Rubbing noise when turning - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Rubbing noise when turning

I have a 2005 v6. For a while now I've noticed a rubbing almost a grinding noise coming from my car when I make sharp slow turns. Can't pin point where exactly its coming from. I've taken off both front wheels and looked arround and nothing out of the ordinary. No tire makrs anywhere or anything. Thinking it may be coming from the rear end, possibly the rear diff. I'm really trying to avoid dropping it off at a shop as I'm kinda strapped for funds. Any suggestions on what may be causing this and how to go about fixing? I appriciat any help in this matter and thank you for taking the time to read this.

2005 V6 Screaming Yellow "Stampede"
Pypes true dual exhaust, bbk throttle body spacer, air raid CAI, sequential turn signals, Alpine CDA 9886, custon blue and green interior "night lights". Many more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I'd check for play in the wheel bearings and the bushings/balljoints. Are the tires wearing funny on the front end, that is usually a good indicator of where something is going wrong. It could also be a power steering pump going bad (I don't know if 05 has an electric or a mechanical powersteering pump). But atleast it might give you another area to check.

1990 Mustang GT with AOD transmission-quite a bit done to it. First mustang I had, & still have.
2003 Mustang GT-Total lost by a friend into a golf course. RIP GREY GHOST
2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4.7liter, auto transmission, towing package
1988 Mustang GT convertible with manual transmission- BONE STOCK! New IAC (because it idled at 2500 rpm)
1990 Mustang GT Convertible with AOD transmission project car & building it for a friend
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

I did notice a little wear in the tires. very outside edge on both sides. Thats why I thought it was rubbing on something in the wheel well. But my trusty Chiltons troubleshooter pointed towards "possible faulty differential". I'll have to wait untill the weekend to tear it down and play with it some more. All work and no play make me a dull boy. lol

2005 V6 Screaming Yellow "Stampede"
Pypes true dual exhaust, bbk throttle body spacer, air raid CAI, sequential turn signals, Alpine CDA 9886, custon blue and green interior "night lights". Many more to come...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011
MACH I Member

Not to jack … but this AM at the rink parking lot w/ the wheel turned turned full either way … I hearing a new rubbing/grinding noise in the rear end area. I.E., if you make a circle the noise is in one spot of the circle. I had the pinion seal replaced recently. Thanks for any help.

2005 GT coupe
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordie27 View Post
I did notice a little wear in the tires. very outside edge on both sides. Thats why I thought it was rubbing on something in the wheel well. But my trusty Chiltons troubleshooter pointed towards "possible faulty differential". I'll have to wait untill the weekend to tear it down and play with it some more. All work and no play make me a dull boy. lol
jack up the frt and wiggle your tire. i had the frt bearings go bad on one hub, and i really thought the noise was coming from the rear end trasfering through my lca`s the whole time. didnt catch it till i was replacing the frt rotors and brakes.

05 V6 auto,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page