Need help with A/C problem! Posted video - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Exclamation Need help with A/C problem! Posted video

I decided to buy a gauge and refrigerant to see whats wrong with my A/C since it hasn't been blowing as cold as I think it should be. I know nothing when it comes to A/C. Here is a video I made, so if someone can tell me what I can do to fix this that be great!

YouTube - 2006 Mustang A/C Problem? Whats wrong!!

2006 V6 Pony Package

Pypes Pype-Bomb dual exhausts with X-Pipe.
JLT CAI with Bama 93+ Race Tune.
Screamin' Demon Coil.
Taylor Street Thunder Wires.
Steeda Throttle Body Spacer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
GT Member

It actually looks like itís functioning normally, though I canít read the numbers. Are the low-pressure lines going to the accumulator developing condensation? In humid weather that would be normal. If theyíre just getting a little bit cold, that can be another sign of low refrigerant. If you feel itís a little weak, try topping it off with a can of refrigerant (no oil). Make sure to have the blower set on high and in recirculate mode when you do that. If at all practical, have someone sit in the car and take the engine RPM up to around 2K to facilitate filling. Is your cabin air filter clean?

My AC used to be ice cold when I got the car, but I noticed back in May that it seemed to be getting weak, so I ended up topping it off, and now itís ice cold again.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Is it normal for it to kick on and off like that? How much should I put in? The gauge keeps moving up and down.

I bought EZChill Auto air conditioning R-134a with oil....Is the oil bad?

2006 V6 Pony Package

Screamin' Demon Coil.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
GT Member

The AC compressor is either on or off, thereís no in-between, and is controlled by a pressure switch in the low pressure line (way back on the firewall in the S197, which makes it hard to get to). When the compressor kicks on the needle on a low side gauge will go down, and when it kicks off, the needle will float back up. Hard to say how much refrigerant the system actually needs, about Ĺ to 1 of the R-134a service cans is typical (mine took a whole can to get it ice cold again).

Too much oil can be bad for a system, fluids arenít compressible, plus the oil takes up space that could be used by refrigerant, and unless you have a serious leak to where youíve lost oil, it shouldnít be needed. Better to just get a can of straight R-134a in your case (without the oil). A slow loss of refrigerant in Ford AC systems is a fairly common thing, unfortunately.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I put about half a can in and I still cant tell a difference...I don't understand why the gauge keeps bouncing up and down. Think there is something else wrong with the A/C?

2006 V6 Pony Package

Screamin' Demon Coil.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
GT Member

The reason that it cycles on and off in a car is because the input in variable speed (unlike a house that is constant speed). For example, if the AC were optimized for 600 RPM operation , it would build-up too much pressure at 6,000RPM and probably blow a line or the compressor. Conversely, if it were optimized for 6,000 RPM operation, then you wouldnít get any cooling at 600 RPM. The solution is to have a pressure switch in the loop that controls the pressure by cycling the operation of the compressor on and off. Thatís why the needle bounces up and down. In this case the important number is the low one (when the compressor is running). Couldnít find a quick easy chart on the internet in a brief search, so hereís a scan of one I had laying around for R-134a. Note that at a room temperature of 75 degrees the low pressure point indicated should be 35 to 45 PSI. Thatís when the compressor is switched on and the needle drops to its lowest point. If the air temp is 75 degrees and your low point is dropping down to 25 PSI then you would need refrigerant. Keep in mind that you should have the AC blower fully on and and the car at about 1500 to 2000 RPM when you measure and/or fill it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_temp_vs_pressure_134a.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	105460  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Okay that makes since now. When the gauge would drop it would be below 25. I'll put more in tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks a lot!

2006 V6 Pony Package

Screamin' Demon Coil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page