How to paint the rear valance? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

How to paint the rear valance?

Got my new rear valance from street scene and I would like to paint it the same color of my car (satin silver).
How to prep?
I need a guide please!
TnkX!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010
PONY Member

Wash with soap and water (to remove any traces of mold release agent)
Wet sand
Prime
Paint

Xcharger with water/meth injection, JBA headers
JBA duals with an H pipe, Roush springs, Che K member brace with torque limiters, Cervini's quarter window deletes, Canton polished tanks, Moroso fuse and master cyl covers, Cervini's cowl hood, custom GT500 chin spoiler, PJ rear louvers, Black rear spoiler, BSM custom stripes, Hurst shifter, Billet interior trim, custom door welts, Autometer dash pod, AEM wideband, Autometer boost & Fuel pressure gauges.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

How prime?
Do I need a clear coat in the end?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Needs flex additive in the paint too.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Can anybody help me step by step?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

1) Put valance in car
2) Drive to autobody shop
3) Pay professional to paint valance
4) Enjoy years of nice looking car

LOL! Totally kidding. It's the steps I would do because I suck at painting. Just take your time if you are doing it yourself.

http://69camaro.20m.com/painting101.html

'08 Vapor Silver V6 Pony package
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuber View Post
1) Put valance in car

LOL! Totally kidding. It's the steps I would do because I suck at painting. Just take your time if you are doing it yourself.

Painting 101
thats actually some good advice. by the time you buy all the equipment and materials, you will pay more than double what it will cost to have it shot in a paint booth and buffed. you can save cash by installing it yourself.

05 V6 auto,
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

So sand it with water till there is no shiny parts,spray a primer (any suggestion,any shop?Will I find one at AutoZone?) and buy a 16 oz of satin silver tl/m7049 to spray twice on it without clear coat?
Right?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010
PONY Member

You will need clear coat and you will not find the rattle can clear coat you need or Satin Silver at Autozone. You'll have to have a body & paint supply make you a rattle cans of 2 stage Satin Silver and Clear Coat. Be aware it's unlikely you'll be able to get a good match doing it yourself.
Do yourself a favor, save the headache and take the lip to a body shop for paint.

Xcharger with water/meth injection, JBA headers
JBA duals with an H pipe, Roush springs, Che K member brace with torque limiters, Cervini's quarter window deletes, Canton polished tanks, Moroso fuse and master cyl covers, Cervini's cowl hood, custom GT500 chin spoiler, PJ rear louvers, Black rear spoiler, BSM custom stripes, Hurst shifter, Billet interior trim, custom door welts, Autometer dash pod, AEM wideband, Autometer boost & Fuel pressure gauges.
PONY Member

spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayPony View Post
You will need clear coat and you will not find the rattle can clear coat you need or Satin Silver at Autozone. You'll have to have a body & paint supply make you a rattle cans of 2 stage Satin Silver and Clear Coat. Be aware it's unlikely you'll be able to get a good match doing it yourself.
Do yourself a favor, save the headache and take the lip to a body shop for paint.

couldnt have said it better. take it from sombody that has been doing body work on the side for many years. about the only thing you could do is clean it and sand it. depending on the roughness of the material and how bad of a shape it is in you will need from 80 to 400 grit paper. let the body shop prime it and paint it for you. you will be glad you did.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuber View Post
1) Put valance in car

Painting 101
+1, but not joking. If you go to multiple places, you can find someone who will breakout of their price chart and just do it for you because they like cars, for a reasonable amount. You'll be a happy camper for years!

09 V6 Convertible: Ford Racing X pipe true dual exhaust system, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs, Steeda camber plates, Steeda strut brace, rear sway bar, Tokico D Specs, C&L CAI, SCT tuner, Bama tunes, plus dress up stuff.
SHELBY GT 500 Member

i used to do alot of painting, ive got a 2000.00 air system, over 1000.00 in a couple guns, and all the other equipment, but as bad as i wanted to shoot it myself i couldnt buy the base coat/ clear coat, reducers and additives to shoot my own scoop for the 100.00 i paid to have it done.( but the reds are the most expensive paint too) i went back later and they shot my 1/4 louvs for another 100.00 and they did a awesome job.

05 V6 auto,
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

When it comes to color and quality match, you can't beat a body shop price. Unless you have a paint booth, you run the risk of getting dirt/dust in the paint. Nothing like having a fly stuck to your new paint job when you check on it in the morning. Like amustangrocks said, $100 is nothing for piece of mind. If you screw it up, you have to kick your own butt.

'08 Vapor Silver V6 Pony package
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

217$ painted near home with clearcoat.....friday is Thanks to all!
Apprentice

I see that you already finished, but Spay Paint Directions is a good walkthrough of what to do. And its also a good place to order exact matches for paint colors.

2008 Vista Blue GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page