Question about audio on mustang - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Question about audio on mustang

Ok well i got 0 response in the audio section of the forum so i decided to post here (i hope this is ok mods =D. i really got no response in the audio section. if not though just delete everything instead of moving it)

Ok so after a lot of asking question on another forum this is what ive been told to get

Amp
Component speakers
Sub enclosure
Sub

I was told that for best audio improvement, i should do the following:
Take out the 8" woofers and replace with 6.5 component speakers. for this i would have to build a baffle (basically a fancy word for enclosure.. i didnt know that so clarifying for those of you who dont know)
then place the tweeters that come with the components where the 6x8 speakers in the front go. for this they would also have to be custom mounted.
in the back put a 12" sub and have an amp that powers the sub and the two components/tweeters up front.
its been recommended not to upgrade the rear speakers unless i have a lot of passengers in the back.

here is the reference thread 06 Mustang Audio Upgrades help - DIYMA.com

Now i was wondering if anyone on here had any personal experience with this recommended set up? i brought up replacing the speakers with after market ones and everyone shot that idea down lol
would you agree that this would be a good upgrade?
(nub question) what are the boxes shown in the picture of the component speakers?
do you guys have any recommended position for the amp in the trunk?

also another side question about a head unit
Pioneer i found this one and really like it. are there any better suggestions for the same price?

once again sorry bout the odd place for this topic, but i was just hoping for some response. =D

2006 V6 Mustang
Ext. Vis: Mineral Grey w/ Yellow Stripes, Tinted windows, Shorty Antenna, Brake light chrome outline, Custom installed Fog Lights.
Int. Custom Vis: Yellow/Black Carbon fiber kit, 7 color LED ambient lights, Shaker 500 with PIE module connected to a Belkin Ipod Charger cradle.
Pref Mods: Bamachips 91 race+torque tune, C&L CAI, Custom dual exhaust w/ MAC stainless steel mufflers, Front and rear GT sway bar, Shelby strut tower brace, GT take-off shocks and struts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010
Rookie
4.6L Member

your solution

all that sounds good besides the size of the sub go with a ten. tens rebound a lot faster meaning that after they hit they are ready to hit again faster than other larger subs, they also sound a lot more crisp when they hit. i have 3 tens in the back of my cobra and they hit harder than most other systems i have heard. I used to install car audio for best buy and tens are the best thing that i've ever ran into or heard. Kicker pro comps are probably the best 10 inch subs I've heard that are around for a reasonable price also jbl audio is really good. Its what you want though just go into stores and listen to they will be louder inside the car since they are encloused.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

ya, theres not many posters in the audio section. most often you will get a answer, but it might take a while. ive got the 1000 hu and i would just like to get the door panels and amps that go with it.

05 V6 auto,

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

As you can see from my gallery pics, I have a BANGIN sound system...
What you need is:

Amp wires - what gauge wires you need depend on how much power the amps produce. I have 0 guage which is the best
High quality Amp wires will cost you around $100

Stock radio converter component - not sure exactly what it is called but it's around $10, best buy has them

And the other stuff you mentioned you will need.

GET IT INSTALLED AT BEST BUY. It will run you $80, they do it very fast and do a great job. They offer free un-installation if you get a new car or something. and they give you lifetime warranty

Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers - good website

09 Mustang V6 C/A Red with black racing stripes. Automatic. Under the Hood: JLT Cold-Air Intake, SCT 93 Octane Race Tune from Bamachips. Pypes True-Dual Exhaust w/ X-pipe and GT Takeoffs. Exhaust Cutouts. Interior: 10" Subwoofer 1,200 Watts, 1,200 Watt Insignia Amp. Chrome Auto Shifter Handles.
Best 0-60: 5.7 seconds with no traction from first gear.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

best buy only charges 80? is that for everything or does it go up depending how much you want installed?
i may use them to wire everything but imma have to buld the baffles for the front speakers myself. im amusing they would charge a lot more and it wouldn't look as good.

the reason im leaning towards a 12 is that i couldn't find a sub enclosure like the one above for a 10. i want the sub box out of the way like that one is. if you guys know of a better box plz let me know =D

also im planning on getting that after market head unit i listed above. would i still need the stock radio converter?

also how are the rear speakers wired? can i just plug them in or will i need to plug them in or should i just go to best buy and let them do it?

im assuming that amp is still more than enough even if i get teh kicker correct?

