Shaker 500 Disc Problem. pls help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Shaker 500 Disc Problem. pls help

well my shaker 500 CD player, doesnt want to work.. i cant even stick a cd into the drive.. when ever i open my car door the shaker 500 is like making a wierd noise like if its loading a disc. when its done having its tantrum it says CD ERROR idk why it would say that i cant even put in a CD... does anyone have a reason to why its doing this... i can careless if my cd works i listen to my ipod,, but like everyone else i want to have my car in tip top shape...THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

2007 Mustang 4.0
Show: Tint, Black Tail Light, Shorty Antenna,GT style Grille, more to come...
Go:True Dual Exhaust, Custom X-pipe, Custom Mufflers Local Shop made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
GT Member

The stock Ford stereos are known for failing like this. Biggest concern is that the behavior not continue after things are shut-off, or it can drain the battery if it goes on long enough. You could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if that resets it, but long term maybe think about getting a new unit.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

ive replaced the battery and it still does it, it even does this while the cars off...

2007 Mustang 4.0
Show: Tint, Black Tail Light, Shorty Antenna,GT style Grille, more to come...
Go:True Dual Exhaust, Custom X-pipe, Custom Mufflers Local Shop made.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to We're Wolf
look on criags list for a replacement i seen people selling em for like 50 bucks because they get new head units

The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
Apprentice

Garage
I assume it failed after your battery went flat and replaced it?

if that was the case have you cleared the error code from the Shaker? here is how to do it if you haven't. It could work...

1 turn on stereo on am or fm
2 press and hold preset #3 and #6 at the same time
( the radio will go into a speaker test mode playing sound at each speaker one at a time)
3 press the #2 preset and it should say dtc codes (that like reading error codes for a check engine light but this is only for the radio)
4 press the eject button for the cd player (this clear the dtc codes)
5 turn off radio (this saves what you did)

Hope it works for you...

2014 V8 GT Premium with lots of extras
2007 V6 Satin Silver with Pony Pack - Sold
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Mattlov View Post

if that was the case have you cleared the error code from the Shaker? here is how to do it if you haven't. It could work...

( the radio will go into a speaker test mode playing sound at each speaker one at a time)
3 press the #2 preset and it should say dtc codes (that like reading error codes for a check engine light but this is only for the radio)

Hope it works for you...
I disconnect my battery when I store my stang for the winter in my garage. When I re-connect the battery my Shaker 500 will do the same thing (it goes crazy and sounds like it's loading CD's for a minute or two) and then it stops. It's fine after that and does'nt do it anymore after I start my stang.
Where did you find this how to on the Shaker 500, I've never heard of this befor?
And Nice Mustang, you have Good Taste

2002 GT Premium Auto Mineral Grey. Pypes Violater Cat Back Exhaust.
2003 V6 Auto Oxford White, all original no Mods
SOLD 2007 V6 Premium Pony
FORD BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS
SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I'd be wary of those Shakers for sale. Even if you get a different one, chances are the security code won't work with your car. Unless that stereo is brand new, you may as well get a new stereo. It costs about as much to reset the whole shaker as it does to put in a new one.

2006 Mustang V6 Pony Package Vista Blue with a 5-speed (Michele)
Go: BBK 70mm throttle body, BBK CAI, single custom exhaust (maxflow muffler) with polished 4" tip, SCT Tuner w/ 91 RT, SR TB Spacer, Custom made cold air bucket, Spec Stage II Clutch and SF66A Flywheel
Show: White rocker stripes, Kaenen Mach 1 Style hood, painted underhood parts/covers, Muffler tip, white stripes after heat reduction ports.
Own but not insalled- Polished Shorty Headers
Future-looking for 2007-08 F150
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011
Rookie

Quote:

Hope it works for you...
I have the same problem with 3 CDs stuck in the deck. I tried what you suggested but when i do step 3 (#2 preset), it says "no DTC". My problem persists.

Time to shop for a new deck i guess. The stereo has drained my battery empty twice now. very frustrating.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011
Apprentice

Garage
The Shaker 500 is the same head unit as JBL used to sell over here in the UK. The internals are the same. We used to get those errors all the time when the car battery failed or went flat coz someone left a light on, or a CD got stuck. That was the fix we used to do. I copied the instructions from another forum as I was to lazy to type it all out lol

Getting your CD's out one trick we used to do was try loading on the slots with cds in. Press load, choose the slot and insert another cd. It won't take the new disc and will eject the other disc. Once all your CD's are out try the remove negative terminal for a couple of mins trick, may bring the shaker back from the dead. Hopefully this may clear it.

Lastly, if you are under warranty or you have a good dealer there's a known Service Bulletin that tells the Ford techs to replace the head unit, so it'd be worth it to get that done if you can. Its a shame that the Shaker 500's cd error is common otherwise these are not bad head units.

Thanks #1fordlover. the silver ones are the best

*EDIT* if your shaker is draining the battery manually turn it off before you switch of the ignition, this will stop the drain until you get a replacement or a new head unit.

2014 V8 GT Premium with lots of extras
2007 V6 Satin Silver with Pony Pack - Sold

Last edited by Mustang Mattlov; 04-05-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: forgot about power usage tip
Rookie

Thumbs up Dan

Quote:

Hope it works for you...
Worked like a charm, Thanks MustangMattlov. I was thinking I was going to have to take out my radio and send it off to be repaired. You probably just saved me $150!

Quote:

Hope it works for you...
Worked for me! Thank you!
Rookie

had to replace battery and now my cd player just says initializing when i select the cd button, I tried pushing presets 3 and 6 together and then preset 2 but it didn't work. any ideas on what can be done.
Rookie

Put a CD for the first time in my Shaker 500 system in my 3 year old 2014 Stang. First time or two it ejected the disc. Then today after a long play of the one CD, the CD would not eject. It said Eject error on the unit.

Tried to put in another CD to hopefully spit out the first one. Nope. New CD would not go in or spit out old one. So I don't know what else I can try to get the disc out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page