are cams and heads worth it to get horsepower - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

are cams and heads worth it to get horsepower

Question that gets me is it worth to get cams and heads in the future before you supercharge. It all seems like it cost would alot of money. 2500 plus 800 for install or save up for supercharger ?

2008 GT GRAY 4.6 BBK Rear Control arms and Rear Upper Control Arms, MSD Ign, & New Strut Tower.
1979 Indy pace car mustang 2.3 L turbo Im working on now getting running and passing az emissions Hopefully.[/COLOR]
RIP 4.0 2008 MUSTANG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
Apprentice

A quality set of heads like AFR and a good quality cam will make plenty of power, as will a supercharger but it all depends on where you want to go and how reliable you want your engine to be.

1989 Ford Mustang Lx 5.0 T-5 5 speed converted, completely stock, Deep Emerald Green, 5 lug conversion, Cobra Wheels, UPR rear upper and lower tubular control arms, UPR tubular k-member kit, UPR caster/camber plates; 347 stroker (Eagle crank and rods) AFR 205 heads....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Get the supercharger first, then get heads and cams

XCharger HiPo 2.8, JBA shorty headers, Zabteck ported & polished TB, Mac ProChamber, Flowmaster American Thunders, GT500 shocks/struts/strut mounts, GT500 front LCA's, Shaftmasters 4" aluminum d/s

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
PONY Member

What are the AFR heads? The only ones I've ever heard of for our six are the ones at Super Six.

2006 Performance White GT 5 Speed - K&N CAI, Magnaflow catback
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

same here only heard and talked to the guy from super six. Are there other cams to get that might be cheaper ?

2008 GT GRAY 4.6 BBK Rear Control arms and Rear Upper Control Arms, MSD Ign, & New Strut Tower.
1979 Indy pace car mustang 2.3 L turbo Im working on now getting running and passing az emissions Hopefully.[/COLOR]
RIP 4.0 2008 MUSTANG
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

i think 3300 is what the low end supercharger costs new... and you can install it yourself.

207.0/218.4
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011
Apprentice

Im stuck in the same position, im ordering a drive shaft and gears right away, then would like go with other the cam and heads route or saving up for a powerhouse turbo. A guy from a local speed shop recomended me to go with the f/i first because by the timer were done with stage three heads and cams it will run you about the same as a f/i...

So im leaning towards the f/i route first just because it will result in larger power, but not excatly sure mechanically would be the best first step

And there the heads and cams from super six, as well morana racing motorsports specializes in heads and cams and engine upgrading for the 4.0 L mustang and have many products of that sort that are farily similiar in price.... fyi

2006 mustang V6 pony package : Diablo tuner, BBk TB, AEM CAI, shaft masters 4'' Driveshaft, 8.8'' trac lok rearend, 3.55 gears, Screaming demon w/ livewires, MAC ceramic coated shorties, pypes x pipe, magnaflow dual catback exhaust
+many appereance mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page