2005 V6 4.0 Motor Engine Catastrophic Damage HELP! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69maverick View Post
#1FL Did you read my post :?: Did Anyone read it? You may not need a motor. You can't take a compression test with a bad timing set, It is going to put the valves out of time! This will produce the low compression. Was there ant warning lights prior to the shut down? Did the engine run bad before the shut down? If not the rings don't just fall off!! This needs to be looked into further before you go to any junk motor or spend anymore money!!
69maverick, yea I read your Post, and I agree the motor may not be as bad as they say, I was only going with what he said about it. True nobody knows what's up with it untill you get into it. But befor I had someone tear the Motor apart I'd see if E-Bay's Buyer Protection and Pay-Pal can resolve this first.
Ron

2002 GT Premium Auto Mineral Grey. Pypes Violater Cat Back Exhaust.
2003 V6 Auto Oxford White, all original no Mods
SOLD 2007 V6 Premium Pony
FORD BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS
SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

My 2 cents!

If I were you, I would take it to a place that does motor rebuilds on site. Or If you have the capacity to take the front of the motor apart and inspect the timing set. At that point if the timing set was bad replace it and before you put it back together take a compression test. Here's my take on this, If the engine was running normal before it died I would not think there is a ring and piston problem. Take the plugs out and compare them to the other ones, If there all the same then they were all probably running the same. They should have a slight golden look to them or even clean if it was running a bit lean. There should not be any deposits or metal Aluminum looking stuff on them. Was there any warning lights or codes prior to the malfunctions? If not this would really confirm my thoughts that there is not a ring problem. If there was a valve or valve train problem it could also cause these symptoms. Take the valve covers off and crank the motor over and observe there operation making sure there opening and closing. This is some of the steps I would take before you spend your hard erned money. I would not put to much faith in EBAY helping you. But It won't hurt to ask.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Isn't the timing chain breaking a pretty catastrophic event that usually happens when the car is running? Obviously the car wouldn't run with a broken chain. This sounds like something different.

Current ride: 2014 Deep Impact Blue V6 Premium Convertible with Pony Package.

Former ride:2005 Torch Red V6 Convertible, premium interior with dark charcoal leather. PIE aux input adaptor/XM SkiFi3, GT muffler, K&N drop in air filter, GT front and rear sway bars. CAI and tune in the near future!

Rookie

Not really!

In the scheme of things a timing chain is not a catastrophic thing as far major break downs can be. That is if this motor has a timing chain? It could have direct drive gears or even a belt. I have not gotten that info yet, But I would bet it has drive gears. In any case a repair of this type is much better than a low compression issue. But in any case I have to agree that the dealers diagnosis is a bit off the mark!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Whether or not a timing chain break is catostrophic is based on whether the 4.0 engine is an interference design or not.

Interference means that if the timing was off so much that a valve was open when a piston is nearing the top of it's travel, there is such little clearance that the piston would hit the valve, bending it and likely damaging the piston as well.

In college I had a '78 Chevy Impala with the 305 cu. in motor and I had the timing chain break. THe engine just stopped, but that engine was a non-interference design. We had to drop the oil pan to clean out the broken parts, install a new chain and sprockets and I was on my way, no worse for wear.

My brother had a Mitsubishi Eclipse that had a timing belt fail at 7K miles due to a defect where oil would drip on the timing belt and cause it to deteriorate. The entire engine had to be torn apart because of bent valves. Fortunately covered under warranty.

Does anyone know the design (interference or not) of the 4.0 engine?

2016 Roush Stage 3 Phase 2 (727hp) Convertible- Convertible bar, Roush (red) coil covers, blacked out tails, 20% tint
PONY Member
S197 Member

...also if the chain faile completely the car would not start, and when you cranked it over you would notice that it would crank over very fast becase the valve train isn't turning over with the rest of the engine. Since the engine is running (albeit not well), I'm sure you don't have a complete timing chain failure.

The best you could hope for is that the timing slipped enough to be causing the driveability problems, but not so much that there was any damage.

2016 Roush Stage 3 Phase 2 (727hp) Convertible- Convertible bar, Roush (red) coil covers, blacked out tails, 20% tint
Rookie

Heres the deal

The timing set is a 3 piece set there are 2 drive chains that run the cams and one jack shaft chain.The motor is not an interference type motor. There are several tensioners and also there have been upgrades made to the gears themselves that I read in one of the footnotes to one of the timing sets. The cost for the set is $350ish on the up side of this! It more than confirms my thoughts that a bad chain or jumped time could more than cause the loss off compression that #1Fordlover's stang has. This motor design is in several other trucks!! It really seems like a sensitive system that would not leave much room for error!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page