Gear question, where to look, & [OT] Shaker question. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006 Thread Starter

Gear question, where to look, & [OT] Shaker question.

Hey guys, I am trying to find a tag or plate or sticker on my V6 for 7.5 or 8.8. Patt from Steeda wants me to let him know what it says on my rear end so he can tell me if he has the 4.10s I am wanitng. This is what he said to me.

"I will need you to check the tag on the differential cover. You're looking for 7.5 or 8.8 on the tag"

I may be looking in the wrong spot but I don't see a tag. Any help would be great, thanks, also what do these numbers mean?

One more oddball question, and I have searched the forums but I have not found anything on this. Can you upgrade the shaker 500 to the shaker 1000 after you have the car in hand, or are you stuck with what you have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
GT rearends are 8.8". V6s are 7.5"

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarChyldd
Hey guys, I am trying to find a tag or plate or sticker on my V6 for 7.5 or 8.8. Patt from Steeda wants me to let him know what it says on my rear end so he can tell me if he has the 4.10s I am wanitng. This is what he said to me.

"I will need you to check the tag on the differential cover. You're looking for 7.5 or 8.8 on the tag"

I may be looking in the wrong spot but I don't see a tag. Any help would be great, thanks, also what do these numbers mean?

One more oddball question, and I have searched the forums but I have not found anything on this. Can you upgrade the shaker 500 to the shaker 1000 after you have the car in hand, or are you stuck with what you have?
Personally I don't think it would be worth it... I had the Shaker 1000 and I thought it sounded pretty good... until I switched it for Pioneer head unit. WOW!! What a difference! The Pioneer sounded so much better! So if you looking to upgrade I would look at aftermarket stuff!

John - The V6 Apologist

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - BBK Shorties - MRT Axle Back - FRPP 3.55

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Audio

I agree about the aftermarket head unit. Ditch the factory stuff. I used to be a quality control inspector for Circuit City. All I did all day was test amps, speakers, and head units that customers had returned and who alleged were "defective". Most of the time the products were fine but they just wanted to make up an excuse so CC would take it back. Anyway, I tested many different brands and did side to side comparisons in "free time". Alpine is above and beyond the best bang for your buck, especially head units and speakers. I replaced mine with an alpine with mp3 and an ipod jack. The sound quality is excellent and there are alot of sound adjustments you can make with alpines. Not to mention it looks a lot better than the factory radio, especially at night.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006 Thread Starter

Thanks guys, however I am still wanting to know if it is possible to change the 500 to a 1000, regardless if the aftermarket option sounds better and we all know it does. Thanks guys!

Also, in response to 'stlwagon', is there any possibility the gearing size could be 8.8 on a V6, or are ALL of them regardless going to be the 7.5?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to Hoodlum
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarChyldd
Thanks guys, however I am still wanting to know if it is possible to change the 500 to a 1000, regardless if the aftermarket option sounds better and we all know it does. Thanks guys!

Also, in response to 'stlwagon', is there any possibility the gearing size could be 8.8 on a V6, or are ALL of them regardless going to be the 7.5?
The only time a v6 rearend will be 8.8 is if it is put on as aftermarket. Cost is about $1000, shelby sells a 8.8 rearend. All v6's are 7.5.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum
The only time a v6 rearend will be 8.8 is if it is put on as aftermarket. Cost is about $1000, shelby sells a 8.8 rearend. All v6's are 7.5.
And if I were going to do that, I'd go with the Ford 9.0 which is virtually indestructable. 7.5" is fine unless you do some extreme power adding.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

You can upgrade from the 500 to the 1000, but it will cost a pretty penny.

First you have to buy the factory wiring harness from Ford, as well as getting the factory subs from e-bay or something.

Then you have to take your car to a stero shop that will rip apart your door panels and install the wiring harness.

With all the labor costs and the costs of the harness, it is almost a better deal to just get an aftermarket.

-Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page