Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheapest set of gears?

806 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  burnrubber4.0 
#1 ·
Hey I'm trying to upgrade to 4.10 gears. A while back you guys showed me a good set with a t-lock but it was over $400 and I simply dont have that kinda money right now plus install =/

Does anyone know where I can get just the gears without the t-lock?

I just want the gears and everything needed to bring to the body shop

#2 ·
no no no:nono: dont look at it as cheapest set of gears especially for a one time deal, look at best all around gears, 373 are real good for street/strip applications period. 410s are tall gears for daily driving unless you have a 6 speed, I have 430s and well lets just say 4500 at 50mph isnt really user friendly. Think long term not budget.

#3 ·
body shops dont normally do gear installs ....

2nd you really dont wanna skip out on gears ... i say pay for the better ones, thats one thing you never do is skimp on upgrades!

if you cant afford it right now then just save its the best thing to do, because if you dont already have trac lok, then youll definitly want it, and if you already have it im sure youll be fine without replacing it your vehicle is fairly newer so.. just gears will be fine,

and for gears i would suggest Ford Racing gears, they are what i have and are very quiet.

motive gears too

#5 ·
It's a no brainer that T-lock should be installed when changing your gears. Why? Because you will spin 1 tire all the time with 3.73 or 4.10 but tlock helps on traction when power goes to 2 wheels. 2nd reason is you have to pay for the labour twice if you don't install it at the same.
I bought my Tlock and 3.73 gears around $150 from a guy on ebay and every week he puts one for sale because he has a differential shop, the tlock was almost brand new, the gears had a small chip but it didn't have any contact to the teeths so it was the shop fixed it and I havnt had issue so far. I suggest to install tlock and gears at the same time or just save untill you can afford both.

#6 ·
listen, i've got a set of brand new in the box 4.10 gears, tlok and the bearing kit whcih is needed for the installation. on ebay if you search "mustang v6 4.10 gears bearing" you will see my item.

The buy it now price is 400 but your a forum member and i know modding gets expensive so if you bump the bid to 350 i'll sell them to you right now.

pm me if you have any more questions or check out ebay.

#8 ·
if you want quality and performance with no chance of whine...save up..bite the bullet, and get an 8.8 takeoff with the 4:10s and lock already installed. newtakeoff.com expensive yes...but i just installed mine tonight and waxed a z28 out of the driveway. best mod i have ever done. you can install it yourself with a jack,jackstands, blue loc tite, basic hand tools + torx bits, and about 3 hours with a buddy....2 if youre good.

#9 ·
i= you can install it yourself with a jack,jackstands, blue loc tite, basic hand tools + torx bits, and about 3 hours with a buddy....2 if youre good.
What exactly does that mean burnruber? If youre good.... Does that mean if I help a little old lady across the street today, I would be able to do it in 2 hrs? :shigrin Or does it mean if I don't drink any beer while I'm doin it, I can do it in 2? I have a story for you, I used the Navy auto shop to do mine.... Air tools, full lift, and a paid helper to come to my assistance...... had it done in about an hour and 3/4....:happyhapp SWeET Biggest problem was gettin the rotors off, had to bang on em with a rubber mallet. Everything else? Cake.

As to the question at hand? I agree with burnruber..buy a GT takeoff for idk $800 or $900 or so, with either 3.73's or 4.10's if you have an auto, and install yourself. Best way to go in my opinion. I have no fear that my n/a (or power adder in the future) 4.0 will EVER challenge the integrity of my rear axle. Makes me sleep better at night. Couldn't say that about the 7.5
Plus, if you are dilligent and search craigslist or ebay, you might find a screamin good deal on a takeoff rear end. Put your money under your pillow bud, and save more till you have enuf to do it right. That is the ONLY smart thing to do.

#10 ·
haha yea... throwin a few back can cause some time to be lost. took me a total of 3 1/2 hours with hand tools, jack and jack stand. iv got some serious arm pump haha. my DS actually came off relatively hard...took some mean muscle. im 6'3" and 245lbs of man beast thatl bench 375...but i had some trouble getting them bolts out. nothin PB blaster couldnt soak into and soften up but it surprised me. isnt it just great when u buy an axle for 800...then find one for 400 a week later...i LOVE when that happens. that one sold...but im sure if u stuck around and took your time you could find a great deal on a lightly used rear end. good luck and seriously consider that option

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.