2007 V6, curious about DIY mods - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Any Suggestions? 2007 V6, curious about DIY mods

I seen alot of interesting things on the forums but don't have time to really look at everything. I'm starting to do things on my own because shops are way to expensive. And I was curious about mods I can do both outside and under the hood. I plan on getting a K&N CAI, A Flowmaster, and investing in some Bama Tunes. My Mustang is all black with white trim on the bottom so I was thinking of painting rims flat black. I'm on a budget but am still interested in things I can do over time. I would appreciate to hear from you all that are much more experienced then my self. =)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014
PONY Member

2007 V6, curious about DIY mods

I painted my wheels flat black. It was really easy. I got the paint and matte finish clear coat from Duplicolor and went to town. It was pretty cheap to do, I think it was less than $50 to do all four wheels. It took 2 cans of black paint and 2 cans of matte clear coat. It took about 3 hours a wheel. Taping the machined metal parts off was the hardest part.

Before:

After:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

BBK CAI, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers,SLP Hi-Flow Cats, Pypes X pipe and Violators, Shaftmaster's 3.5" DS, 4.10's w/ T-Lok, 93 R tune by BAMA, Diablosport Trinity Tuner, PATC 3000 RPM Stall Converter, Zex Nitrous 100 shot
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

I seen a few things about plasti dip. It's looked pretty nice even on my stock rims so I think I'm gonna give it a try.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwellmurder View Post
I painted my wheels flat black. It was really easy. I got the paint and matte finish clear coat from Duplicolor and went to town. It was pretty cheap to do, I think it was less than $50 to do all four wheels. It took 2 cans of black paint and 2 cans of matte clear coat. It took about 3 hours a wheel. Taping the machined metal parts off was the hardest part.

That looks bad ass! Thanks for the ideas.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014
PONY Member

2007 V6, curious about DIY mods

You could also plasti dip your deck lid, tint your tail lights, tint your marker lights, or swap grilles. There is a lot of stuff you can do yourself to give your car character. If I had a black car I'd try plasti dipping the wheels white. Really give it some contrast.

BBK CAI, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers,SLP Hi-Flow Cats, Pypes X pipe and Violators, Shaftmaster's 3.5" DS, 4.10's w/ T-Lok, 93 R tune by BAMA, Diablosport Trinity Tuner, PATC 3000 RPM Stall Converter, Zex Nitrous 100 shot
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah I never even heard of plasti dip till I looked at these forums! I'm thinking of putting some red racing strips down the middle. It's a lot cheaper then getting it done at a shop. How much plasti dip do you think it would take?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrighthen View Post
I seen alot of interesting things on the forums but don't have time to really look at everything. I'm starting to do things on my own because shops are way to expensive. And I was curious about mods I can do both outside and under the hood. I plan on getting a K&N CAI, A Flowmaster, and investing in some Bama Tunes. My Mustang is all black with white trim on the bottom so I was thinking of painting rims flat black. I'm on a budget but am still interested in things I can do over time. I would appreciate to hear from you all that are much more experienced then my self. =)
Looks like you're off to a good starting list of bolt-on mods! If you're looking for more easy to install power modifications, a BBK 70mm Throttle body is a good option to increase throttle response and power throughout the RPM range. Plus it's extremely easy to install of you're already changing the air intake.

There's also lots of exterior mods you can go with. What exactly would you like to improve? I can give you suggestions depending on what your interested in!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Looks like you're off to a good starting list of bolt-on mods! If you're looking for more easy to install power modifications, a BBK 70mm Throttle body is a good option to increase throttle response and power throughout the RPM range. Plus it's extremely easy to install of you're already changing the air intake.

There's also lots of exterior mods you can go with. What exactly would you like to improve? I can give you suggestions depending on what your interested in!

Shane
I was thinking of a throttle body spacer for now rather then a new throttle body because of my budget. I'm still new to mods and what not and I'm learning as I go along, would you recommend this throttle body over some Bama tunes?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
I was thinking of a throttle body spacer for now rather then a new throttle body because of my budget. I'm still new to mods and what not and I'm learning as I go along, would you recommend this throttle body over some Bama tunes?
No. Save up some money. Put the money into a tuner and a cai combo that requires a tune, not the K&N (forget the spacer too)

05 V6 auto,
Apprentice

Colored spark plug wires are around $60 and ad some flash to your engine compartment. Easy install too.

2011 V6 3.7L
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
No. Save up some money. Put the money into a tuner and a cai combo that requires a tune, not the K&N (forget the spacer too)
Is there really that big of a difference between a CAI without a tune and one that requires one? Is it worth the extra $300?

Last edited by Alrighthen; 02-17-2014 at 01:10 AM. Reason: wrong word
PONY Member

Some guys have said that they were just as fast with the stock air box and a tune. It's all in how you want to spend your money. At least get the tuner and you'll be surprised at how much more power you'll feel from your car.

Site Sponsor

Quote:
No, I think you nailed it the first time. A CAI and Bama tuner would be the first two mods I recommend for more power. They're easily the best bang for the buck together. K&N makes a decent CAI, but I prefer Airaid, JLT, or Steeda personally. Those three manufacturers make the highest quality and most power CAI's on the market today. You can't go wrong with any of them!

If you plan to add a throttle body shortly down the road, than forget about the TB spacer. You'll see better results with the aftermarket throttle body.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help clarify!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Rookie

CAI + Tuner is a must and door lining might be a quick and easy mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page