2005 ford Mustang front driver-side CV boot replacement - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

2005 ford Mustang front driver-side CV boot replacement

Hey Guys!

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe v6 4.0L

First post here. I found some excellent tips and guides on this forum for replacing my thermostat housing that was leaking fluid. It's been a major help so i figured I come with another question.

In the process of draining my coolant before replacing the t-stat housing, my friend and I noticed my CV Boot on my drivers side (front) has come loose. It looks a little torn and I was looking to just replace the part. I looked and found the replacement for around $20 at a couple places.

My question is: Is this a hard part to replace? And does anyone have any info/tips/guides to replacing it?

In light of how smoothly replacing the thermostat housing is going, I would love to do this myself as well if it is possible.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

welcome to the forums. i hope you found my writeup on the t stat housing not sure about the boot, someone else might chime in, but i`ll look in my book later and see what i can find. enjoy the forums

05 V6 auto,
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome, amustangrocks. I'll be sure and chime in on the thermostat housing thread when i'm all done with that part; just to let everyone know how it went. Thanks again!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011
Jozsefsz

You're probably referring to the rack & pinion boot? A front driver's side CV boot would only happen on a front-wheel-drive vehicle. A Mustang may have had a rear CV joint, or perhaps one in the driveshaft.

They're pretty easy to replace, but you'll need to remove the tie-rod end as well as the nut from the tie rod. Carefully marking the original location of both can help you avoid an alignment.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

remove he wheel. remove the tie rod end. remove the steering gear boot clamps. the outer clamp on the boot can be removed with pliars. the inner clamp must be cut off.

some boots have small vents. make sure to note the position of the vents if it has them. before installing the new boot, wrap the threads and serations on the end of the inner tie rod with tape so the small end of the new boot isnt damaged.

slide the new boot into position on the steering gear until it seats n the groove in the steering gear and install new clamps. remove the tape from the inner tie rod and install the tie rod end.

like said, mark the thread location before you take it apart so you get it back exactly like it was.

05 V6 auto,
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011
PONY Member

I would think tearing the new boot when you slide it over the tierod ends would be the hardest part of the job. Please note that there is a special tool to tighten the band in the big end of the boot, but side cutters or claw plyers can be used as a sunstitute.

K&N CAI, Diablo Pgmr, Pypes cat back X pipes w/GT mufflers, Rousch Extreme springs, Koni St.R Struts and Shocks, 2010 SVT 18X9 1/2 wheels with Hankock 255/45-18 tires. CDC Chin Spoiler, GT500 Rear spoiler, Eleanore grill, CDC Light Bar,Carbon Fiber dash inserts, 2011 GT Premium leather seats, , Pioneer stereo with Bluetooth and DVD, Upgraded 3 way speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2005 , coupe , cv boot , steering , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page