2006 V6 Mustang
Ext. Vis: Mineral Grey w/ Yellow Stripes, Tinted windows, Shorty Antenna, Brake light chrome outline, Custom installed Fog Lights.
Int. Custom Vis: Yellow/Black Carbon fiber kit, 7 color LED ambient lights, Shaker 500 with PIE module connected to a Belkin Ipod Charger cradle.
Pref Mods: Bamachips 91 race+torque tune, C&L CAI, Custom dual exhaust w/ MAC stainless steel mufflers, Front and rear GT sway bar, Shelby strut tower brace, GT take-off shocks and struts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010
Apprentice

I don't know how much bass your looking for but how about this setup...

Use two component sets using the same locations for the 6x8s. Put the tweeters for the front components in the pillars on the windshield and put the back component tweeters somewhere else in those side plastic pieces near the 6x8s. On my convertible, there is a perfect spot for the tweeters on the top plastic piece that pops off to pull off the side piece (if that makes sense).

Get an amp to run both component sets and leave the subs in the doors with the stock amps to run those. If you still want more bass then run another woofer/amp from the trunk.

I'm looking into this setup myself, I just haven't decided what components to use yet.

BBK Shorty Headers, Dual GT Takeoff Mufflers, R2C CAI, BBK Throttle Body, Halo Grille, GT Rear Bumper, Tinted Taillights, Ducktail Spoiler, Eclipse AVN 6620 w/rear camera, bluetooth, I-pod, 18x8 Rims, GT Takeoff Leather Seats
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010
PONY Member

+1 on 10" subs. i play bass and have done a lot of research and experimentation with different size speakers and different combos. 10" speakers provide a balanced, solid tone with punch and clarity and will still give you a ton of the "boom" most people are looking for. i've never been a fan of 12" speakers, for my live rig i run eight 10" speakers and two 15" speakers. the 15's are there for thickness and fullness and don't sound too great alone but they work well with the 10's. for a car i would definitely run 10" subs

2012 5.0 GT M6 Grabber Blue
300A, 3.73s, Brembo Brake package, Lethal O/R X-pipe, Mac axle back, JLT CAI, Lund cammed tune/Bama race tune, J&M LCAs, FRPP K springs, Tokico HP struts, MGW shifter, 305/18 NT555Rs

2012 Accord SE - DD
Lost loves: '97 Acura CL, '08 Mustang V6, '05 Pontiac GTO, 2011 Civic
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I'm still waiting to hear someone from this forum that has tried this path, but I like the Shelby Kicker system. It is all plug and play. I've read some reviews on different sites that have good things to say about it. I think it is cool that you can actually get your car on the Shelby Registry if installed by a certified dealer. Just 2 cents and I'm not an audio guy. So don't flame me for suggesting.

Shelby Store - Shelby GT500 Shirts, Shelby GT Shirts, Shelby GT500 Hats, Shelby GT Hats, Shelby Models, Shelby Super Snake Hats, Shelby Super Snake Shirts

'08 Vapor Silver V6 Pony package
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Yes best buy only charges $80 and they do it fast and well... I have had them install an amp and subs in 2 cars for me so far.

If you want to get speakers installed in the doors as well then the price goes up...

But as far as amp and sub installation - EVERYTHING is $80

installation of a new radio costs an extra $60 i think

09 Mustang V6 C/A Red with black racing stripes. Automatic. Under the Hood: JLT Cold-Air Intake, SCT 93 Octane Race Tune from Bamachips. Pypes True-Dual Exhaust w/ X-pipe and GT Takeoffs. Exhaust Cutouts. Interior: 10" Subwoofer 1,200 Watts, 1,200 Watt Insignia Amp. Chrome Auto Shifter Handles.
Best 0-60: 5.7 seconds with no traction from first gear.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzca6 View Post
I'm still waiting to hear someone from this forum that has tried this path, but I like the Shelby Kicker system. It is all plug and play. I've read some reviews on different sites that have good things to say about it. I think it is cool that you can actually get your car on the Shelby Registry if installed by a certified dealer. Just 2 cents and I'm not an audio guy. So don't flame me for suggesting.

