Turbo or super charger on a 2010 v6 thoughts. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Turbo or super charger on a 2010 v6 thoughts.

Ok so I was thinking of getting a super charger or turbo charger sometime soon hopefully... but I didnt know what all I had to upgrade on my car. I have a CAI, tuner and pypes single exhaust. Im eventually going to get 3.73 w/T-lok.. i dont want to upgrade to a 8.8 rear end, i dont plan on putting racing slicks on it.. ive been thinking of getting one of them F/I systems but wasnt too sure if I really want to do that because with the cost of one of em I could have a bike and its a tough choice for me. I plan on owning the car until i run it into the dirt... Its my 1st car so yea i want to keep it for as long as inhumanly possible. so yea. what are the pros and cons of these systems??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
Pros:more power, more fun, quicker car
Cons: more strain on engine, voids warranty, usually worse fuel mileage.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011
PONY Member
Classic Member

Get the turbo, takes less hp to run.

• SOLD 1966 Mustang Convertible Red 289
  • 2001 SVT Cobra Coupe Red
  • 2012 Mustang 5.0 Premium Coupe Silver

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011
PONY Member

for a v6 im pro turbo...I think that it provides for better potential output in the long run plus i believe it has higher gains than a super charger, but with that being said from those before me, a super charger will almost cirtainly drop gas mileage because it is driven by the belt whereas a turbo is driven by the exhaust. Depending on what you want to use your car for, i know i keep my for daily driving, i would like the turbo lag so that i can stay out of boost in low RPMs and highway crusing, but get that power when i throw down the throttle...If you really want to have a thrill with it than a supercharger will give you more power lower in the power range...A turbo may be a bit more expencive from the kits I have seen. Either way, they both add a heafty heap of power to your car and put you up there with those GT owners...

Im in a similar situation where im saving money for a bike, but then think a turbo would be pretty nice too...I dont think you could go wrong either way and the cost would probably even out after you factor in insurence and maintnance vs increased fuel consumption in your car

2007 V6 TORCH RED (will be missed)
2001 Bullitt - #1001 (Good riddance)
2004 Mach 1
--Magnaflow Exhaust, MGW shifter..For now
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter9003 View Post
Get the turbo, takes less hp to run.
When your adding 100 hp to a car, I doubt anyones gonna notice the 2 hp it costs to drive the s/c.

Turbos are good for making more hp, but a s/c is usually more reliable. A s/c will also cost a good bit less for installation, and really isn't that hard to do yourself if you like to wrench.

Shadow, a s/c isn't gonna give you any less mpg than a turbo. You add more air, you need to add more fuel. Either way you will likely see a small drop in fuel economy. You can stay out of the boost on the s/c just like a turbo if you drive conservatively, and you will get the same punch when you hit the pedal with a s/c as you would with a turbo.

To the OP, they are both good choices, each a little different. It's up to you which you want, but I don't think I have ever heard someone get one then wish they had gotten the other

XCharger HiPo 2.8, JBA shorty headers, Zabteck ported & polished TB, Mac ProChamber, Flowmaster American Thunders, GT500 shocks/struts/strut mounts, GT500 front LCA's, Shaftmasters 4" aluminum d/s
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

Pretty much everyone is on point about the info. Bottom line, most kits come with everything and its intended to be used on a stock Mustang. But most of them come with the fuel managment system (injectors etc) and a tuner to reprogram your computer.

SC's are blet driven, meaning the belt turns the impella. THe turbo is driven off your exhaust fumes... that's why you get that "turbo lag", meaning its like a split second to kick in after you punch it.

But if you plan for it to be a daily driver and you really not going to put in in the race track etc. Basically any aftermarket kit will do. But if you are not familiar with working around the engine, I say pay the extra 700-1000 dollars to have a professional to install it for you. Its better to be safe than sorry.
But either way, turbo or SC makes a ton of power and its a lot of fun to have.
I too will be adding a power adder by Febuary next year, so good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page