Cleaning mass air flow sensor on 2010 v6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Smile Cleaning mass air flow sensor on 2010 v6

My V6 Mustang has 40k on the clock and recently the gas mileage starting going south. Also idle was getting a little rough and acceleration wasn't what it used to be. Saw a video on cleaning the MAF sensor and wanted to share my experience doing this. I picked up a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner at my local PEP Boys for 8 bucks. I read that when taking out the MAF to clean it that the two torx screws are know to break or strip, I found that it was easiest to just remove the top of the air cleaner box by disconnecting the tube attached to it that runs to it from the throttle body. The sensor can be cleaned while still attached. You can see wires and a red diode looking thing in there. Just spray the MAF cleaner with the little straw attached to can. I used prolly 10 shots or so of spray. The MAF sensor was quite dirty and he cleaner got the wires nice and clean. Also took lose air duct at throttle body and cleaned the throttle body butterfly. It had lots of yellow crud (no doubt pollen) and dirt. Let the MAF sensor and throttle body dry for half hour and put all back together and cranked it up. Ran rough for like a second or so then smoothed out nicely. What a difference this made in gas mileage, idling and pickup. This is a very simple maint procedure that prolly should be done every air filer change or clean. At least once a year I would think. Do not clean it without disconnecting the wires from it and only use MAF cleaner made specifically for this task as using regular carb cleaner of the like May damage the MAF which is a 200 dollar replacement then. Hope this helps and questions or comments welcomed.

2010 V6 Convertible, Grabber Blue, Premium Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Good post, I've been thinking about doing this. My idle gets flaky now and again, and mileage is a bit lower than it should be..

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by az.dsrt View Post
Good post, I've been thinking about doing this. My idle gets flaky now and again, and mileage is a bit lower than it should be..
My pleasure. I found it was a lot easier to just remove the filter box housing and clean the MAF sensor while it is still attached. Just be real careful not to let anything touch the wires or anything inside the MAF sensor and let it dry good before plugging it back in and starting your car. I have heard that sometimes doing this will cause a code and the check engine light will come on. If this happens you can either clear the code if you have an OBD tool or just drive it a few times and the computer will take care of it. It's amazing how dirty these things get and it don't take much dirt to throw the sensor off and give false readings. Good luck!!!

2010 V6 Convertible, Grabber Blue, Premium Package

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014
Rookie

wow thanks for the post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page