Ford Mustang Forum banner

2010 Mustang V6 Bama Tunes First Impression

7K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  AMDanBailer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Finally decided to make the leap and get a tuner from American Muscle with the Bama Custom Tunes. I went with the 89 Street, 89 Performance, and 91 Race Tunes (no 93 in Cali) to start. I decided I'd build my way up to the Race tune and to start off with the 89 Street.

After using it for a little over 100 miles I'd have to say that I haven't noticed too drastic a difference. I can feel a little more pull when I hit the accelerator and my tires have chirped a couple times, but overall it feels pretty similar to stock. The one thing that hasn't seemed to change at all is the shifting, which from what I've read seemed like one of the best reasons to get the tuner for an Automatic.

My only other mod is dual exhaust (opted not to get a CAI for the moment) and I know I am only running the street tune, but I feel the difference should be a little more noticeable. Most of my driving is city or slow as hell L.A. traffic so I am in that lower RPM range often.

I plan on trying out the Performance tune later this month and the Race tune sometime after, but with the street tune right now I'm just not feeling that 'night and day' difference. Is the Street Tune generally not that noticeable or could something else be wrong?

See less See more
#3 ·
trust me when i say this. you fell the difference with the 91 race tune. the other tunes are weak compared to the 91 race. i drive in the same slow la traffic and my pedal is sensitive and the tune changed the exhaust tone(its more aggressive).

#4 ·
I was planning on working my way through the tunes just because I actually wanted to feel the difference each one makes. I figured if I jumped straight to the Race Tune I'd probably never look back at the other ones haha.

I am sure the Race Tune is probably much stronger, but I still figure the Street tune should be a bit more noticeable.

#6 ·
Call them up if you cant tell the difference with shifting. There was a thread here "Kinda disappointed with bama tune" Where the OP said that something got messed up with a couple of the V6 tunes the week before the 4th of july or so. He had to have his rewritten.

I loaded the 87 street first and I noticed the difference as soon as I pulled out of my driveway. If you go wot, you should feel the transmission almost slamming into gear like a manual. For regular driving you will only feel it with the race tune really.

The tuner by itself will only add so much power, it's when you combine it with all the other things you tune for that you get the biggest benefit. That said, you should notice the difference even with nothing else.

BTW I would get all the tunes written for 91 octane if I were you. The tunes are just better with the higher grade.

#9 ·
Call them up if you cant tell the difference with shifting. There was a thread here "Kinda disappointed with bama tune" Where the OP said that something got messed up with a couple of the V6 tunes the week before the 4th of july or so. He had to have his rewritten.
I read through that thread and thought that I could be experiencing the same thing. I ordered my tuner just before July 4th too. I will probably contact Bama to have them take a look at it. It is Free Tunes for Life, so it can't hurt.

I'll update when I know more.

#7 ·
In My Opinion the other Tunes (Street, Preformance and Economy) are Nothing Compared to the Race Tune, especially the 93 Race Tune. Now I have yet to try out the 93 Race Tune as Im still waiting for the Up-Dated Version of it, but I am running Chris Rose's 93 ALL OUT Tune. Im guessing the 93 ALL OUT Tune is (Close) to BAMA's 93 Race Tune with BAMA's 93 Race Tune a bit more agressive in the shift points and I definately noticed a BIG difference in that over the other Tunes I've tried.
I will Never run anything but the 93 All Out Tune or the 93 Race Tune once I install it as the other Tunes wont even come close in Preformance or the WOW factor. So dont worry once you try the 91 Race Tune Im sure you'll be Pleased:bigthumbsup and too bad you cant get 93 Octane as Im sure you'd be even more Pleased with it.
Install the 91 Race Tune and then get back to us with your results:winks

#8 ·
That's true, Ron, BUT he should have still noticed the shifting difference no matter which tune he loaded. I ran the street tune for a week and I was loving it at first (until I tried the race tune:winks) I think the street and performance tunes push back the shift points to about 6200rpm or so (at least on my GT) and the race tune goes to about 6500rpm. The firmness is there with all 3 but again the race feel the most firm, and is noticable while regular driving.

It wont feel like a supercharger or anything, but you should feel it regardless. The car should just drive much differently. Better!

#10 ·
tunes for my gt mt;; stock is nice
performance is yeah! something else
Race is WOW WOW WOW! with tc off, it is like having another tune ..I bet I spend 95% of driving time in RACE__ love it

#11 ·
it looks like all you guys stepped up in intervals each tune. Does this mean that you cant just pop in the 93 race tune? do you have to "break it in" or something?
Also, I am looking into getting a tuner because I am running nitrous. Two of my tunes would be 93 race and 93 race+ nitrous; however, I do not know what the third should be??

#12 ·
it looks like all you guys stepped up in intervals each tune. Does this mean that you cant just pop in the 93 race tune? do you have to "break it in" or something?
Also, I am looking into getting a tuner because I am running nitrous. Two of my tunes would be 93 race and 93 race+ nitrous; however, I do not know what the third should be??
Before loading up the higher octane tunes be sure first of all that you are running the correct octane. Secondly its a good idea to run a tank of the higher octane through the system before loading the tune. Its ok to run a higher octane with a lesser tune, but not the opposite.

Now to OP's question, On my 4.0 the 87 street was just so so, with better throttle response (manual trans) pulled a little harder then stock but was nothing amazing. 89 performance was better performance, and 93 was OMG!

The 91 octane race tune should have the same result. Run a tank full before switching over the tune, and report back afterwards. It should be night and day difference!

#16 ·
So I loaded the new tunes up a couple days ago. I kept to 89 Street Tune to compare it to the last tune I had. Man, what a difference. I can definitely feel the car pull when I hit the accelerator and the lag is now gone. I also noticed much firmer shifting when I had a chance to go WOT. Maybe it is just me, but I swear the car sounds better too.

I can't even imagine what the Race Tune must be like. I'm going to stick with the Street for a bit and try out the 89 Performance in a week or two and then finally put the 91 Race on there.

Much thanks to American Muscle and the Bama team, you guys rock!

#17 ·
I'm really glad to hear that you were able to get the tunes straightened out and that you are happy with them:bigthumbsup

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns in the future!

Have a great weekend!

#19 ·
I second that. Bama customer service is great or should i say the best. (of course you gotta throw AM in there)

i called today with some questions about my tune and i think it was dave or dan cant remember his name exactly but i asked him questions about my tune and he said he will make it a little better for me. i am also getting firmer shift points which is cool. very nice people which is why i will always recommend them over the competitors any day of the week:bigthumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.