05 power draw killing battery overnight, HELP - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009 Thread Starter

05 power draw killing battery overnight, HELP

Ok, so my car was dying overnight and i had to jump it every morning. I had the alternator tested and 2 places confirmed it was bad. I replaced that for 250 bucks and the next morning hit a deer. Left it at the body shop for a week to get those repairs (another 250 dollars for a deductable) and got it back and noticed right away it was hard starting. This morning, it was so bad it almost didn't turn over at all.

I figure something is drawing power and draining the battery and assumed it was my amp for my subwoofers, however, using a light circuit thing have found out the draw is from the main terminal and not from my power amp cable. I am hoping someone is familiar with what system may be drawing this constant power and killing my battery as I have already smoked an alternator due to this problem. Any hlep would be HUGELY appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
PONY Member

from what it sounds like with it having to be jumped and it having hard starts it sounds like your starter is starting to take a poop.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009 Thread Starter

well, im outside right now and the circuit tester shows that there is a draw, except when i uhooked the fuse box, the light is off, so its a system in there drawing the power, just wasnt sure if anyone had run into this problem and copuld save me from pulling each fuse one at a time to see what is drawing the power.

Also, it doesnt hard start everytime, only when it has sat 10 hours or more and the longer it sits, the worse it is...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Make sure you don't have moisture in the smart junction box area. The removable panel on the passenger side.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
SHELBY GT 500 Member

have you replaced your battery? i replaced mine and within days the oem died sitting on the bench. it was perfect timing. your due if you have the oem in there in which case i have 3 words. die hard gold

05 V6 auto,
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
SHELBY GT 500 Member

that red light on the dash that stays blinking draws power when the car is sitting.

05 V6 auto,
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to burnrubber4.0
some have had problems with the shaker stereo. make sure you push the volume button and turn it off before u shut it off...might help

2006 4.0 V6 Mustang/X Charger #128
Mods: Too many, check out my profile.
Probably currently under modification...
My wheels are for sale! Look in the classifieds!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009

did you wire the amp and speakers yourself? If you didnt wire a remote wire coming from the head unit into the amp it could be drawing power...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I had this same problem at 40,000.
Funny I bought a die hard gold too. Havn't had a problem since. Those oem batteries can be crap.
I went through the whole test thing too. Found out there's a battery saver circuit that shuts everything down after the car has been sitting for 45 minutes, so to get a true test, you have to disconnect the pos cable and then reconnect with a jumper. Wait 45 minutes, attach the meter across it and then remove the jumper. This is how you'll know what's drawing when it is sitting overnight. I had a 3 1/2 amp draw at the fuse that goes to the smart junction box. I believe that's what killed my battery.
Do you remember ever starting it in the morning and it started ok, but the stereo memory was wiped out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page