2005 Mustang V6 coolant - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

2005 Mustang V6 coolant

Wife called with the car overheating... Checked level ... It was low by 2.5 gallons...
Found a leak right side of engine at the front... Looks like a gasket leak...

I'm a carpenter... If it ain't sawdust, I don't want to touch it...Help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

welcome to the forums, thats a bummer, that thing was empty. thats when head problems happen from heat. check real good just below the throttle body. most likely the plastic thermostat housing. its a pretty easy fix if thats it. hope nothing else happened. you can check it out in a manual, or heres a little write up i did

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-how-pics.html

05 V6 auto,
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011
GT Member

If it is the thermostat and you decide to take on the job yourself be careful not to mix antifreeze types, as that can cause jelling of the coolant. Original Ford spec was Motorcraft Gold type.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

a couple years ago my t stat housing cracked. once i got home and parked my car white smoke started flowing from my car. i had a warranty so it on cost me $100.

i think this might be common with our cars

2005 4.0 R.I.P 12/22/08-4/13/12

2013 5.0 Premium GT Borla S-Type,BBK Shorty Headers, BBK X Pipe

more mods arriving shortly...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
Rookie

take it to a ford dealership and sacrifice the 92.00$ diagnostic fee...I had a similar problem and it ended up being a damaged radiator and had to be replaced for more money then i expected...I had two puddles of coolant everytime the car was off. I had no idea where to start. Hope this helps!

2008 Black V6 4.0
JLT CAI, Bama Race 93 Octane Tune (SCT SF3)
Pypes dual exhaust, demon coils, NGK plugs
[/I]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSHSTANG View Post
a couple years ago my t stat housing cracked. once i got home and parked my car white smoke started flowing from my car. i had a warranty so it on cost me $100.

i think this might be common with our cars
It is a very common problem on our cars. I had mine go too. I think I spent a little over $100 doing it myself

XCharger HiPo 2.8, JBA shorty headers, Zabteck ported & polished TB, Mac ProChamber, Flowmaster American Thunders, GT500 shocks/struts/strut mounts, GT500 front LCA's, Shaftmasters 4" aluminum d/s
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011
Rookie

Please do this yourself, happened to me about two days ago, I pulled over before any smoke started coming out but the thermostat did crack and it was leaking, I took it to the my local dealership and they wanted $450 for the parts and labor. Way too much, when you could get the parts cheaper from autozone or online and not have to pay for labor. So in my opinion do it yourself or get an estimate from other local auto shops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page