V6 Member
S197 Member

And the 8.8 rear end is from new takeoff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Open differentials are odd.. I had one for a long time and it would spin both wheels in the snow. However, if you're STUCK, then it's not going to be like that

I recommend doing it, overall it makes the car much more predictable, and therefore safer. Especially if you have a manual transmission.

Rookie

Thumbs up Go for the 8.8

The spider gears gave up on my 06 about 4 weeks ago. I was going to rebuild it but I couldn't find a tlok for the 7.5 axle. I found a new take off on ebay for just a little more than rebuilding. You can get a new take off 8.8 with a t-lok and 331's for $800 delivered.

I got one with 373's for about $350 more (it's a take off from a 2012 Boss 302). It's really made the car a lot more fun to drive and I don't have to worry about getting the gears installed correctly. I did need a cobra flange that was mentioned earlier in this thread and I also got an upper control arm bushing ($20) since this doesn't come on the take offs. Not sure why that is, liability perhaps?

If you want to go this route, this guide was invaluable: 8.8 Rear End Swap - The Mustang Collective Forums

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminton618 View Post
I understand that limited slip/t lok/lockers basically distribute power to both wheels. One of my biggest concerns is winter driving. I live in an area that is prone to "wintry mix" which means sleet that freezes over during the night and you drive on ice and slush for days. While I plan on adding some performance parts down the road to make my car quick, I won't be taking it to the drags. My biggest concern is keeping my car on the road an out of ditches in bad weather.

I have also heard that adding a t lok or posi trac can also make it harder to steer around corners and in inclimate weather. Is this true? It just seems strange to me that the bigger and better models of the Mustang comes with something making it harder to drive in those conditions. Mind you, I'm a car guy in the making, so I'm sure there are simple concepts that I've yet to come across that would make this easier to comprehend. Any help? Also thanks again
A locker rear end makes it more difficult to turn because the locker doesn't let the inside wheel in a turn move at a different speed. The tlok/posi-trac set up isn't a locker rear end. It still has the spider gears so that the inside wheel turns faster in a turn so not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch43 View Post
I heard that the 8.8 rear end for the 2011 mustang is a perfect swap into the 2005-09 is that true? If it is I'm buying it ASAP
Yes, it is a direct swap, no changing of the pinion flange even.

2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thumbs up FR T-lock

Since you owned a rear-end shop I'm taking your advice & going with the FR t-lock over the Auburn Gear. Although its 2 years later I have found the t-lock some places still have them new in their inventory on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
The Auburn wears out quicker, it can not be rebuilt and it fills the rear end with powdered metal that runs through all of the bearings. When the Auburn wears out it is scrap metal. I replaced many of them in the 15 years that I owned a rear end shop and it required a complete rear end disassembly to clean out the housing and axle tubes, and replace all of the bearings. I installed a few new Auburns and some of them were completely worn out in 9 months or less. After a while I refused to install any more.

trustyrusty, the Mustang 8.8 rear end is the only one that will fit a Mustang. All of those other rear ends that you listed would be good for a few parts, but they will not fit the Mustang.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllw_06_base View Post
Since you owned a rear-end shop I'm taking your advice & going with the FR t-lock over the Auburn Gear. Although its 2 years later I have found the t-lock some places still have them new in their inventory on the web.
Can you give me a link to the places that have the FR t-lock? I've been looking for one but can't find one!
PONY Member

Have you checked ebay? They are on there some times. You can get a used one from a Ranger and put new clutches in it.

2002 Mustang 3.8L 5 speed 3.27 Trac Lock
2007 Mustang 4.0L 5 speed 3.31 Trac Lock -SOLD
Rookie

Quote:
Have you checked ebay? They are on there some times. You can get a used one from a Ranger and put new clutches in it.
Interesting, there's one on eBay right now that's supposedly reconditioned with 95% clutch life remaining for $200. Do you say to put new clutches in because a mustang needs different ones or just so that they're new and in good condition? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm still learning. Also, any major downside of using a Ranger one over a Ford Racing one or Auburn (this one I don't hear too many good things about)

Thanks!
PONY Member

The Ford Racing Trac Lock is the same as the regular production Trac Lock. The reason I recommended using new clutches is because they do wear, and many times a truck differential will wear the clutches quicker than a car. There is no difference between the Ranger T Lock and a Mustang T Lock. There are new clutches available in different materials, but I think the original material is fine in most cases.

Rookie

Quote:
The Ford Racing Trac Lock is the same as the regular production Trac Lock. The reason I recommended using new clutches is because they do wear, and many times a truck differential will wear the clutches quicker than a car. There is no difference between the Ranger T Lock and a Mustang T Lock. There are new clutches available in different materials, but I think the original material is fine in most cases.
Thanks for the response, great info. So this should work fine for my Mustang then right?
Ford 7 5 Posi LSD Locker Track Lock Mustang Ranger Cougar | eBay

I noticed the housing (term?) looks a little different than the pictures I've seen of the Ford Racing one but I'm assuming the internals are the same? Or is this just something different all together?
PONY Member

Yes, should work fine. He has a good rating too. You will not need the ABS ring on it. You can remove it. Your Mustang has the rings on the axles, not the differential. I would install new Timken bearings before using it. He might have already installed new bearings, but if he hasn't then you should do it.

Rookie

Quote:
Yes, should work fine. He has a good rating too. You will not need the ABS ring on it. You can remove it. Your Mustang has the rings on the axles, not the differential. I would install new Timken bearings before using it. He might have already installed new bearings, but if he hasn't then you should do it.
I think I might have ABS actually. I definitely do have traction control. Do you know if this would cause me to run into any problems?
PONY Member

Not a problem. Your rings are on the axles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page