Need partly major cosmetic work advice. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Need partly major cosmetic work advice.

So last couple weeks ive been super happy since i bought my 2005 black on black v6

I didnt notice but about a week ago... that my grille insert KINDA looked crooked...sooo....

i was looking under my hood and i see to my dismay, that my radiator cover is cracked... i go to investigate what may have caused this:

As i'm taking the little plastic plugs out of my radiator cover... i notice my grille insert is literally SEPERATED from the holes you push the tabs into...

want to know why? THERE IS NO TABS TO PUT THE GRILLE INSERT INTO! * first question, what do i do to make tabs? or do i have to buy a new VALENCE...Also..if it helps i have a GT front Valence, so maybe that is why my v6 grille insert looks like it wont fit into the tabs straight.

i notice also.... UGH.... that my headlights are bonded to the car by EPOXY...and not tabs... ill show pics tommarow..

the third thing, that doesnt reallly bother me but i need to get done... is that the two little bottom front grille inserts are missing from my GT valence.. can i order them somewhere for cheap? LINKS?

forth thing. My hood has trouble shutting with out me pushing on it a certain way... its retarded. Ill try to get some good pics to you guys tommarow so i can be more of a help to people helping me...

fifth thing, my trunk has missing pins on the plastic cover thingy...inside of the trunk on the bottom... Any ideas where i can find those?

6th thing- (these dont really apply to the body) but... can i buy floor mats for just the back seat anywhere? black ones... Links?

IN SUMMARY...

Im pretty sure my car got in a little fender bender... and was thrown back together before i got it...

-17 Years Old, 0 Tickets, 0 Wrecks-
Kills
3 wins, 0 draws, 1 lost.
2005 Black on Black Automatic V6
Kills
[2001 Monte Carlo LS]
[1996 Camaro 3.8L]
[1990ish Ford F150]
[2007 Mustang V6] Killed by

Wish List
T-Lok for V6, Cai + Tuner, 18in 2008 Gt rims, 1" drop springs, Dual Exhaust + GT Takeoff mufflers, Blacked out tail lights + Sequintial tail lights, Halo headlights. Red LED Dome lights, Quarter louvers, Side louvers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

thats alot of issues for one post
my rad cover was cracked when i got mine, i think its cause someone dropped or slammed the hood rod down on a cold day, which is probably pretty common. my answer there was to buy hood struts and do away with the rod. its so much nicer.

i hit a deer and wrecked my frt end once. ( got a new rad cover at this time) a while after that i bought a new grill and upon changing it found out the body shop replaced my bumper and grill but glued my old lower bumper grill on at the tabs which i had do some grinding to get it off without messing up the tab slots on the bumper. if your missing the tab slots, they are part of the bumper. the tabs are part of the grills. the V6 grills are different than the gt grills too.

the headlights have just a single cheap plastic tab that the mounting screw goes into at the top. the body shop cracked one of mine tightening it too tight and i didnt catch that for a long time, so i added a washer over it. new headlights arent cheap either, ( there are a couple online ford dealers that discounts parts some) and you have to remove the bumper to install them.

you can get the plastic t nuts for the rear trunk panel at the dealer. is that the part in question? its kinda a large hole behind the taillight. mine were also missing and the new ones didnt hold as the plastic had got deformed over time so i made some alum inserts for mine, pain in the butt but they hold good now.

mats mostly come in sets, so you might have to find someone that gets a new set and still have the rears. my rears have never even been stepped on. or junk yard.

heres a link to the rear trunk panel inserts i fabbed up
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...equipment.html

heres a couple online dealers to check for parts
RockAuto Parts Catalog

Tousley Ford Parts Depot

heres a pic of the hood struts. got them from moss muscle. nice painted alum brackets bolt on with the hood hinges and they stay tucked into the corners nice and out of the way.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	under hood goodies.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	114173  

05 V6 auto,
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010
Apprentice

Allright, I have a few thoughts here because I found a similar situation with my Stang, bought from a Ford Dealer as used when it was two years old, a 2007 6er. Clean car history report, no title or accident issues at all. I use it as a daily driver here in Minnesota.

18 months into owning it, I find some clearcoat peeling behind a front wheel. I take it to two bodyshops, that both agree that fender was repainted at one time or another, and the top coat wasn't applied as well as it could have been. Oops, bought a car in a fender bender.

Did it ruin my ownership experience? Not at all. My car is a driver, and so it meets road perils all the time - sooner or later body damage is going to happen. It still looks great, and no one has ever noticed the peel. The car still drives great too, and behind the wheel its just as enjoyable as ever.

As for the front end, if you have the v6 grille (no fog lights) it won't fit right in a GT front valance, so you might want to look into getting the grille with the fogs. You can pop it in, and wire up the fogs later if you want. I'd suggest looking at another GT's front end for fitment, maybe see if a dealership has one you can look at for comparison, and see if that helps?

Bottom line, if you like the car and the way it looks and drives, then enjoy it. Keep enjoying it. Just like mine, you'll have things you'll want to tweak on it when you have the time and money - and that's all you've discovered here. Drive it and enjoy it, and don't sweat the small stuff.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

i agree with djw. my car was wrecked in the back before i got it, and i hit the deer but it still looks great and i`ll keep fixing whatever it needs, i dont not love my car any less because of "things" that happen, and i bought it to drive the wheels off of. as far as the reports goes, people pay outside insurance just to keep things off the car fax reports and stuff. another option if you need a gt grill is the bullet grill thats just all blk if you dont want the fogs.moss muscle has them. ( still dont know if its your grill or the bumper that messed up.) newtakeoff still has some gt bumpers, or you might find something on ebay or craigslist. or you might be able to fix it up some other way.

