05 V6 5sp: rattling in first and reverse and need to add AC - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

05 V6 5sp: rattling in first and reverse and need to add AC

I recently bought a 2005 V6 5 speed for my soon to be licensed teen driver. This is certainly a fixer-upper with a few issues:

1. When driving in first or reverse the front end of the car rattles and shakes as if it were in too high of a gear for that low of speed.

2. At one time a previous owner had taken out the v6 to put in a larger motor. It now has the V6 back in it, but when they put in the larger engine, they took out the factory AC. I live in the heart of West Texas where heat is an issue so I need to get AC put back in. How hard would it be to put an AC system back in and about how much would it set me back money wise?

3.Previous owner had also put in a "4:11" shifting system. When driving, I noticed the speedometer is extreme off. I can take the speedometer up to 90 and get passed on the road by cars traveling 65. Is there an easy and inexpensive way to calibrate the speedometer?

Once my daughter starts driving, I may need advise on putting in a governor as well to hold down her speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
the car has a stock governor somewhere around 115, to reset the speedo you need either a calibrator which is around 100 or a tuner, around 380, to govern lower you will need a custom tune, as well as to remove the governor and add many other things.

As for the AC probably upwards of 1 grand if someone else installs, and probably a bit of a complex job, unless its is just blocked off at the moment.

Also the previouse owner may have added rear end gears, which could have been installed wrong and grinding, this also could be what they called the Shifting System, and what offset the speed, if that is the case returning the gears to stock will fix both the speedometer and the rear end noise.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the information. If I wanted to change the shifting system back to stock, what do I need to be looking for? Of course I do not have the equipment at home to do this myself and would take it in to have it doe, but I want to educate myself on this as well so I can research the cost before I go in.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to We're Wolf
I got a ford cia and tuner and their tuner can adjust for 4.11 and other gears. also if you have different rims can cause off on the speedo.
Also if it had a different motor i would check to see if if has a stock 7.5 rear end or the 8.8 gt rear end ( commonly people change the rear end because the 8.8 is rated for higher power/torque )
i only say that because if your looking for factory gears make sure you get the right ones.
the govern like someone said has been set at 115. although i bet you could limit it even more with a tuner
( the factory tuner i got can't change the govern i don't think )
since i have had my car for about a year i had to change the alternator and it seems like a fairly common issue to most people.
Good Luck and lets see some pics of the car

The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member

as stated above check the rear axle size, if 8.8 your going to HAVE to get a tuner or calibrator to set up the speedo, since that wasnt stock, if its the 7.5 then you would have to buy the original 2.73 gears, i believe thats them, and the install would need to be done professionally.

However again it could be gears is what he meant by "Shifting System" but it may also be a shift kit, is the car an auto? If so a shift kit is a possability, which would mean that the valve body would have to be replaced, making it more worthwile to buy an SCT tuner from American Muscle and tune it for the kit.

I would recommend an SCT tuner anyway as they make diagnose easier, and allow alot of tweaking.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

I did read about the 8.8 verse 7.5, newby question however: how do I measure that? I know the rear wheel are even with the front tires, we have stock 17 inch mustang rims and it is a 5 speed standard.

Under the engine compartment, it looks like alot of the dress-up parts are there such as the breather. I can see where the vacuum hose on the canister on the firewall on drive side that was part of the ac system had been cut, the hose connector on the firewall on passenger side that looks like it connected to the accumulator is still there and has some vacuum coming from it.

At this time I am not too concerned with reducing the speed of the car, just getting it as close as I can back to stock for my kiddo and to ensure it is in good working condition, so my first priorities are getting the gears done (rattling) and the ac put back in. I was told it had a 4:10 shifting system in it and I can tell you have to give it more gas at startup from a stop in 1st or reverse to avoid the rattlng and shaking.

It was suggested by one person to junk the car and get her something else but she feel in love with this little car and I traded an old truck for it, so I was really not out any money for it...just want to fix it to be safe
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011
MACH I Member
V6 Member

alright, sounds like the gears, for sure since its a stick, were installed incorrectly. I would suggest a set of 3.73 if you want some performance, or the stock 2,73 or 3.55 ratio, proably the 2.73 as long as it is a 7.5. The 2.73 gears will set the speedo correctly once installed, and will need to be done professionally, as will any gear, and run around 700 total. You may also want to invest in a traction lock if there isnt one already. If you want a bit more performance get the 3.73s but you will need a retune to set the odometer back

Thus the 2.73 gears on the stock 7.5 rear will be your best bet. Also will be able to stay in 1st a bit longer, as the 4.10s basically dont have a first it hits 5k rpm or so after letting of the clutch. You can always just start in 2nd and see if the issue persists, but if the gears wernt properly installed they will eventually fail.

I do NOT know how to tell the difference,between 7.5 and 8.8, unfortunately.

As for the AC you will want to look inside the dash to see if the components are there, If everything is in the dash that needs to be there, and all the components are in the engine comparment you probably just need to put hoses and frion,

Unfortunatly im not very knowledgable on the AC system.

2003 Redfire V6,

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011
PONY Member

The stock gears for your car would be 3.23's, not 2.73's. Derfdog has a different series mustang. That's why he's saying 2.73 is stock.

K&N CAI, Diablo Pgmr, Pypes cat back X pipes w/GT mufflers, Rousch Extreme springs, Koni St.R Struts and Shocks, 2010 SVT 18X9 1/2 wheels with Hankock 255/45-18 tires. CDC Chin Spoiler, GT500 Rear spoiler, Eleanore grill, CDC Light Bar,Carbon Fiber dash inserts, 2011 GT Premium leather seats, , Pioneer stereo with Bluetooth and DVD, Upgraded 3 way speakers.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

the stock gear is a 3.31. there should be a tag on the rear end cover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1078.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	140249  

05 V6 auto,
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the information everyone. In looking at the differential if appears to be flat on bottom and bottom and round on the sides. From what I have read, this should be an indication of a 7.5. I have seen gear kits for under $250, so now I just need to find someone to do the work for me.

I have pulled the glove box and everything appears to be there. I was even able to locate a disconnected vacuum hose which was the cause of the air blow from the defrost vent but not anywhere else. I am trying to check under the hood to see if any of the AC components are still there but my question is, was the compressor located on the passenger side on top by the battery?

Sorry but just have not had a chance to pick up a manual on this car so I do not have access to an engine layout diagram

Last edited by Coach_Jackson; 09-29-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forgot a sentence
MACH I Member
V6 Member

sorry for my mistake on the gears, also i believe the condenser is on the passenger side, from what i have seen of the 4.0 at school, on a friends sport trac, and at the junkyard.

2003 Redfire V6,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page