2005-2010 V6 Driveshaft weakness? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2005-2010 V6 Driveshaft weakness?

I have been on lots of different forums, and the consenus seems to be that the driveshaft on the 4.0 v6's is a week spot. I have read on these forums that the driveshaft will shatter, grenade, fall apart...you name it, if the car goes above 114 mph.

I have looked all over the internet with Google searches to find whether or not this was FACT or FICTION, or is it just a few isolated events. I have also seen on youtube the 2011 v6 on the dyno lose it DS. (it was my understanding that the DS on the 2011 cars was the same as the GT)

I have also looked at TSB's for all 2005-2010 mustangs gt's/v6's and have found nothing in regards to DS Failure.

I am looking for facts and not other threads from this site or any other mustang based forum I can find those all day long myself.

Thanks in advance,

James

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
GT Member

How many people drive at sustained high speeds above 110 MPH? Not sure there’s enough data points to really answer the question, especially given that many of the race guys put on aluminum drive shafts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

i have taken mine above 114 several time and its still running great

First Mustang! 2007 V6 Auto.

Few mods and a lot of fun

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
How many people drive at sustained high speeds above 110 MPH? Not sure there’s enough data points to really answer the question, especially given that many of the race guys put on aluminum drive shafts.
I agree there is a very small amount of people who drive at sustained speeds above 110 mph, I have had mine over 120 (speed limiter turned off with tuner) and no issues but it wasn't for very long either. I plan on getting an aluminum DS when I get the x-charger, just this subject peaked my interest because of all I have read on the different forums, and yet no fact to back it up other than what people have heard about some dude that it happened to at some point in time, therefore becoming fact that the V6's DS has the strength of a toothpick in comparison to the gt.

Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Gunslinger
YES !!!! HELLZZ FREAKIN YES !!!!

the DS in 05-09 mustang suck butt...
I myself,, sustain high speed for 30 seconds in excess of 120 MPH. sharing a open empty road with another mustang driver.. and that was the first time...

the second time was at a speed of 60 MPH in South Carolina.. a 18 wheeler lost tire tread that contacted my DS and caused it to rip off.. destroyed my exhaust system.

im lucky to be alive, my advice is, if you dont own a aluminum DS,, at least,,, have a DS saftey loop. hands down

2005 Mustang Coupe V6
Mod's are :
JLT cold air intake, rear GT sway bar, custom true duel (with H pipe) exhaust with flowmaster mufflers, Hi flow cats, 3.73 gears, traction lock, SCT X3 with 93 Race tune, and 100 shot zex nitrious tune. 18 inch staggered bullit rims (black with silver lip). screaming demon coil with tayler wires, chin spoiler, rear seat delete. Drive shaft safety loop, TCI racthet shifter, Car insured by "Smith & Wesson".
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It would seem only right that FORD would have tested the DS for speeds in excess of what Drivers normally do, after all it is a Mustang not a Geo. And losing a DS going Fast could be a serious problem if it happens. (Conejo172) did you have to turn off your (Speed Limiter) or was it already turned off with your Tune? I assume with all Race Tunes it's turned off or is it? How can I tell if mines off besides going over 115mph

2002 GT Premium Auto Mineral Grey. Pypes Violater Cat Back Exhaust.
2003 V6 Auto Oxford White, all original no Mods
SOLD 2007 V6 Premium Pony
FORD BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS
SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

i've been up to 135 and stayed there for about 5 seconds. nothing happened. although, it may have been dumb luck... i think they are just isolated incidents and probably happen to people who regularly beat there cars.

09 black v6 manual "Sally"
CURRENT MODS: JLT CAI, 93 octane tune
Mods Collecting Dust: t-lok, 4.10's
FUTURE MODS: Pypes true dual exhaust, headers, hurst short thow, blackout head/taillight kit, staggered black 2010 GT500 wheels
best 1/4 = 15.002 (stock)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011
GT Member

It's only on the 05 and some 06 driveshafts.

The u-joints have staked in retainers that can come out at high speeds.

If you have the u-joints with the c-clips, it's fine.

2007 Satin Silver V6 / Explorer Express X-Charger #67 - Xtreme 2.6 - INTERCOOLED!
AEM, MSD, JBA, Zabteck, FRPP X, Dynomax bullets, Pype Bombs, J&M, Steeda, Tokico d-spec, H&R Race, Eibach, Shelby Fays2, Shaftmasters, 8.8, t-lok, 3.73, OE Wheels Cobra R 18x9/10, Nitto 555 255/285, Hawk HPS, GT/CS F/R fascia
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly View Post

Good info to have. I just looked at my 05 and it has some kind of cheesy press-in retaining rings instead of c-clips. Looks like they could come loose over time even if you don't do high speeds regularly. Can they be retrofit to the c-clips easily, or does the whole thing need to be replaced?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1fordlover View Post
It would seem only right that FORD would have tested the DS for speeds in excess of what Drivers normally do, after all it is a Mustang not a Geo. And losing a DS going Fast could be a serious problem if it happens. (Conejo172) did you have to turn off your (Speed Limiter) or was it already turned off with your Tune? I assume with all Race Tunes it's turned off or is it? How can I tell if mines off besides going over 115mph
I had to turn it off with the tune, but I also have tires rated for 186 mph + so I'm not worried about that part of the equation and I doubt the v6 could go much past 160 mph with out F/I

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly View Post

This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for! Thanks for your post! I'm so tired of the people who hear of Rumors and make it FACT, I'm the type that likes to read real fact and not listen to others and what they have "heard" from other parties! Like "bigfoot" and "nessie"is it possible they exist SURE but real Info or STFU!

GT Member

Yep. Same here. Rumors take on a life of their own.

Anyway, Ford redesigned the u-joints and phased them in for the 06 model year. But even the 05 ones are ok if you keep the stock rev limiter setting.

The actual car that I know about belonged to Afixer(Tom). His driveshaft cut loose on the dyno. I believe it was when they were testing the very first X-charger.

2007 Satin Silver V6 / Explorer Express X-Charger #67 - Xtreme 2.6 - INTERCOOLED!
AEM, MSD, JBA, Zabteck, FRPP X, Dynomax bullets, Pype Bombs, J&M, Steeda, Tokico d-spec, H&R Race, Eibach, Shelby Fays2, Shaftmasters, 8.8, t-lok, 3.73, OE Wheels Cobra R 18x9/10, Nitto 555 255/285, Hawk HPS, GT/CS F/R fascia
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
Can they be retrofit to the c-clips easily, or does the whole thing need to be replaced?
Can't be retrofit.

Have to swap in a newer driveshaft or an aftermarket one.

Rookie

I hit warp 9.5 and caught the edge of a wormhole when mine went. Took out the entire engineering section with a great loss of life. Are you serious or delerious. The only reason for an aluminum driveshaft is inertia control of the drive train. What's stronger. Chrome moly or aluminum? If you road race it had best be moly and if you drag it's aluminum. If your drive shaft has worn out joints it will come apart at 60 MPH. If your shaft is dented or out of round it will disintegrate, Eigther way you will feel the vibration. There are much more pressing issues to be afraid of at that speed on a road.:laughlitt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page