squeaky belt how can I fix it? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

squeaky belt how can I fix it?

My 2005 mustang has a really squeaky belt how can I fix it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Edgethis
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ustang-v6.html

This was covered just in the last few days.

2010 mustang 5spd grabber blue
GT500 rear valance GT Front Bumper
Saleen grill w Cervinis hood
Pypes dual exhaust w/ x-pipe
DG quarter window louvers
18x9/10 Cobra R w/Goodyear Eagle F1 255/275
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010
Apprentice
Classic Member

sqeaky belt

:laughlitttry just tightening it and belt dressing but probably best to go with new one. but also be sure it the belt could also be berings in alt., power stering or (water pump). even air cond. pump, i spray a little w d 40 on the shaft of pulley to check berings but carful not to make a mess

Last edited by kregalmach1; 01-23-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: not enough info the first time

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010
GT Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Digger
With the engine off -- rub a bar of soap on the side of the belt that wraps around the pulleys. It's old school but it works

The road to enlightenment can be a bumpy one. The road to stupidity.....deadly.

...Bob Sintzel 2010

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

You could turn the engine off. If that doesn't fix it, nothing will

2007 V6 Coupe Premium

Pony package, Sport Appearance Package, Pypes shorty headers, Stack Racing Sequential Taillights, Pypes X pipe, mid pipes, and Flowmaster AT's, JLT Intake, Brenspeed 93 Oct Tune, Brenspeed windshield banner, Pypes Hi-Flow cats, J&M LCAs, "Boss" hood stripes, Ford Racing Oil Gauge & Voltmeter, SOS A-pillar pods, Steeda Strut tower brace, Steeda TB spacer. Shh..Reggie's a dirty word.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

There was a Horsepower or some show like that recently on TV that addressed this. They said remove the belt and wash the grooves with a mild detergent/water mix and use a toothbrush to clean the grooves really good. This is a great time to give it a thorough inspection for cracking and missing chunks. Use the same thing on the pulley grooves. Let everything dry and install if it inspected good. If it is original, this is also a good time to just replace it. and clean the pulleys.

Frank

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Brembos, Auto, GT500 Axlebacks.

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed stick w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple S/C, 3.31 gear, GTA's. GT500 front end, spoiler, suspension and wheels. Sequentials and one touch. - can't wipe the smile off my face.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member

squeaky belt

believe it or not try one squirt of armor all. i found this out from a guy on another forum that had a celica and a screathching belt. i just replaced my belt because it was too long due to removing the smog pump and it started squeaking. one squirt of armor all and its fixed

94 5.0, 3.55s, bbk cold air intake, mild cam, smog pump removed, edelbrock 190lph fuel pump, shorty headers, off-road h-pipe with flowmaster dumps, hurst shifter, drag shocks, 8 point roll cage
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member

squeaky belt

by the way use the original armor all for your dash

94 5.0, 3.55s, bbk cold air intake, mild cam, smog pump removed, edelbrock 190lph fuel pump, shorty headers, off-road h-pipe with flowmaster dumps, hurst shifter, drag shocks, 8 point roll cage
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011
GT Member

4.0's are notorious for this, Explorers have this problem too. Most blame it on the poor pulley design as they wear.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
belts , noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page