Thinking about doing a shaker - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thinking about doing a shaker

I am thinking about doing a shaker hood scoop. I already have e JLT CAI. Ive been reading and it seems with the CAI it cannot force air into the engine... Obviously. Well would I be better off going back to the stock airbox and shaker with a tune or stick with the CAI and just not get the "Ram air" Feature? Thanks

2008 Mustang V6 Grabber Orange
Performance: JLT CAI and Bama Tune, Dynomax Dual exhaust, Shorty Headers, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, Oil Catch Can,Shaker Hood Scoop
Looks: Quater Window Louvers, Shorty Antenna, GT Front Grille and Bumper, Tint,Painted Mirror Covers, Chrome door pins, Pony floor mats, LED Footwells, 4.0 Emblems, Stealth Mud Flaps, Sequentials, Chrome Cupholder Bezel, Grabber orange trim, 12"racing stripes with pinstripes, GT rocker panels, GT takeoff 18" aluminum wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011
Apprentice

Why not do both? Have the air from the shaker going to your JLT cai.
This is a picture from AM.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steeda-shaker1.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	127368  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I know but that isnt really ramming air. Im debating that or stock airbox

Performance: JLT CAI and Bama Tune, Dynomax Dual exhaust, Shorty Headers, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, Oil Catch Can,Shaker Hood Scoop
Looks: Quater Window Louvers, Shorty Antenna, GT Front Grille and Bumper, Tint,Painted Mirror Covers, Chrome door pins, Pony floor mats, LED Footwells, 4.0 Emblems, Stealth Mud Flaps, Sequentials, Chrome Cupholder Bezel, Grabber orange trim, 12"racing stripes with pinstripes, GT rocker panels, GT takeoff 18" aluminum wheels

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011
PONY Member

As long as you direct the air flow to the filter you will get the ram air effect, what little there is. I have the stock air box on my 2008 with a K&N drop in filter. I may add a CAI later on but I have been quite happy with the results of just adding a tuner to my shaker/stock air box setup.
In my opinion the Shaker just makes a Grabber Orange car look complete. Its worth it for the looks alone.

2008 V6 Deluxe manual
Grabber Orange with just one option, over the top stripes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah I am doing it for looks and if Im going to spend 200 on a fake one Ill spend 600 for the real thing that looks better and "helps cool the engine bay" lol

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtime View Post
As long as you direct the air flow to the filter you will get the ram air effect, what little there is. I have the stock air box on my 2008 with a K&N drop in filter. I may add a CAI later on but I have been quite happy with the results of just adding a tuner to my shaker/stock air box setup.
In my opinion the Shaker just makes a Grabber Orange car look complete. Its worth it for the looks alone.
i agree, they do look great keep the cai too, you`ll still get better performance running the jlt, the extra air wont hurt either

on the $200, by the time i got my roush scoop painted, i have $300 into it, but i really like it alot, no complaints.

05 V6 auto,
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

The faster you drive the more air is forced to the filter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011
GT Member

Ram air is largely a myth. Consider that you can not *start* to compress air until aprox. mach .3
There may be *very* slight effects above 120 mph, but it would be not noticeable.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011
PONY Member

I would think 99.9% of the people adding a shaker hood are doing it for the looks. That would be my reason.

K&N CAI, Diablo Pgmr, Pypes cat back X pipes w/GT mufflers, Rousch Extreme springs, Koni St.R Struts and Shocks, 2010 SVT 18X9 1/2 wheels with Hankock 255/45-18 tires. CDC Chin Spoiler, GT500 Rear spoiler, Eleanore grill, CDC Light Bar,Carbon Fiber dash inserts, 2011 GT Premium leather seats, , Pioneer stereo with Bluetooth and DVD, Upgraded 3 way speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page