2007 V6 Mustang-manual Transmission trouble - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009 Thread Starter

2007 V6 Mustang-manual Transmission trouble

Hey guys, My mother has an 2007, V6 Manual transmission . It is now at the dealership for a 2nd gear issue.

Right now it is intermittent , when she downshifts form 3rd to 2nd it will sometimes not go into 2nd. Its like it just doesn't want to. It will usually NOT grind when this happens but has on occasion.

The trans as already been replaced once due to this problem and now it is starting again. It starts intermittent then begins getting worse and worse. The dealer claims nothing is wrong but warranty is nearing its end so i think they are playing their game.

does anyone know what this problem is and is it common with this Trans.

sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
well, how fast was she going? it dont wanna go in till certin speeds on any of em ive tried.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

got the same problem! i was thinking its my shoft throw but now im kinda worried..i might put the stock back in and take it to the dealer!

2006 4.0 5-Spd Mustang
17"American Racing Torque II rims w/Kumho tires-Magnaflows-AEM CAI-XCal3 Bama 91 Torque- Motive 4.10 gears- FRPP T-lok- Screamin' Demon Coil- Livewires Red- Touch screen In-Dash-Hurst Short Throw-Corbeau 4-Point Harnesses and Bar-12"Kicker Comp-White Gauges-S2000 Start Button-8K HIDs-Roush Rockers-CDC Aggressive Chin Spoiler-CDC Billet Grille-3D Carbon Headlight Splitters-Street Scene Rear Valance-Street Scene Ducktail Spoiler-Painted Valve Covers- CDC Pony Tri-Bar

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05horse View Post
well, how fast was she going? it dont wanna go in till certin speeds on any of em ive tried.
Yeah, I'm no mechanic or close to one, but like he said, mine won't go in to second or first until I'm down to a slow enough speed.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Race Red with White Racing Stripes, 3.55 Gears, 6 Speed, 19 in. Aluminum Wheel, and more to come...

SOLD: 2007 Mustang V6, C&L CAI, Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, Sequential Taillights, 3D Carbon Blackout Panel, 3D Carbon Side Vents, 3D Carbon Louvers, Roush Hood Scoop, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, 14" Shorty Antenna
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009
PONY Member

Don't let the dealer tell you that the problem is normal. It's not. If you need to go as far as writing a letter to Ford, go ahead and do that. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd shouldn't be a problem unless you are spinning to many rpm in 3rd. I've never had this problem on my car. The only one that should be difficult is the 2nd to 1st shift. Once in a rare while I'll have the 2nd to 3rd brick wall and I used to have a problem with the 3rd to 5th shift (it would grind and clunk), but I just stopped doing that.
You should be able to spin up around 3500rpm in 3rd gear and shift into 2nd gear no problem.

My Stable:
2006 Ford Mustang V6 Pony Package (Sally)
2009 Mercury Milan
1992 Mustang GT (auto)
1986 Ford Bronco XLT (Papa)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

hey im gonna post this in the forums classified too but i got a hurst short throw im selling for the V6, PM if your interested!

2006 4.0 5-Spd Mustang
17"American Racing Torque II rims w/Kumho tires-Magnaflows-AEM CAI-XCal3 Bama 91 Torque- Motive 4.10 gears- FRPP T-lok- Screamin' Demon Coil- Livewires Red- Touch screen In-Dash-Hurst Short Throw-Corbeau 4-Point Harnesses and Bar-12"Kicker Comp-White Gauges-S2000 Start Button-8K HIDs-Roush Rockers-CDC Aggressive Chin Spoiler-CDC Billet Grille-3D Carbon Headlight Splitters-Street Scene Rear Valance-Street Scene Ducktail Spoiler-Painted Valve Covers- CDC Pony Tri-Bar
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus209 View Post
hey im gonna post this in the forums classified too but i got a hurst short throw im selling for the V6, PM if your interested!

no selling in the forums at all

yea today i couldent hardly get my shifter out of R... i was like what the heck?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009 Thread Starter

she isnt shifting too early / RPMs too high , she has been driving manual trans since she was a kid. (learned on my dads "69 camaro SS ) And as i said in my first post replacing the original Trans fixed the issue but now it is starting in this trans.

Sounds like this is common on this Trans though.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012
Rookie

same issue, 1st->2nd, 3rd->2nd, told the bushings within the transmission are the problem and need to be replaced.
GT Member

I believe bushings are only in the shifter, synchros are in the tranny and are what wear making it difficult to shift into gears.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
Rookie

well the tranny gets gutted on Wednesday so when I get it back I will post what was done/replaced.
Apprentice

not sure if this would help but I had 50k on a 2010 v6 and the the tranmission was ok but not smooth. I had problems getting into first. I drained my fluid and used mobile 1 synthetic and it made a huge difference in the smoothness of the transmission...

Good luck

Daniel

Ennis, TX

-------- 2012 Kona Blue GT Premium, Roush Stage 1, Barton shifter and bracket, Cue ball, brembo wheels, gt500 mufflers, resonator delete, Shelby sway bars with Steeda mounts, Eibach pro kit springs,
PONY Member

i went through two transmissions. ford didn't know what was going on. i gott tired of them telling me that it wasn't covered under warrenty even though i had the 100,000 mile warrenty. i finally got tired of it and put a tr3650 from a 2006 mustang gt in it. since then i've had no problems and as far as smoothness and shifting, it has a quality feeling that the v6 could never match. i tried the hurst shifter, the steeda shifter, and even the factory shifter. not any differnce for the v6 trans. the tr3650 is the cats ass. best upgrade i've ever done. i think ford screwed up on the specs of the flywheel. plus the t-5 has been known to be a weak trans. good luck!

dual ram air,jet maf,bbk 70tb, msd wires, fusion plugs,dual exhaust,xpype,no mufflers and dumps,lt headers,hi flows,3650 trans,c/f d/f clutch,fadanza al flywheel,hurst shifter, al ds safety loop,8.8 rear w/ 3.31 and t-lock,sct tuner,che upper and lowers, drag shocks,swar bar,4 point rear brace,steeda panhard bar and brace,gt springs,nitto555,g-track brace w/ tq limiters,drilled/slotted rotors,gt rims,gt fuel pumps,mafia, Vortech HO system, power pipe,380rwhp,355rwtq.
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to mustangblue01
Quote:
Originally Posted by longalan2 View Post
i went through two transmissions. ford didn't know what was going on. i gott tired of them telling me that it wasn't covered under warrenty even though i had the 100,000 mile warrenty. i finally got tired of it and put a tr3650 from a 2006 mustang gt in it. since then i've had no problems and as far as smoothness and shifting, it has a quality feeling that the v6 could never match. i tried the hurst shifter, the steeda shifter, and even the factory shifter. not any differnce for the v6 trans. the tr3650 is the cats ass. best upgrade i've ever done. i think ford screwed up on the specs of the flywheel. plus the t-5 has been known to be a weak trans. good luck!
I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious. How difficult was it to make that swap?
Rookie

Can you provide details on your manual transmission from a GT into a 2005-09 V6.
My transmission is terrible.
New flywheel?
New clutch disk?
New pressure plate?
New transmission mount?
Clutch cylinder
shifter
???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page