Recurring problem at the gas pump (3+ years) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009 Thread Starter
Oly

Recurring problem at the gas pump (3+ years)

I have owned my 2006 Mustang since the end of March, 2006. Almost every time I took my car in for service, I made the same complaint. The filling station gas pumps would shut of after filling maybe half the tank, about half the time. This has gone on for over 3 years now. The dealer would check everything out and always had the same answer, they could not find anything wrong. Yesterday, the computer indicated I needed 11 gallons. I started off setting the lever at the least amount of flow that would still pump gas. The pump shut off at 2 1/2 gallons and from there on, it was a complete comedy of errors. As it turned out, I needed 10 1/2 gallons. It seems to make no difference, set the lever at the lowest flow with the latch or hand operate the lever. The maddening thing is it doesn't always do it, maybe about 1/2 the time I try to fill it.

I remember there was a problem with the 2005's but Ford was supposed to have fixed the problem. The last time I posted this problem no one else had experienced this. I guess my reason for posting this is just to see if I'm still all by myself with this problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009
PONY Member

Try turning the pump sideways as far as u can while pumping...works well for me..havent had a problem since

2007 V6 Auto..BBK Cai...Pypes Cut and Clamp X-Pipe to Dual FRPP GTA's... 87 Bama Performance..Ebay Shorties...2011 18" stock GT Rims
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Did it ever occur to you, that it could be the nozzle itself and not your filler tube? Do you use the same gas station all the time? I do and had that with my 01 Lightning, and 96 Cobra. I always used the same pump also, what it turned out to be was the nozzle. I know what your going through, and I know it's frustrating just try another gas station. Same brand just a different station, and see if you still have the same problem, Mike. SCT Tuner.

70 BOSS,with a 71 429 SCJ 8.0:1 compression with an F-3 Pro Charger and 39lbs. of boost. Rectangular Tube Chassis, Custom 17" Magnum 500 Wheels. Just way too much to list, but what a ride. P.S. Hang on tight!!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009
Apprentice
5.0L Member

i have a friend who has an 05 that is now doing the same thing. I looked it up on alldata and there is a TSB for replacing the gas tank with a revised model. however, you are correct that the 06 models are supposed to be using the revised tank. if you really wanted to go for it you could change the tank.

1988 GT

ASE certified technician
(5 of 8 so far)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009
Rookie

i've had this same problem at all 3 shell stations in my area. im not sure if this is just a coinsidence or what but if i pay with cash or credit card it pumps gas til the tank is full but if i use a gas card i almost never lets me put more than $20 in the tank. mine is an 07 so im not sure why my car doesnt have the reised tank either lol

"if theres a Will theres a way"

mrt axel-back or no muffler(depending on my mood lol), black foose 500 rims w/ Falken FK452's, c&l intake, x3 bama 91 race, motive 4.10's, ford racing trac-lok
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009
Rookie

my o5 v6 does this. i use shell. shuts off every three freakin seconds. i figured out that if you pull the nozzle out as far as possible without it coming out of the hole it seems to work fine. i think its the sensors inside the pump that think your tank is full but infact its not. idk... just my advice from experience.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009
SHELBY GT 500 Member

i hold the handle at the 3:00 position and it pumps in just fine and to full. its been a very common problem, but this method works just fine.

05 V6 auto,
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to jrowledge
The issue is that that the fuel tank straddles the driveshaft with a hump in the bottom of the tank. I park mine on the low side of the pump island and pull the nozzle out slightly and have no issues. There isn't a device inside the tank to shut off the fuel flow, you just have to allow the vapor in the tank to come out at the same rate as the fuel going in.

Jim
2007 GT/CS, Vista Blue, FRP 200hp supercharger, Ford Racing GTA mufflers, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust,GT-500 rear spoiler, FRP short throw shifter. Eibach Mutli-Pro Coil Over Suspension, BMR K Member & Adjustable Lower Control Arms, Steeda Bump Steer Kit, Steeda X-5 Ball Joints,Maximum Caster Camber Plates(required maching my Steeda Billet strut tower brace end mounts), CHE Adjustable Lower Contols Arms and Anti Squat Brackets. GT-500 wheels and tires, Ford Racing 14" Brembo brake set-up.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009 Thread Starter
Oly

I've had it happen at Shell and at Costco, more often at Costco. Unfortunately, I've had attendants tell me I can't rotate the nozzle. I tried to explain the problem to them but they have this "one size fits all" mentality.... "you can't do that, it doesn't look like the picture in the book." The comedy of errors I was referring to is after 3 years of frustration I accidently spilled a tablespoon or so of gas, most of it on the side of my car at a Costco station.

Anyway, thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

the pump works on a back pressure system. the fuel going in the tank and the air beeing released or not 1 to 1 in terms of psi. the fuel cap and tank are designed to account for this and stop the pump when the tank is just about full based on the rate of exchange of pressure. When there is too much pressure the pump stops. There is no sensor or anything like that, its a very old science.this is why gating the flow of gas going in and changing the angle of the nozzle helps. your changing the ratio between gas going in and air coming out.That being said, your are experiancing a problem becouse the tank or filler mechanism are not installed correctly and your tank is under just enough pressure to make the pump stop. There is a margin for error but your more then likely outside it. Whats the fix? Have the gas tank removed and reinstalled or just become patient and look for a trick to help with filling. I'd just become more patient myself.
One trick, now that I think about it. When you go to costco get in the wrong line so the pump is on the other side of the car from the cap. Drape the hose over the top of the car (carful not to scratch it) and this way the nosey attenendt will not be so pissy about the way you hold the nozzle.

SHO
GT500 Front End Swap, Monster H1 Deep Draw Hood, Web Electric Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Coyote Tail Lights, 2010 Interior Door Panals, 2012 Sun Visors w/ Illuminated Mirrors and Homelink
GO
Coming Soon!
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
This is a well documented TSB. I hold the handle upside down (when i'm allowed to pump it here in NJ) and it works fine for me.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

PONY Member

I had the same prob on my 05, had the tank replaced.... no probs. If you are under warrenty still, consider having the tank replaced.

2005 Torch red, predator 93 octane, K&N filter, Pypes true duals, Eibach Pro-kit springs,4.10 posi 8.8 rear end. GT fanblades with Eagle F1's, GT500 rear bumper/spoiler/front splitter
Apprentice

maybe you guys should use bp gas like ford recomends lol just kidding ive had this problems a few times as well but never at a bp i think its a conspiracy haha

2006 v6 silver with 12'' black racing stripes billet grille flow master at axel back sct tuner with bama 93 race 75 shot zex wet kit jlt cai and a memphis ten inch sub coming soon 4.10 gears and side window louvers

while most people run out of the burning building im running in pulling the ones out who cant escape the flames never forget those who lost there lives that day and honor those who sacrificed there lives to save another 9/11 God bless them
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
i hold the handle at the 3:00 position and it pumps in just fine and to full. its been a very common problem, but this method works just fine.
Same thing for me. Sometimes, there is no problem, but once in a while I have to do that.

My Stable:
2006 Ford Mustang V6 Pony Package (Sally)
2009 Mercury Milan
1992 Mustang GT (auto)
1986 Ford Bronco XLT (Papa)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page