05 V6 auto,
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010
Apprentice

Thanks amustangrocks. I've got the Torch Red too, best color they make. (black is a close second, haha).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

thanks.

Thanks for all the help guys...
Im pretty sure it should help. But it looks like my valence isnt lining up with my quarter panel... this is not good...i hope i didnt just stumble across a money pit of problems.

Kills
3 wins, 0 draws, 1 lost.
Kills
[2001 Monte Carlo LS]
[1996 Camaro 3.8L]
[1990ish Ford F150]

Wish List
T-Lok for V6, Cai + Tuner, 18in 2008 Gt rims, 1" drop springs, Dual Exhaust + GT Takeoff mufflers, Blacked out tail lights + Sequintial tail lights, Halo headlights. Red LED Dome lights, Quarter louvers, Side louvers.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to We're Wolf
try OEM Parts & OEM Wheels - Original Equipment Parts from NewTakeOff for floor mats/ grill/ bumper

Pretty much factory stuff is cheap there

hope things work out.. well used cars are that way just have to accept their imperfects its what makes them unique

The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010
Apprentice

Blake,

Take a little time, take some detailed pictures, and then we'll see what we've got. I've never swapped to a GT front end, but I hear some items might need some adjustment to align correctly. Can't tell until we see what you think is misaligned in detail.

Take em, post em, and lets see where it goes...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010
PONY Member

On the floor mats I'll make a suggestion and you can take it for what it's worth. When I got my stang it didn't come with the rear mats as none of them do. I didn't feel like spending a bundle to get a complete set since my front ones were perfectly fine and were the Pony Pkg special ones. So since the rear of our cars is an awkward shape and I didn't like any of the generic ones (wrong shape, wrong shade of black, etc) I made my own. Went to WalMart, bought a flat roll of universal use carpeting (in the Auto/RV section) and cut it to size. Works great and when it wears out I just cut another piece to put in there. I will be able to get many cuts out of the one roll and the black matches perfectly. Best part is the entire roll is only $9. Also, I only needed one side since no one can fit in the rear seat behind me when I'm driving. I have my seat pretty far back. So spend $9 or $50 for a full set, it's up to you.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

"So last couple weeks ive been super happy since i bought my 2005 black on black v6

I didnt notice but about a week ago... that my grille insert KINDA looked crooked...sooo....

i was looking under my hood and i see to my dismay, that my radiator cover is cracked... i go to investigate what may have caused this:

As i'm taking the little plastic plugs out of my radiator cover... i notice my grille insert is literally SEPERATED from the holes you push the tabs into...

want to know why? THERE IS NO TABS TO PUT THE GRILLE INSERT INTO! * first question, what do i do to make tabs? or do i have to buy a new VALENCE...Also..if it helps i have a GT front Valence, so maybe that is why my v6 grille insert looks like it wont fit into the tabs straight.

i notice also.... UGH.... that my headlights are bonded to the car by EPOXY...and not tabs... ill show pics tommarow..

the third thing, that doesnt reallly bother me but i need to get done... is that the two little bottom front grille inserts are missing from my GT valence.. can i order them somewhere for cheap? LINKS?

forth thing. My hood has trouble shutting with out me pushing on it a certain way... its retarded. Ill try to get some good pics to you guys tommarow so i can be more of a help to people helping me...

fifth thing, my trunk has missing pins on the plastic cover thingy...inside of the trunk on the bottom... Any ideas where i can find those?

6th thing- (these dont really apply to the body) but... can i buy floor mats for just the back seat anywhere? black ones... Links?

IN SUMMARY...

Im pretty sure my car got in a little fender bender... and was thrown back together before i got it..."

------------------------------------------
Heres the site for the pictures. Please help

Mustang Problems pictures by Ares570 - Photobucket

Kills
3 wins, 0 draws, 1 lost.
Kills
[2001 Monte Carlo LS]
[1996 Camaro 3.8L]
[1990ish Ford F150]

Wish List

cjponyparts should have what you need for the girlles. the mats usually come in ste of all four tho. did you buy the car from a dealer?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokturnalstang View Post
cjponyparts should have what you need for the girlles. the mats usually come in ste of all four tho. did you buy the car from a dealer?
No I didnt. Craigslist...

Kills
3 wins, 0 draws, 1 lost.
Kills
[2001 Monte Carlo LS]
[1996 Camaro 3.8L]
[1990ish Ford F150]

Wish List
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Sorry i double posted on accident.

Kills
3 wins, 0 draws, 1 lost.
Kills
[2001 Monte Carlo LS]
[1996 Camaro 3.8L]
[1990ish Ford F150]

Wish List

Last edited by Blake57; 11-04-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Double Post

ohh so you bought it as is. well atleast its not to bad its just gonna need a few things here and there an it'll be good as new.

if it were me, new headlights new grilles, paintjob or a good buffing. and just replace whats missing or damaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
4.0 , body , damage , work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page