how to make a cold air without tune for under 40$ - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

how to make a cold air without tune for under 40$

Just an idea for anyone who was lookig for the same thing i was, a little more power, not having to buy a tuner (though it would only help), and maybe a tiny bit more mpg's without having to spend more than 75$

I got a hold of a stock 4.0 airbox (so i wouldnt have to chop up my own incase it didn't work) for about 30$ then i took a cone filter i had that came off my last car and cut the lid of the box off of the pipe holding the maf sensor (if you use the same size maf piping as stock then you dont need a tune), i attached the filter to the pipe and reconnected everything then took the lid of the box and made the hole from where i had cut off the pipe even bigger and it fit right on the lower portion of the airbox and i was done. so far i have noticed the car is more jumpy and responsive when i hit the throttle, if i could keep my foot off the gas i'd tell about the mpgs...but i am happy with the results for how little money i spent, any ways just thought i'd let anybody who wants to know see it

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	799.7 KB
ID:	139995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0394.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	787.7 KB
ID:	139996  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Such of a great idea man nice work

2005 Mustang V6
Mods:
15% tint all around(5% strip)
GT Style Grille W/ Fog Lights
10k Hid Heads and Fogs
Sequential Tail lights
MAC Boom Tube Axle Back Exhaust
Performance Mods Coming Soon...:shiny:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011
GT Member

very tempted to do this.....so you run this with the lid on, just with the larger whole cut in it??

BTW.....what grill is that?? I might want to get that as well

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011
PONY Member

wouldn't the stock box with a K&N replacement filter do the same? Just asking...

K&N CAI, Diablo Pgmr, Pypes cat back X pipes w/GT mufflers, Rousch Extreme springs, Koni St.R Struts and Shocks, 2010 SVT 18X9 1/2 wheels with Hankock 255/45-18 tires. CDC Chin Spoiler, GT500 Rear spoiler, Eleanore grill, CDC Light Bar,Carbon Fiber dash inserts, 2011 GT Premium leather seats, , Pioneer stereo with Bluetooth and DVD, Upgraded 3 way speakers.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryinFlorida View Post
wouldn't the stock box with a K&N replacement filter do the same? Just asking...
how much of any gains would you expect to get if any? minimal right?

Mods: Magnaflow True Duals Exhaust with X-pipe, TruFiber Cobra Roadster Hood, Scott Drake Billet Hood Pins, black retro billet grille, Roush front fascia, Razzi rocker panels, Razzi rear valance, 18" Polished Bullitts, Quarter Window Louvers, Powered by Ford badges, 1969 pillar ornaments, GT Spoiler, Limo Tint, Painted Shelby stripes, 2011 GT New Take off leather seat skins, Tribar Pony floormats
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
very tempted to do this.....so you run this with the lid on, just with the larger whole cut in it??

BTW.....what grill is that?? I might want to get that as well
yeah i keep the lid on it kind of as a heat shield and i ran some tubing from the front bumper to the box as a duct. It is an ebay grille with a '69 grille emblem on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryinFlorida View Post
well i had that and not sure why but the cone filter on the end of the tubing just gives more response

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MineralGrayV6 View Post
yeah it is all minimal gains but they are noticable enough to where you can tell your wheels want to spin more on takeoffs and turns and it gives me more get up and go at lights when i put my foot in it, i really couldn't give a true number but if i really had to guess i'd say maybe around 5-10 but don't quote me on that
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MineralGrayV6 View Post
i would say maybe 1-3 at best haha,
I think this is a great idea! reminds me of a steeda design minus the tuning.

i really like the idea of using the stock airbox as a heat shield...thats a major flaw i have never liked about the "cold" air kits that are on the market right now. I think the most important thing to take is, in my experience too, the conical filters allow for better responsiveness and i think you are feeling a lot of that. If you car is more responsive, your car will want to get up an go a lot easier (in theory).

I love seeing people make the best out of something small, awesome job

2007 V6 TORCH RED (will be missed)
2001 Bullitt - #1001 (Good riddance)
2004 Mach 1
--Magnaflow Exhaust, MGW shifter..For now
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow0415 View Post
i would say maybe 1-3 at best haha,
I think this is a great idea! reminds me of a steeda design minus the tuning.

i really like the idea of using the stock airbox as a heat shield...thats a major flaw i have never liked about the "cold" air kits that are on the market right now. I think the most important thing to take is, in my experience too, the conical filters allow for better responsiveness and i think you are feeling a lot of that. If you car is more responsive, your car will want to get up an go a lot easier (in theory).

I love seeing people make the best out of something small, awesome job
yeah i am bad at guessing hp...your probably right it is more the responsiveness than the actualy gains, but thanks! i am deffinitely satisfied with it, it will hold me over until i have enough saved up for a tuner then im going with a jlt
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullitt51 View Post
yeah i am bad at guessing hp...your probably right it is more the responsiveness than the actualy gains, but thanks! i am deffinitely satisfied with it, it will hold me over until i have enough saved up for a tuner then im going with a jlt
its not a bad guess...its the same for just about all bolt ons...nice sales pitch if you ask me...but even things like exhaust claiming 15hp from an axle back really translates to a more realistic ~5 if lucky...I think bolt ons are best for the responsiveness, but hey, that is what makes the car so fun to drive since no one likes to mash the pedal to accelerate from 60-65 lol

i may do the same since i have an ebay intake that i hate for the tiny tubing since i plan to get the JLT or some other pvc intake similar whos name i forgot

2007 V6 TORCH RED (will be missed)
2001 Bullitt - #1001 (Good riddance)
2004 Mach 1
--Magnaflow Exhaust, MGW shifter..For now
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow0415 View Post
its not a bad guess...its the same for just about all bolt ons...nice sales pitch if you ask me...but even things like exhaust claiming 15hp from an axle back really translates to a more realistic ~5 if lucky...I think bolt ons are best for the responsiveness, but hey, that is what makes the car so fun to drive since no one likes to mash the pedal to accelerate from 60-65 lol

i may do the same since i have an ebay intake that i hate for the tiny tubing since i plan to get the JLT or some other pvc intake similar whos name i forgot
that is true lol, i just wasn't expecting much of a diffeence and was pleasantly surprised from it, plus you get that more of a suction noise when you hit the throttle, but yeah it's not a bad idea, i traveled back down to college with it yesterday which is 200 miles from my home and it worked just fine, i think i went up 1 mpg from it on the highway so no big deal but still nice to see
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page