Shaft masters Drive shaft Install Help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Shaft masters Drive shaft Install Help!

so i got my shaft masters alumnuin drive shaft today. I have pulled everything out and am ready to install. I have the 8.8 inch rear end, and i ordered the shaft masters 4" drive shaft w/ the cobra pinion flange so it will be a direct bolt on to the 8.8.

But i got the part and im confused because im not sure if i am suppose to get a adapter plate. I have read a few install threads on the 3.5 " shaft and thought it would be almost the same.. But i was not given the adapter plate (see pictures) so im confused if the 4" does not need the plate or if they forgot to send it or what :?: When i try sliding the shaft into the rear end it does not slide in nicely, not too sure if i am suppose to force it into the rear end or if if should go in nicely? Dont want to force it if something is wrong or i need the adapter plate?

Please help!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	057.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	657.5 KB
ID:	129376   Click image for larger version

Name:	055.jpg
Views:	1145
Size:	674.7 KB
ID:	129377   Click image for larger version

Name:	056.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	722.1 KB
ID:	129378   Click image for larger version

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	2032
Size:	601.2 KB
ID:	129379  

2006 mustang V6 pony package : Diablo tuner, BBk TB, AEM CAI, shaft masters 4'' Driveshaft, 8.8'' trac lok rearend, 3.55 gears, Screaming demon w/ livewires, MAC ceramic coated shorties, pypes x pipe, magnaflow dual catback exhaust
+many appereance mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011
Rake

Does the 8.8's flange have a lip around the edge? My 7.5's flange was flat, so I didn't have to deal with that.

Your shaft appears to be a different design, as well. IIRC, mine had the four point mount like the stock shaft, rather then the round one with 6 holes in it like yours does.

Send an e-mail to Shaftmasters with a link to this thread, and they'll respond pretty quickly. In fact, I think they have an account here.

[email protected]

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

the cobra flange is for the 8.8 so that the V6 drive shaft will bolt up. did you buy the flange on the rear end but get a gt shaft or vice versa?

05 V6 auto,

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

SO i ended up just sanding the rear end a little more and it went in fairly easy, i think it was just a little rust built up that wasnt allowing me too slide the end of he drive shaft into the rear end..

2006 mustang V6 pony package : Diablo tuner, BBk TB, AEM CAI, shaft masters 4'' Driveshaft, 8.8'' trac lok rearend, 3.55 gears, Screaming demon w/ livewires, MAC ceramic coated shorties, pypes x pipe, magnaflow dual catback exhaust
+many appereance mods
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011
Apprentice

Looks to me that you have the correct parts. Your 8.8 has the factory stock flange on it not the Cobra flange. The Shaftmasters drive shaft looks like it has the correct flange on it to fit the stock 8.8 flange. It may be a snug fit but it should go in. You may need to use the bolts to pull it in. It will use 6 bolts where the Cobra flange would only have four like you original V6 driveshaft. If the kit did not come with the six bolts you will need to pick them up from Ford.

2006 V6 PP
Explorer Express - X-Charger SuperX TVS (Prototype)
Tremec TR6060 6-Speed Manual Transmission
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011
Apprentice

Make sure to put some red thread locker on the bolts. The 4 at the transmission end get torqued to 76Lb-Ft and the six on the differential end get torqued to 41Lb-Ft with the stock GT flange as you have.

2006 V6 PP
Explorer Express - X-Charger SuperX TVS (Prototype)
Tremec TR6060 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
drive shaft , shaft masters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page