Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake Service $240 plus tax

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  05horse 
#1 ·
i called ford to see how much it would be to have my barkes serviced change my fluid replace pads and machine rotors and $240 is way too much not including the parts

Has anyone serviced there brakes on there mustang and if so how hard was it?

#4 ·
its a DIY job bro, its not hard at all...

take off wheels, un-bolt caliper bracket and caliper, replace disc (or resurface, which oreily's can do for free), replace pads.

you really donlt need to flush your fl\luid
i took it to ford they said my fluid needs to be flushed is that an easy job too ?

#5 ·
to flush fluid just take the tube off of the res, drain, then refill with new fluid.

bleed the brakes out. open up one bleeder and bleed out 1/4 the res, close it, then another bleeder 1/4 do this all the way around till theres barely in the res, not running it completely out.

might take 20 mintues or so, then fill with new fluid again.

then to do brakes

i reccomend doing breaks first, as to if u fill the res. back up, then compress the calipers, it will more than likely over flow.

if you do the bleeding first, when u fill it back up for the second time only fill itup 1/4 the way

Well after a screw in the tire and a trip to the local pep boys. ( another story in its self, i wouldent let pep boys change my oil, but they dident have a 4 hour wait... and why i was there they screwed a guys bumper up!)

i got a set of the duralast gold C max ceramic brake pads.( PN DGC1081 $59.99) ( picture 1 ) what a fancy box!

Tools needed
Tire iron
breaker bar
5/8 socket
12 MM socket
thin gloves if ya got em! or a few bandaids!
SAFETY GLASSES!

Step 1. remove front tire.

Step 2. turn wheel so the caliper is farthest out from the wheel well ( turn right when doing drivers side, left passenger side)

Step 3. WEARING SAFTEY GLASSES use the 5/8 socket and losen the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on. (picture 2)

Step 4. use the 12mm socket to losen the 2 bolts that hold the pad block to the caliper.(picture 3) ( pic 3 is already it off, picture quality was alot better than picture 2!)

Step 5. remove all the bolts and pull the pad holder from the caliper, rest caliper on a crate i used my jack.

Step 6. take the old pads out, and the clips. replace clips with supplied new clips (picture 4)
play around with them the spring end goes on the outside, and 4 are slightly smaller than 4 others play around till you get them all to snap in right, ad supplied lube.

Step 7. slide brakes in the way they go, also seeing picture 4. before you remove old pads, look at how the retainng clips are on. wear gloves, i slipped and cut both thumbs at the nail! nothing some fast orange wont fix!

Step 8. take off the brake fluid cap. use a C clamp to slowly push pistons back in starting with top first then bottom. ( picture 5)

Step 10. slide brake pad holder back in to caliper, put the 12 mm bolts back in, slide over rotor, put the 5/8 bolts back in tighten down

Step 11. put tire back on and repeat.

total time, 1 hour includeing BS with the guys next door.

these are some of the easyer brakes that i have done before! good luck any questiosn PM me!

Keith

pics dident transfer but its easy to do.

any questions just PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.