Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2005 Mustang V6 Auto Trans STIFF Shifting

8K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Geezer 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced a VERY stiff shifter action on their 2005 V6?

Ours just got EXTREMELY stiff this weekend...going from park to any gear. Never had an issue before.

Thanks,
Dan

#2 ·
stiff as in? its hard to shift from park to neutral or drive,3,2,1? do you park on a hill or any kind of incline? i noticed if i park at my buddy's house on a hill, shifting from P to D is stiff. so i set my e brake before i shift to P, solved the problem.

#3 ·
Stiff as in hard to move period! Took it to the dealer today and was told it needs replacing...to the tune of $400...luckily, it's still under warranty.
So far, I'm not too impressed with this shifter (and I work for a company that builds Ford OEM parts!)

Dan

#4 ·
Could have a fluid leak or a number of other things, id be interested to know what $400 fix ford is doing for your transmission. Please let us know

#5 ·
i have the same ? as chris. be sure to let us know. they may have said 400$ before they knew it was under warranty...i know car dealerships are hurting for money but come on!

#6 ·
on my old 98 v6 the shifter wouldnt even shift without me sticking a pencil and hitting the right spot on it.

they just replaced some plastic piece.

but in relation to the question mine was stiff before that happened....
doubt its the same problem because the shifter was changed...

#9 ·
Well, the dealer first disassembled everything and tried to re-lube it.
I've never been successful trying something like this with automobile shift or throttle cables (and I have a motorcycle cable lube kit that I've been using successfully on bikes for years).
The dealer said that the normal cost, parts and installation, is $400.
Luckily, we bought an extended warrantee ....but still the car's only got 27,000 miles on it!

On a funny note...When I took the car to TASCA Ford, my local dealer, the serial number rang up on the work order as a Super Snake! A V6 Snake?! Nobody has any idea how that came up on the computer.

Dan

#12 ·
My shifter shifts very hard into park when she is in "R" or when she is in park and shifts into "R". No most of the time when going in or out of reverse, i shift her into "N", wait a second, press the brake in very firmly, then quickly shift. It reduces the "clunk"

#14 ·
FINALLY got the new shifter installed...the difference is like night and day. It now shifts smooth as silk.
I got no answers from the mechanic regarding what happened to cause the old one to get so bad. I had asked them to save the old parts but when I asked again, all I got was "They were thrown away". They wouldn't look for them either! Not a good way to build customer satisfaction, that's fer sure.

Geezer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.