. I bought a VMP and used it for while and then tried Bamachips and I was very disappointed. But Stanger98 suggests that Brenspeed beats both. I'm going to buy a tune from them soon and see.

-Borla Stinger Catback
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Get ready for a long, detailed response. Sean (alleneagles) likes to research things for months at a time.
Yeah yeah...:hihi:

-Borla Stinger Catback
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I recently posted a thread in the V6 Tech section about this. And Stanger98 contributed alot too. I bought a VMP and used it for while and then tried Bamachips and I was very disappointed. But Stanger98 suggests that Brenspeed beats both. I'm going to buy a tune from them soon and see.
Was there something wrong with the tune or were you just disappointed with how it performed?

I'm just curious as i've never heard anything but good things about bamachips.

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yea im very curious too, i have the Bama 91 Race and its very cool. Can you be more specific whats bad about it?

13' Mustang GT 5.0L Grabber Blue 401a, 6spd manual, Brembo brake pkg with Boss radiator, engine oil cooler, Torsen differential & 3.73 gears. Back up camera with Navigation.
Mods - Flowmaster Outlaw, Roush front, side, rear splitter. Roush hood scoop + quarter window louvers, Barton 2 piece shifter bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page