broken FRPP t-lok (limited-slip differential) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

broken FRPP t-lok (limited-slip differential)

haven't been on here much for an easy reason to assume. i haven't modded, or even thought about modding (blasphemy, i know). i've been content for the last few months. as many of you remember, back in september i got my 4.10's and an lsd to go with my new gears. well yesterday i heard some clunking in the rear end that became increasingly louder. i got my pony home and took her to the mechanic first thing this morning. as soon as the diff cover came off i heard some metal rattling and i knew the results would not be good. my t-lok was in shambles and it had completely shattered the spider gears. the noise were metal fragments getting caught in my ring gear the ring gear isn't damaged though, thank god. dallas mustang installed both and they're notorious for having peanut brained mechanics. it appears this one might not have been their fault, though. i called ford racing and sent them pics. it looks like they're going to be sending me a replacement pretty quick. i've heard of these problems with the 7.5 rear ends at higher power levels but this is pretty rediculous knowing i have nothing but bolt ons. perhaps i should've gone with the 8.8. oh well, i'll keep you guys posted

here's a picture of what my mechanic pulled out of the rear end.

207.0/218.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnshepherd View Post
haven't been on here much for an easy reason to assume. i haven't modded, or even thought about modding (blasphemy, i know). i've been content for the last few months. as many of you remember, back in september i got my 4.10's and an lsd to go with my new gears. well yesterday i heard some clunking in the rear end that became increasingly louder. i got my pony home and took her to the mechanic first thing this morning. as soon as the diff cover came off i heard some metal rattling and i knew the results would not be good. my t-lok was in shambles and it had completely shattered the spider gears. the noise were metal fragments getting caught in my ring gear the ring gear isn't damaged though, thank god. dallas mustang installed both and they're notorious for having peanut brained mechanics. it appears this one might not have been their fault, though. i called ford racing and sent them pics. it looks like they're going to be sending me a replacement pretty quick. i've heard of these problems with the 7.5 rear ends at higher power levels but this is pretty rediculous knowing i have nothing but bolt ons. perhaps i should've gone with the 8.8. oh well, i'll keep you guys posted

here's a picture of what my mechanic pulled out of the rear end.

whats the difference between an 8.8 rear end and a 7.5

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010
GT Member

OOO. thats nasty! Sorry this happened! Maybe you should have someone else install it this time?

'87 COUPE, DSS 331, AFR 185's, XE282HR Cam, Victor Jr. Intake, Barry Grant Speed Demon 650, Long Tubes, PA Super Comp C4

11.49 @ 119 1.72 60'

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

8.8 is a little bigger and beefier. That's sucks to hear. atleast they are sending you a new one. I had some 4.10's installed by DM and they lasted atleast till i sold it with no problems.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

e-gads... have you been running it pretty hard? that hasnt been a common problem in the last couple years. ive only heard of the clutches messing up, and even that has been rare. i`m getting ready to install mine here as soon as it warms up just a wee bit more.

05 V6 auto,
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010
PONY Member
2.3L Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to mustangmadman33
wow that really sucks im sorry to hear about that. its good that ford racing is stepping up

95 teal gt 5 speed-edelbrock perfromer rpm heads, tmoss ported lower gt40, 95 cobra upper, crane 2031,70mm bbk tb, strange 10way's, jandm upper/lower control arms, ac/smog/egr delete ffrp z spec t5,centerfore dual friction clutch, BBK equal length shorties, bbk off road h pipe, Hurst short throw, 3.73, ffrp c springs,dynomax side exhaust, 26 x 10.5R16 mickeythompson et street radials 13.2 at 104.5mph with a 2.0 60' without tune.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

didn't run it hard at all. haven't done but one or two street races and haven't been to the track yet. waited the full break in period before stepping on it. everyone i've talked to seems to think it's dallas mustang's fault, in which case i am going to demand they pay my mechanic's labor and the cost of the t-lok if ford racing refuses. they also didn't bolt my friends diff cover on all the way AND left a wheel loose as he drove away. VERY INCOMPETENT MECHANICS. never use them!

207.0/218.4
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

my friend is offering to sell me his 8.8 with 3.73's in it. i could do that and take the 4.10 ring & pinion (since they're unharmed) and sell them for a small price of maybe $100. there's only 15k miles on them so im sure someone wouldn't mind saving some green. what do you guys think?

207.0/218.4
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

update: dallas mustang claimed it wasn't their problem etc. ford racing didn't hesitate and sent out a brand new traction lock the next business day.

207.0/218.4
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
update: dallas mustang claimed it wasn't their problem etc. ford racing didn't hesitate and sent out a brand new traction lock the next business day.
thats some good service by ford racing. i still cant help but think something wasnt installed right, just because there are alot of these units in action. but stuff happens

05 V6 auto,
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

oh i know it was dallas mustang's fault. i'm bringing my mechanic's receipt to them and raising some hell. if they won't pay, i'm taking them to court lawyerless. i have evidence they rushed through it (3 days behind on labor) and my mechanic told me it wasn't installed correctly. if i don't win in court there will be nothing lost but if i win, that makes me 1-0 and puts money in my pocket. they had to buy a new bearing kit, completely set up my rear end again, and fill it with royal purple oil again. total bill came out to a little over 300 plus taxes. my mechanic said he'd be willing to testify plus they saved the old t-lok for me to show DM.

207.0/218.4
BOSS Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

holy crap, that is insane! what the hell did you do to that poor rear end!!!! glad to hear FRPP stepped up to the plate and and jacked one out

1985 Regatta Blue vert 5.0- 87 5.0 shortblock, T5 transmission, Steeda Tri-ax Shifter, A/C delete, UDP's, edelbrock rpm performer intake, holley 600 4bbl carb, dual flowmaster 44's with o/r H pipe, MSD ignition, 1.72 roller rockers, Tokico HP shocks/struts, FRPP B springs, FRPP 4.10's

2003 F150 Lariat 4x4-DD
2007 V6 Nitrous injected-SOLD
2002 GT 5 speed- SOLD
Rake

Quote:
oh i know it was dallas mustang's fault. i'm bringing my mechanic's receipt to them and raising some hell. if they won't pay, i'm taking them to court lawyerless. i have evidence they rushed through it (3 days behind on labor) and my mechanic told me it wasn't installed correctly. if i don't win in court there will be nothing lost but if i win, that makes me 1-0 and puts money in my pocket. they had to buy a new bearing kit, completely set up my rear end again, and fill it with royal purple oil again. total bill came out to a little over 300 plus taxes. my mechanic said he'd be willing to testify plus they saved the old t-lok for me to show DM.
Good, keep us updated on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page