V6 Mustang manual transmission problems - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

V6 Mustang manual transmission problems

Hi, we just bought our 05 V6 Mustang with a maunual transmission on Saturday 1-22. Already we have found several problems with the car. The first thing we noticed was a loud grinding and clunking noise from the clutch/transmission. The shift knob moves quite a bit while driving, which I have never noticed in any other car I've driven. When the car is in neutral with the clutch out, there is a loud whine noise. Second problem, the airbag light on the passenger seat randomly comes on even if there is a full size passenger in the seat. Third, the Shaker 500 system hates all our CD's, new or burned ones, and proceeds to give us "bad disc" messages even though the CD is in perfect condition. It skips frequently, and is generally quite annoying.

I had the car at our local Ford dealer last Friday, the had the car all day and had three techs working on it. No answer for the airbag light issue, and they have no idea what the noise is. They said they can definately hear something but don't know what it is or how to fix it. They finally called Ford Tech support and they said they've heard of other cars with the same problem, but said they had no fix for the problem.

This was the first time our small town Ford dealer had worked on a V6 manual, so they don't know if the noise is normal or not. I have an appointment with a large Ford dealer service department tomorrow and would greatly appreciate any input anyone here can provide. This is really irritating and taking away from what should be a great time bonding with the new car. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

AZ, the noise is probably normal. The manual trannies in our V6 mustangs are not refined, nor world-class, nor close to the better manuals of other makes. It makes all kinds of whirling noises, and is clunky, to be sure. Relax...this is normal. It is a bad design...I've driving many manuals from Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, and especially Honda, and VW, and those all were often more refined, and world-class. The one good thing about our V6 manual trannies is that the gear ratios are near perfect. I love my car and have no regrets, but it is what it is, and I knew this the day I bought it...Relax...I strongly suspect your car is fine. It has a louder then normal throw out bearing too, and the shift action is knotchy...all normal SADLY.

I miss the smooth silky sure footed action of the Honda and Acura manuals, and the BMW manual I once drive was a dream.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page