Anyone else have traction probs in the rain? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Anyone else have traction probs in the rain?

I have the worst luck with traction when the road is wet. I mean it's ridicules. I was on my way to class and was stopped a red light and when it changed green my back tires would just not grip and kept spinning. This happens every time when the ground is wet. Also while I was leaving class, I took a left turn and my back end fishtails. This happens EVERY TIME at this turn!!

I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem when it's wet out. This never happens in the 300C. Also, I have the stock tires with 50% thread left so that's not the prob.

I just can't seem to feather the gas enough.

2006 V6 Pony Package

Pypes Pype-Bomb dual exhausts with X-Pipe.
JLT CAI with Bama 93+ Race Tune.
Screamin' Demon Coil.
Taylor Street Thunder Wires.
Steeda Throttle Body Spacer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
Apprentice

id say most mustangs have that problem in the rain. mine being supercharged can get quite squirley in the rain, once the tires spin it doesnt stop spinning it starts boostin lol

Spinnin' aint winnin'
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Saw in your sig that you have a race tune. That can probably be one of the reasons it's so easy to spin your wheels.

2007 Mustang V6 "Delilah"

Mods: Pypes axle-back, JLT CAI, AM 91 Race tune, 3.73 gears + T-lock

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

My car is pretty much bone stock except for exterior mods like new wheels etc... And I have this same problem, but I've learned to live with it. Its probably due to our cars being so light, but yet so powerful.

CDC Quarter Window Louvers.~CDC Mirror Covers.
18x8 Chrome Boss 338 Wheels Wrapped In Goodyear F1's.
White 10" Vinyl Racing Stripes.
AM Bolt-On Hood Struts.
Stack Racing Plug-in Sequential Taillights.
Stack Racing Push Button Ignition~AM LCA's.~BBK CAI.
Painted To Match Calipers&Rocker Panels.~20% Side/15% Back Tint.

..Mess With The Best...Die Like The Rest..
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
Apprentice

its your race tune :-P if you dont want to burn or wheel hope in the rain id get teh T-Lok with upper/lower arms and lowering kit. i have the t-lock with 4.10 gear and it wheel hops like a mofo off a red light with barely and peddle. Upper and lower control arms will give you a stiffer rear end and better launch and the lowering kit will help with your launch and handling in the rain, less body role - more traction

'06 mustang V6, H-pipe true duel exhaust, JBA headers. K&N filter, JVC kameleon kd avx44 dvd player, spf amp and 2-12" subs, 7.5" LSD and 4.10gears, J&M rear lower and upper control arms, Vortech Supercharger, diablosport 91 oct tune.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

i think you`ll find that when a tire is half gone, i dont care what brand it is, the traction in rain will not be so great. when i put a set of new stock bfg`s on it was great in the rain to about half wore. theres not much weight in the rear too. just have to deal with it or buy new tires. if you have 17" wheels, you can use these nitto 450 extreme performance tires. these on the frt are 255/50-17. they are the best wet weather traction i have ever had, but again, they are pretty new still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2623.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	105436  

05 V6 auto,
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

does your car have tcs? maybe you should take the anchor out of your shoe. i know when i first got my car i had traction problems. i found when i got my new rims an tires it helped alot which were bfg's g-force sport 255/45 they have a very high wet traction rating to.

2005 v6-14.8 1/4
Performance Mods~Mac Dual Exhaust with shorty ceramic headers, K&N typhoon CAI, SCT3 with 93 Brenspeed tune, BBK 70mm TB, Screamin Demon coil, JBA wires, Drilled and Slotted Rotors. J&M rear lower control arms
Visual Mods~ 17" boss rims on nittos 255/45's, clear front turn signals, chrome upper billet grille, window louvers, shaker500 w/ jlaudio 12" sub an amp in the trunk for some thump. kenwood excelon kdc-x396 deck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010
PONY Member

i agree with amustangrocks, when the tires are worn down traction in rain does suffer. The last set of tires i had were worn down pretty bad and just in a bit of rain they would be spinning at lights.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010
Apprentice

i bet everywone behind u stares at u trying to go hu ?
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

If you have a 93 race tune, 1/2 tread tires & a maybe a slightly heavy right foot - there you go.

Mustangs are very light in the ass end. I find it worse when its a just a shower especially early morning (road surface & tires are still cold). There's oil, antifreeze etc on the road surface all the time. With a little water it a slippery combination

I would rather make it work than make it popular..
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Wet traction in these cars is suspect even with good tires!

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page