Towing with my V6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Towing with my V6

Yep, i know some will want to throw up, but i had to make a trip for my daughters wedding, and combine moving the little fishing boat at the same time being it was a 1,500 mile trip to where i am relocating. I installed a hidden hitch. The car towed great, smooth sailing even at 70+mph, couldnt really tell the trailer was back there. I did get some funny looks but oh well. This was the destination, East Grand Traverse Bay MI in Traverse City.

Being temporary, i did not mess with trailer lights (kit). i rigged the tail lights to the boat battery just for tail lights at night and got away with it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3287.JPG
Views:	1595
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	253353  

05 V6 auto,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013
Apprentice

That's B.A my friend. Haha love it

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013
PONY Member

Hah, don't feel bad. I installed a hidden hitch on my GT when moving across country. Pulled a 2000lb Uhaul trailor no problem. I also got a few funny looks, including one from a very amused GT500 driver and his passenger who leaned out of their window to get a picture.

To anyone who knocks it I would say, which would you prefer: installing a utilitarian hitch under your car that half the time you'll never even see, or selling your Mustang and buying a truck? I'd rather keep the car

2005 Sport-Utility Mustang Convertible

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

i have a old beater truck, but the stang is my only reliable vehicle that could make the trip. then after i used it for a tow truck, i drove it the 1500 m. back. so one trip/ one oil change. then i used it as a u haul trailer and filled it with stuff, only this time i towed the car on a trailer. this time was a little different and i had people saying "nice car".. now i have to take a bus from northern mich back to mo to get the old truck and hope it can make it 1500 miles back up here towing a old project boat.

installing the hitch was a trick. the worst part was taking off the pass muffler, fishing the bolts into the frames and reinstalling the muffler only to find out it rattled. removed the muffler again and did some grinding on the hitch side plate to clear the lip on the muffler. its good now and can barely be seen. i may or maynot take it off, but it weighs about 25 lbs. i might just leave it on so i can tow the little boat next year to go fishing.

bottom line is you gotta do what you gotta do
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-31 19.35.25.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	253905   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-31 18.06.42.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	253913   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-31 18.06.57.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	253921  

05 V6 auto,
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
fishing the bolts into the frames
Heh, yeah...that's something I never, ever, want to do again.

When I was putting mine on one of the carriage bolts absolutely refused to pass through. Then as I'm jiggling the hitch frame to try to get that perfect alignment it suddenly shifts an entire inch, shears off the wire lead I was using and drops the bolt inside the frame... An hour of sweating, cussing and pleading later I was able to finally fish it out, and I did manage to finally get everything in place. I then decided that the only way it was ever coming out was with an angle grinder :p

edit: ah, and I just noticed the deer heads in your pictures...that made me giggle uncontrollably

2005 Sport-Utility Mustang Convertible
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013
Rookie

Does it have a 2" hole or 1 1/4"? Sometimes I would like to put the bike rack on my mustang. I had soooo much trouble getting all the pipes and mufflers aligned so nothing would rattle the first time around, so if it was that much of a pain maybe not.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinkmi View Post
Does it have a 2" hole or 1 1/4"? Sometimes I would like to put the bike rack on my mustang. I had soooo much trouble getting all the pipes and mufflers aligned so nothing would rattle the first time around, so if it was that much of a pain maybe not.
its a 1 1/4 receiver. ya, the muffler was the pain part of the job. and then it rattled on the side plate so i had to remove it again. and the fact that my mustang had been hit in the rear before i got it and the holes in the frame were not perfect any more on one side. i had a really hard time trying to fish the bolts into place on that side but i finally got it.

taping a magnet on the end of some weed eater line would work good for fishing a loose bolt or washer out of the frame back to the hole you have to go in through. that hole is a foot back of where they come through the frame for the hitch. they give you wires with a spring bent in the end that you fish through the bolt hole in the fram to the 1 in hole a foot back. i put a bend in the end of the wire so it would stay put while threading on the bolt, then you pull the bolt through the bottom hole and up inside the frame and out the side holes through the hitch plate. it works really well to tell the truth. it was a crazy but good idea.

05 V6 auto,
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013
GT Member

Mustang; - 101 uses ...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
Mustang; - 101 uses ...
hehe, sometimes you just have to improvise

05 V6 auto,
Rookie

Towing a 5x8 Enclosed Trailer

I am looking into the possibility of towing my 5x8 enclosed trailer with my 2015 GT. I found a hitch receiver from Curt that will fit and has specs of:
Maximum gross trailer weight: 2,000 lbs
Maximum tongue weight: 200 lbs

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201532354

My trailer specs are:
Payload capacity: 2,217 lbs
Tongue weight: 115 lbs

So it seems like the numbers are about right. However, I am concerned about the strain it might put on my transmission, or any other possible issues. Has anyone done something like this, or have any advice?

Thanks!
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
back in the day (late 60's early 70's) when I was younger MOM/POP had a '65 coupe. 289 2V It had a hitch and we too had a boat.
We drove to Wisconsin every summer (boat in tow) no one laffed at us back then But back then that was the norm .

So I say let them laff who cares you need to do what you need to do with what you have

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
PONY Member

Mustang looks good pulling a boat. I see nothing odd here. Brings back
some old memories, though.....

It's 1980. Two camaro Z/28's, a formula firebird, two corvettes and a
black Trans Am T/A 6.6 driving through the Rockies playing Nascar.
Passing cars at speed while keeping nose to tail of the car in front of
you. All the way from Alberta to British Columbia.

Of course, we got pulled over and ticketed. At the time I was outraged.
Now I just feel like I was stupid and lucky.

Oh, yeah...the T/A was pulling a Glastron 18' ski boat powered by a
260 hp 350 cu.in. Chevy Merc I/O and jammed full with a hundred
cases of American Miller Beer during a Canadian beer strike.

It's humbling thinking back on how youth and maleness could so
often combine and yield a complete jacka.ss. Thank God those days
are safely behind.

All the best.

PS If anyone reading this remembers being passed I wish you a late but hearty apology.

2014 Gray Mustang

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page