91 Bama Race Tune Killing my MPGs? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

The sidewall of my tires say 44 PSI max but Ford recommends 32 PSI so I've always run with that. Maybe like 34 PSI wouldn't hurt, but like txdevildog said I'm not so sure about inflating the tires to the max due to the extra wear.

2010 V6 Sterling Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member

Tire pressure is 100% related to the tires that are on the car.

If the tires are not the original tires from the car, the doorcard may not be correct as far as tire pressure goes.

Inflating tires just below max PSI is not bad for the tires, so you must go by what the tires say. If the tires say 44psi and the car calls for 32, you can certainly/safely get away with bumping up tire pressures to 38-40psi without having a problem or causing irregular wear.

Getting maximum MPG is tricky. There are secrets to it, for sure, but by no means should you be running 10mpg with our tune.

Something else must be wrong(stuck open injector, spark plugs, etc.). The easy way to solve this would be to datalog the car and see what fuel trim and timing look like. From there, if the tune is fine, I would definitely look into your fuel/ignition systems for the source of the problem.

Also, to get maximum gas mileage, as keep your windows up. Having the windows down, especially on the highway will significantly reduce fuel mileage.

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMChrisYoung View Post
Tire pressure is 100% related to the tires that are on the car.

If the tires are not the original tires from the car, the doorcard may not be correct as far as tire pressure goes.

Inflating tires just below max PSI is not bad for the tires, so you must go by what the tires say. If the tires say 44psi and the car calls for 32, you can certainly/safely get away with bumping up tire pressures to 38-40psi without having a problem or causing irregular wear.
That's a good point. I'll have to check the door card too see if these are the factory tires.

Quote:
Getting maximum MPG is tricky. There are secrets to it, for sure, but by no means should you be running 10mpg with our tune.
Something else must be wrong(stuck open injector, spark plugs, etc.). The easy way to solve this would be to datalog the car and see what fuel trim and timing look like. From there, if the tune is fine, I would definitely look into your fuel/ignition systems for the source of the problem.
Is this something my SCT X3 Tuner can help me with?

Quote:
Also, to get maximum gas mileage, as keep your windows up. Having the windows down, especially on the highway will significantly reduce fuel mileage.
I usually drive with the windows down because I've heard that driving with air conditioning is more detrimental to fuel economy. If you had to pick AC vs. windows down which will have less of an effect on MPG's? I have to have one or I'll sweat to death from the Cali sun haha.

2010 V6 Sterling Gray

BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selk View Post
That's a good point. I'll have to check the door card too see if these are the factory tires.

Is this something my SCT X3 Tuner can help me with?

I usually drive with the windows down because I've heard that driving with air conditioning is more detrimental to fuel economy. If you had to pick AC vs. windows down which will have less of an effect on MPG's? I have to have one or I'll sweat to death from the Cali sun haha.

A/C on and windows up will get far better mileage on the highway than having the windows down. When you get off the highway and to lower speeds, you can then put the windows down, as it will not have as much of an effect.

As for the tuner, yes, you can use it(along with a laptop) to datalog the car and see what the tune is really doing.

Also, you are kind of SOL being in Cali and only able to run 91 octane, 93 octane would get better fuel mileage(fuel atomization and combustion are more efficient with 93 than 91).

The door card won't tell you if they are the factory tires, only if they are the factory size. You should be setting tire pressure by what is on the tires on the car, not what the doorcard recommends should be on the car.

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Damn Cali and the no 93...

Thanks for all the tips, I'll see what I can do over the next few weeks and will update this thread if I start seeing some improvements.

2010 V6 Sterling Gray
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selk View Post
Damn Cali and the no 93...

Thanks for all the tips, I'll see what I can do over the next few weeks and will update this thread if I start seeing some improvements.

Cool, please do!

Have a great afternoon!

Free Same-Day Shipping!
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdevildog View Post
I have the Pony Package 17" wheels and they call for 32 psi. That's the usual tire pressure on most cars. It won't hurt going a little over that, I used to go up to 36 on my truck. I believe you are over-inflating your tires. It should be no more than 44 and getting up high like that will reduce your grip and increase your tire wear and chances of a blowout. What you're doing now is just wearing out the center of your tires. If it's too low it will wear out the sides. Try keeping it around 32-35.

edit: unless your hauling a giant load or random stuff don't inflate your tires so much. check on the inside of the door it should show 32 psi. if you're checking the sidewall of your tire it shows how much you can safely fill up your tire. 32 is in no way bad for mileage. only if you go down to something like 20 you'll see about a 10% decrease in gas mileage.
i did tire work for 5 years at a caddy dealer in the early 1970`s. the p235/75r-15 tires, on the sidewall, called for 32 psi. those people wanted the car to ride like a cloud so we put 28 in the frt (big engines) 26 in the rear and balanced them on the car with a stewart warner strobe light. back then gas was .23 a gal no one cared about mileage.

a few lbs does make a difference. theres no way i would run 32 in a tire calling for 44. your just giving money to the oil companys. theres no adverse wear on either of our stangs, and i`m getting 28 mpg hammering it on the highway with the windows down. and thats with fat tires, bama race tune and 3.73`s

05 V6 auto,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2010 , bama tunes , mpg , v6 mustang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page