Question about which plugs to get - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Question about which plugs to get

At 36K miles, and have recently noticed a drop in efficiency. This is probably at least somewhat due to the additives and whatnot that they put in fuel this time of the year, but was thinking maybe it's time to do a couple of things to help out.

I figure replacing the fuel filter, plugs, and wires is a good thing to do at this point, but I'm conflicted on which plugs to get.

NGK V-Power Performance Spark Plugs 4177 at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

or

NGK G-Power Platinum Performance Spark Plugs 5141 at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

or

NGK Iridium IX Performance Spark Plugs 3689 at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, but I guess what I'm wanting to know is how much more will I be getting for the bigger pay for what I have in my car. I just have basic bolt ons: JLT intake w/ 91 race tune, Pypes single Axleback.

Will I notice a difference with the top tier plugs, or not enough to justify getting those and should instead just get the mid range, or even the cheaper ones?

Thanks!

ETA: Also, would it be a good idea to get an updated tune depending on the plugs I get?

2007 Mustang V6 "Delilah"

Mods: Pypes axle-back, JLT CAI, AM 91 Race tune, 3.73 gears + T-lock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

save your money,get stock pugs. I have them in mine and have the screamin deamon. The plugs are gapped at .40 and all works well,very well. A good idea though to change the filter.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010
PONY Member

i use the bosch fussion when running aftermarket coils. for stock coils i use ngk iridium. in order to get the power from the s d coil, you really need to have a gap of .060-.065. i've tried several different type of plugs on mine and the ones that pack the most punch were the fussion plugs. but this is just my experience. for wires, i only use the msd superconductor wires. has the lowest ohms of resistance. live wire are rated at 250 ohms of resistance. i use the on all my cars. in my opinion, i doesn't get any better than msd.

dual ram air,jet maf,bbk 70tb, msd wires, fusion plugs,dual exhaust,xpype,no mufflers and dumps,lt headers,hi flows,3650 trans,c/f d/f clutch,fadanza al flywheel,hurst shifter, al ds safety loop,8.8 rear w/ 3.31 and t-lock,sct tuner,che upper and lowers, drag shocks,swar bar,4 point rear brace,steeda panhard bar and brace,gt springs,nitto555,g-track brace w/ tq limiters,drilled/slotted rotors,gt rims,gt fuel pumps,mafia, Vortech HO system, power pipe,380rwhp,355rwtq.

Last edited by longalan2; 11-02-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added more

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010
Rookie

I use Autolites on mine no problems and cheap too

2005 LEGEND LIME V6 PYPES DUAL EXHAUST GT TAKE-OFFS, PONY PACKAGE GRILL. WINDOW LOUVERS. SEQUENTIAL LIGHTS , 18 POLISHED BULLITT WHEELS GT500 CHIN SPOPILER AIRAID CAI, PYPES HEADERS, MONSTER ENERGY STICKER
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

hey longalan, ganetelli has some`0` ohm wires that they claim are the whip.( for what its worth) anyway, i`m running the platinum ngk`s right now but i`m gonna switch back to the bosch fusions i think. but like mrjimmy said, they all work pretty well. heres a plug chart for the 4.0
Sparkplugs.com - Application Search Results

05 V6 auto,
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010
PONY Member

really? i'll have to check into those and see how they compare to the msd. thanx for the heads up.

dual ram air,jet maf,bbk 70tb, msd wires, fusion plugs,dual exhaust,xpype,no mufflers and dumps,lt headers,hi flows,3650 trans,c/f d/f clutch,fadanza al flywheel,hurst shifter, al ds safety loop,8.8 rear w/ 3.31 and t-lock,sct tuner,che upper and lowers, drag shocks,swar bar,4 point rear brace,steeda panhard bar and brace,gt springs,nitto555,g-track brace w/ tq limiters,drilled/slotted rotors,gt rims,gt fuel pumps,mafia, Vortech HO system, power pipe,380rwhp,355rwtq.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010
PONY Member

ok i'm gonna order a set of the granetelli 0 ohm wires tomorrow and see how they compare. for starters they are $40 more than msd. let's see if they are worth the extra money.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longalan2 View Post
ok i'm gonna order a set of the granetelli 0 ohm wires tomorrow and see how they compare. for starters they are $40 more than msd. let's see if they are worth the extra money.
ya, i`m cuious too. i made a mistake, i`m running the ngk iridiums.

05 V6 auto,
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the replies all!

Heh, guess my fuel filter was already replaced at my 30K service, so I shouldn't need to worry about that. Still think I'll get some plugs, wires, and the Scremin Demon coils. Didn't see the coils at American Muscle, where's a good place to order these?

Quote:
Let us know how those go! Where are you ordering the wires from?

2007 Mustang V6 "Delilah"

Mods: Pypes axle-back, JLT CAI, AM 91 Race tune, 3.73 gears + T-lock
PONY Member

wires

for plug wires I only trust one mfr - MAGNECOR kv85 race wires......
check them out before buying anybody else..

Magnecor Race Wires

if you want to get schooled on wire terminology and what is out there and the claims all mfrs make.....read this
Magnecor Race Wires
PONY Member

i'm gonna order them from the granetelli web site. i'll let everyone know how they perform.

PONY Member

Quote:
i'm gonna order them from the granetelli web site. i'll let everyone know how they perform.
and how are you going to test them?
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeinhead View Post
Thanks for the replies all!

Heh, guess my fuel filter was already replaced at my 30K service, so I shouldn't need to worry about that. Still think I'll get some plugs, wires, and the Scremin Demon coils. Didn't see the coils at American Muscle, where's a good place to order
2005-2010 Mustang V6 Ignition

05 V6 auto,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page