2005 Mustang V6, Manual, Engine Sounds? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

2005 Mustang V6, Manual, Engine Sounds?

Hey everyone, 1st time Mustang owner, life long Mustang lover.

I have a 2005 Mustang V6 with Manual Transmission and just at 35K miles and have been hearing some stranger than normal sounds coming from the engine bay.

First, when cold there's a loud squeaking that matches the RPM's (louder when RPM's are going higher, quieter while lower RPM's), and did some research and found that the Idler Pulley is very common thing to give some squeaky sounds, or the belt (going to grab a Gatorback belt this week just in case, doesn't hurt).

So, not TO bothered with that, nothing seems like its coming loose and the belt is running smoothly, doesn't seem to be any gouges or chipped pieces.

Anyways, I was just listening for a little while and the engine sounded like it was making a rougher sounder, and so, instead of trying aimlessly to explain the EXACT sound so that you, the experts, I recorded it on my phone and pasted it on Youtube so you can hear exactly.

Now, I don't know if I am just being over paranoid, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any idea's before I bring it to someone where they would charge me to simply say "change your belt, or pulley"

This is at idle, than a little bit further in the video, I give it some gas (to right around 4000 RPM), you can't hear the squeak really, was driving around before I took the video so it was kind of warmed up. Also, there is no engine modifications or anything, the only thing I have on the car is a Axle Back Exhaust (American Thunder), other than that, she's stock.

Video:
YouTube - V6 Mustang Engine Sounds?

Thanks everyone! If you need anymore information, do ask!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011
Rookie

Mice?

Sounds pretty idelerish to me, had the same problem in another Ford product. Take it to an Autozone if there is one near you and have em hook up alternator diag while you are there.

Between my kids and I, we have three Terminators and two four eye Fox. Torch red 10th, zinc yellow 03, Mystichrome 04 droptop, silver 82GT and blue 86LX. We may soon be adding '11 GT500 for my wife.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

My Ford F150 4X4 does this once in awhile and I did change the Serpentine Blet to a Gator Back and it solved the problem for a little while then it came back. I changed the Ideler Pully, same thing, squealling nosie. Then one day I grabbed a can of Brake Klean and sprayed the back of the Ideler Pully on the shaft as it was turning and the noise instantly went away. It happens every now and then after I drive it in the Rain, but I just give it a spray with the Brake Cleaner and Im good for a few months even after driving it in the rain. This is the only thing that has ever worked. Im not saying it will work for you but it solved the problem for me.

2002 GT Premium Auto Mineral Grey. Pypes Violater Cat Back Exhaust.
2003 V6 Auto Oxford White, all original no Mods
SOLD 2007 V6 Premium Pony
FORD BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS
SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
GT Member

I get all sorts of unusual belt driven noises when the Santa Ana winds blow off of the desert here. But when the weather returns to normal they all go away, so I havenít attempted any fix. #1fordloverís advice is good though, Iíve done something similar on a few other cars with reasonable success.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Alright, thanks for the information and replies! I will probably take it to Autozone anyways (can't hurt to get a free diagnosis right?) and I have some brake kleaner and WD-40, so I will give it a spray to make sure everything is going smoothly (don't worry, won't spray the belt!)

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page