Radiator cover... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Radiator cover...

So I was poking around the engine bay and noticed I'm missing some of the plastic tab/hold downs or whatever they're called. And the rad cover seems pretty loose. So any ideas where to get new ones? I think this is causing a rattle when idling while in drive.

LLR00717

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
probably can find then at an autoparts store or if your at a junkyard then grab a bunch there.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

its been a problem for me since i got this car. i bought a bunch of pins from different auto parts and they never fit right. for my hood blanket i bought some that were close, and ground some of the chistmas tree part off on the bench grinder to make fit. still need a few for the wheel wells, that the auto parts does not have.

i couldnt find the 2 i needed for the rear bumper, bottom edge, so i got them from the dealer. ouch though, i think they were $7 for 2 pins. and look where they are made. we cant make these things here?

those rad pins are kinda special, they have a tap on the tops of them to be able to pop them off with the tool, as they sit down in the recess. even with all the pins in place the cover is still kinda loose, but thats how the entire car is built.

i dont have any junk yards around here, that would be a great thing. ive seen some pins(like the hood blanket) at cjpony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bumper pins.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	140014  

05 V6 auto,

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Half tempted to just order hood struts and remove the thing. Will look around and see if I can find something.

Mines a little more than a little loose. A couple are of the pins are missing and at least one other is just sitting there.

LLR00717
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member

hood struts are a nice idea, as are hood pins, a little testy of an install but you will be satisfied, Im currently fabbing a strut kit from junkyard parts, if i get it all good i may sell a few, it would be alot cheaper than 100 bucks a pop for sure.

I really want hood pins but install is a pain, if your latch is F'd then look into em, otherwise IDK why i mentioned them.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
hood struts are a nice idea, as are hood pins, a little testy of an install but you will be satisfied, Im currently fabbing a strut kit from junkyard parts, if i get it all good i may sell a few, it would be alot cheaper than 100 bucks a pop for sure.

I really want hood pins but install is a pain, if your latch is F'd then look into em, otherwise IDK why i mentioned them.
The latch is fine.....its just the plastic rad cover is loose. It bugs me. And you mentioned the hood pins cause they always look cool

I would get them but drilling holes in my hood scares the crap outta me.

LLR00717
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member

same, thats also what scares me with some of the hood strut kits.

As i said im fabbing a set, trying to use a bracket that uses the existing hinge bolts on the hood, and then ill just have to drill 2 holes in the fender. If all goes well i can let you know and probly get 1 to you for like 20 bucks plus shipping.

2003 Redfire V6,

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
same, thats also what scares me with some of the hood strut kits.

As i said im fabbing a set, trying to use a bracket that uses the existing hinge bolts on the hood, and then ill just have to drill 2 holes in the fender. If all goes well i can let you know and probly get 1 to you for like 20 bucks plus shipping.
Sweet!!!! Wish I was handier with fabbing things, but I can certainly install pretty much whatever with some instructions.

LLR00717
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

even installing the hood struts, you still want the rad cover. you can take the rod off though, and they are great. the nxt set has aluminum brackets that you can color match to your car and use the holes and bolts from the hood hinge, and a fender bolt thats already there for the bottom bracket. they look good and work great.

installing hood pins is pretty easy too, and with a 2-3" scuff plate theres lot of room for error and still be good. the rad cover does need top be cut a little for the brackets i used, not a big deal. heres a couple links to both those parts

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tml?highlight=

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tml?highlight=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hood pin bracket cutout2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	140036   Click image for larger version

Name:	under hood goodies.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	140037  

05 V6 auto,
MACH I Member
V6 Member

yeah just realized OP has an 05-09 so i dont think id be able to fab the bracket without having the hood right there, as i have an 03.

And hood pins do offer alot of room for error, but i cant find a set thats actually functional and black. I hate the stick ones, and dont know that painting aluminum ones would work, and cant justify the $50-$100 powercoating quotes ive been given.

2003 Redfire V6,

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
yeah just realized OP has an 05-09 so i dont think id be able to fab the bracket without having the hood right there, as i have an 03.

And hood pins do offer alot of room for error, but i cant find a set thats actually functional and black. I hate the stick ones, and dont know that painting aluminum ones would work, and cant justify the $50-$100 powercoating quotes ive been given.
am had(s) some black shelby alum hood pins. not cheap though, for the 05-09 and not sure if they were for your year also. i wanted the old school stainless and chrome, though mine are shelbys they were around $65 instead of $100+. again those wont work either for the model you have.

05 V6 auto,
MACH I Member
V6 Member

yeah, ive seen the shelbies, but all the fab work involved to make them possibly work plus the price tag...

The ford racing ones are like 35 or 40 bucks, if i can just paint em with some engine enamel or automotive enamel after a nice wet sanding then ill do that. Gotta figure out if it will work.

2003 Redfire V6,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page