HELP!!! Problems with automatic shifter!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Exclamation HELP!!! Problems with automatic shifter!!

So i've let my sister use my car for 2 weeks now for her schooling, trying to be a nice brother and all but today I took the car just so I could drive it for the weekend. All seems good, the car was super dirty but what are you gonna do, its a black car.

So i turn on the car and go to shift into drive (its an auto) and the cover of the shifter doesnt move with it!!! Its bare and showing everything! Both pictures are with the car in drive but you can see the red still in Park and the whole cover not there. I asked my sister how this happened and she said that its never happened to her while she had it.

What can I do to fix this??? Will I have to go to the dealership and see what they can do??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEAR SHIFT.jpg
Views:	3410
Size:	584.6 KB
ID:	124436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter.jpg
Views:	3521
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	124437  

Every Mustang Has A Story

What's Yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

ive seen this happen a few times in the forums. ive never heard of a fix other than replacement though.

05 V6 auto,
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to We're Wolf
can up grade to a ratchet shifter thats about 350 -400 or something.. other than that.. maybe take the stuff apart

The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
Rookie

im pretty sure you will have to replace it i have seen that happen before.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

The cover slides along in two tracks. You might,might be able to re-align and then re-attach.I had my hockey bag and hockey sticks in the front seat(couldn't get them in the trunk) and the sticks knocked the cover out of alignment.I was able to re-attach the cover. Something either got jammed in there or fell on it and the driver shifted anyways.You might get lucky and just re-align it .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I know this was posted 4 weeks ago but I just noticed this on my Mustang today, did you find a fix for it?

My first car, my first love

2005 Mustang 4.0, Satin Silver,
GT Premium wheels on Nittos, Sequentials, Black out panel, Tinted License Plate, Shorty Antenna, Mustang decal third light brake, Flowmaster Axel back American Thunder exhaust, Chrome shaker 500 pieces, and FUZZY DICE!!!

yes, I'm a girl and I kicked cancer's a** twice. how's that for surviving?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011
Apprentice

ive had mine crushed and pushed through, its not too difficult to get to it. take the black plastic cover off and there are 4 clips u need to unclip. then you can go ahead n pull the shifter up and out. then just realign the teeth on the track and ur all set. odds are its just stuck in there somewhere.

i went to a ford dealership and they were telling me it was gonna cost $400. im like gimme a print out of the desgin n i took it apart and fixed it right there infront of the service rep.

2006 vista blue pony package v6. shaker 1000, roush louvers, rousch hood scoop, cal special side vents, saleen rear louvers, gt500 strut tower brace, cdc chin spoiler,custom painted gt bumper, gt h pipe and mid pipes and ford racing stingers.

future mods - possible sct tuner and JLT Cold air intake and t loc.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

That's hilarious! I was able to grab it like you said, I'm thinking of just supergluing it back to the shifter before it falls back down there again. I'm gonna try that out and see if that works for awhile, if not, TCI Ratchet Shifter here I come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06vistav6 View Post
ive had mine crushed and pushed through, its not too difficult to get to it. take the black plastic cover off and there are 4 clips u need to unclip. then you can go ahead n pull the shifter up and out. then just realign the teeth on the track and ur all set. odds are its just stuck in there somewhere.

i went to a ford dealership and they were telling me it was gonna cost $400. im like gimme a print out of the desgin n i took it apart and fixed it right there infront of the service rep.

My first car, my first love

2005 Mustang 4.0, Satin Silver,
GT Premium wheels on Nittos, Sequentials, Black out panel, Tinted License Plate, Shorty Antenna, Mustang decal third light brake, Flowmaster Axel back American Thunder exhaust, Chrome shaker 500 pieces, and FUZZY DICE!!!

yes, I'm a girl and I kicked cancer's a** twice. how's that for surviving?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
You can get one for about $299 if you shop around. Its also a mod you can rationalize getting

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page