Shelby Store - Shelby GT500 Shirts, Shelby GT Shirts, Shelby GT500 Hats, Shelby GT Hats, Shelby Models, Shelby Super Snake Hats, Shelby Super Snake Shirts
i was told by a lot of people that those would not be the best upgrade possible. replacing the 8" with the 6.5 components seems to be the best upgrade, reason being is that you can get a lot more bass out of a sub in the trunk and half of the 6x8 are covered up on the front door.

as far as getting a sub, would 1 10" give a lot of bass? the delema is i can only find a sub enclosure for the trunk like the one i posted (which is for a 12") and i can only afford 1 sub right now

2006 V6 Mustang
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

1 10" is not going to move as much air as 1 12" of the same type at the same power. If you go with a higher power 10" you can get more bass than a 12" however.

Personally i've gone with 6x8 combo speakers, which have a center-mounted tweeter, and replaced both the front and rear sets. Replacing only the front speakers is like only buying performance tires for your rear and leaving the front ones stock.

I do like the idea of removing the 8" subs and relocating the 6x8's to the lower part of the door, but it seems like an awful lot of extra work and with center-mount tweeters its better to have the speakers up high anyway. I also prefer a square box to a fitted one because you can face the speaker in different directions to further "tune" the sound to your liking.

Power-wise I run 500watts rms and 1500 peak to a 12" sub. I seldom turn the subwoofer level up past 7 out of 15 and when I do its enough to make my trunk, spoiler and door panels rattle. Any more than that and you're also going to have to look at adding another battery or a capacitor to counter-act the high current draw which will cause your headlights to flicker to the bass at night.

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05Pony View Post
1 10" is not going to move as much air as 1 12" of the same type at the same power. If you go with a higher power 10" you can get more bass than a 12" however.
ok what would be better? running 1000 watts through a 500 watt 12" sub or 1000 through an 800 watt 10"

Quote:
Personally i've gone with 6x8 combo speakers, which have a center-mounted tweeter, and replaced both the front and rear sets. Replacing only the front speakers is like only buying performance tires for your rear and leaving the front ones stock.
hmm i would disagree because hte sound reverbs of the windows, walls floor, etc. as long as there are speakers in the back, you wont notice the quality as much. the biggest improvement for budget would be to get really good speakers for the front instead of sub par speakers for front and back

Quote:
I do like the idea of removing the 8" subs and relocating the 6x8's to the lower part of the door, but it seems like an awful lot of extra work and with center-mount tweeters its better to have the speakers up high anyway. I also prefer a square box to a fitted one because you can face the speaker in different directions to further "tune" the sound to your liking.
the only reason i want a fitted one is i need my trunk space. i cant afford to have a square box taking up all my trunk

just a general question, how much different is a punch from a 12 and a 10 (havent had time to visit a store yet)

2006 V6 Mustang
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corban227 View Post
ok what would be better? running 1000 watts through a 500 watt 12" sub or 1000 through an 800 watt 10"
As I recall I said "1 10" is not going to move as much air as 1 12" of the same type at the same power."

When dealing with two subwoofers of the same type - for example, a 10" Alpine type-r and a 12" Alpine type-r, the 10" is not going to be rated higher than the 12" model. If you compared a ****** 12" to a quality 10" then the 10 might be comparable or higher.

With that having been said, the best thing to do when shopping for stereo equipment is to do your best to match your power numbers. If you have a subwoofer rated for 300w rms then buy an amp that outputs 300w rms or as close as you can get to that.

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

gotcha.
so by looking for something that puts out equivalent power. if i were to get a kicker pro comp that used 800 watts would i be able to wire it to two 500 watt channels? (i.e. the amp i have listed above)

2006 V6 Mustang
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

ok mods sorry about double posting

i think ive figured out what im going to do after all suggestions.
i was able to find a box that fit nicely across the back of the trunk and doesn't sit awkwardly on the bottom. plus i found two subs that would work nicely with the amp i was planning on getting plus give me the possibility to add more power to them later if i wanted.

Componets
Amp
Box
Sub x2

2006 V6 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page