2007 V6 Wrench Light in Snow Ideas? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2007 V6 Wrench Light in Snow Ideas?

Hi all,

Here is what I have, and here is what I've done.

I have a 2007 V6, 64,000 miles. For the last two winters I've gotten the wrench light consistently when it snows. Sometimes I get a check engine light that has a generic "cannot calculate torque" code. The first winter I took it to the shop and they recommended replacing the airbox which I did to.

This winter, as the problem occurred more frequently, I went ahead and replaced the throttle position sensor as i hear that is a common failure point which will cause this. The problem still exists.

Yesterday I took apart the airbox and intake, to the MAF sensor. I found the air filter folded over in one corner of the airbox. I suspect this was letting snow get through the filter, and was affecting the MAF air reading, leading to the wrench and/or Check Engine light. I fixed the air filter problem.

My question is, should I be proactive to replace the MAF as well, or should I leave it alone. Would snow/water buildup on the outside of the sensor cause long term damage?

Has anyone dealt with this problem before (I understand its quite common) and found a resolution?

Thanks.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hi all,

Here is what I've done:
1) Replace TPS, did not solve problem
2) Replaced air filter, which was ripped along the frame and some of the filter element was ripped too.
3) Replaced MAF as a preventive step.

I've had no problems, probably just because it hasn't snowed yet. So I'm not 100% sure but I feel the main culprit was the air filter, allowing water/snow to build up on the sensors and mess up the readings. So new sensors and new filter, hopefully we'll be good. Spring driving has been problem-free, and we're taking the Stang out for a one-week, 2,500 mile trip here soon......

Any advice still appreciated, thanks!

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page