Help? on my 2006 Mustang backup light problem - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Help? on my 2006 Mustang backup light problem

I have another post on here hoping someone has an answer for my backup light staying on when the car is parked, in park, and the switch is off. I seems the ford dealer really has no immediate answer since it has only done it twice in 1 1/2 years. I also can't get it to do it again until it just happens. One of these times the battery is going to get drained when its not in my garage. Help please if anyone has an answer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I 1st ran into a problem like this with a 95 buick I had. I found out when it did drain my battery at work. For me is was the sensor near the break peddle that determined if I was on the brake or not. It was coming loose and needed to be fixed. Took all of about 5 minutes for my GM guy to find and fix and I felt like an ass.

SHO
GT500 Front End Swap, Monster H1 Deep Draw Hood, Web Electric Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Coyote Tail Lights, 2010 Interior Door Panals, 2012 Sun Visors w/ Illuminated Mirrors and Homelink
GO
Coming Soon!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009
GT Member

Have you checked the bulb connection to make sure there is no problems there? It sounds like you just have a short somewhere.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

I am waiting for the battery to get back up right now, if it will recover this time. I haven't looked for a short but it seems odd that it is hot when the power is off. I guess I may be forced to put the car on jack stands and get on the creeper. Thanks for the replies so far as I guess this may not be a common problem. I also don't normally ask any questions on this site because if one looks around enough the question you have has normally been ask and has good feedback so why do it again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

My guess is still a faulty brake sensor but a short would make sense too. The brake light can turn on with out the ignition even when its working normal.

SHO
GT500 Front End Swap, Monster H1 Deep Draw Hood, Web Electric Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Coyote Tail Lights, 2010 Interior Door Panals, 2012 Sun Visors w/ Illuminated Mirrors and Homelink
GO
Coming Soon!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Stangmansteve Send a message via Yahoo to Stangmansteve
yeah I have yet to come across that one yet

Deleted: Practice what you preach!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGietzen View Post
My guess is still a faulty brake sensor but a short would make sense too. The brake light can turn on with out the ignition even when its working normal.
I don't see how that could be the problem unless there is a wiring problem. The reverse light is not related to the brake light, it only comes on when the car is in reverse, and should not work with the car turned off. I may just not understand how it works however, and anything is possible.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

keep the idea coming as I won't get to it until next week when it warms up enough to get underneath and track wiring around. I don't see eithr how the brake can be involved in the backup light system. I will have to do a lot of wire testing to find how it can be hot when the switch is off. I may have to go back to the dealer since they didn't fix it when it was under warranty but is now off. If it is a reocurring problem they should still have to deal with it. I can see that going nowhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page