LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to camargo Send a message via MSN to camargo
K&N 63 Series Aircharger

Howdy Mustang fans,

I had a question about a K&N intake kit. I'm interested in purchasing the intake shown here on the K&N website, however it states here that the intake isn't legal in California (where I live).

Does anyone think that's much of a problem? I'm assuming the only way to attract attention to it would be to do something stupid in front of a police officer... And do you think it would affect the car's ability to pass smog inspection?

Just curious. I don't want to pay money for something I'm just going to have to take off later...

Cheers!

2006 Mustang V6 :: Performance White :: Tan Interior :: Black Racing Stripes :: Shaker 500 Audio :: Pioneer AVIC-D3 Navigation :: MRT Single Axle-Back Exhaust :: GT Grill with Foglights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camargo
Howdy Mustang fans,

I had a question about a K&N intake kit. I'm interested in purchasing the intake shown here on the K&N website, however it states here that the intake isn't legal in California (where I live).

Does anyone think that's much of a problem? I'm assuming the only way to attract attention to it would be to do something stupid in front of a police officer... And do you think it would affect the car's ability to pass smog inspection?

Just curious. I don't want to pay money for something I'm just going to have to take off later...

Cheers!

Hey Chris,
The guys I have spoke to haven't had a problem with smog. However, if it did fail it would be a visual inspection failure. Which means you'd need to find a place that wound'nt fail you over a CAI.
Worse thing is that you'd have to reinsatll he stock box for the inspection then swap it again.
Anyone know any different please correct me.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

I just recently had to get a smog check here in Cali since I brought my car from Hawaii. I went to one shop who told me they wouldn't pass me because of the CAI after that I drove over to another shop and they passed me without any problems. Just take it to any smog shop as most of them will do a visual first and if they want to fail you for having the K&N they'll tell you before hand so it won't cost you a dime. Worst comes to worst the intake only takes about 1/2 hour to install. Don't worry about cops as there's no way for them to know if you have a CAI. When was the last time you heard of a cop pulling someone over and asking them to pop the hood. Think of it this way how many rice rockets are running around with cai? Alot so I'm sure you'll be fine.

MODS: C&L Racer CAI,SCT Xcal II W/BamaChips Tune, Steeda UDP's, CMCV Deletes, Ultra Lite Springs, Pypes O/R H-Pipe, FRRP Stingers, 4.10 Gears, Shaftmaster 3.5" D/S, Rotorpros X Drilled/Slotted Rotors, BMR LCA's & Relo Brackets, Steeda Adj. Panhard & Panhard support, GMS Swaybar Delete & A-Arm Brace, Prothane Motor Mounts, 255/45/18 BF Goodrich KDW NT's, CDC Shaker Hood, Ducktail Spoiler, Classic Chin Spoiler, 1/4 Louvers and Lot's more Appearance Mods.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to camargo Send a message via MSN to camargo
Okay,

That seems to put my worries at rest for a little bit! Thanks guys. I think this'll be my next add-on.

vrrrooOOOOOM!

2006 Mustang V6 :: Performance White :: Tan Interior :: Black Racing Stripes :: Shaker 500 Audio :: Pioneer AVIC-D3 Navigation :: MRT Single Axle-Back Exhaust :: GT Grill with Foglights
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

K&n

The 57-2566 is CARB approved. It's pretty much the same, but is black plastic instead.

2005 Windveil Blue V-6, Man. Trans, GT Dual exh. and mufflers, FRPP X-pipe, JBA shorty headers, CA Spec X-Charger 3.0, XXtuning tune, throttle body coolant bypass, 180 F thermostat, Moss Mustang Oil Cooler, GT 18" Fanblades, SSI Ducktail Spoiler, CDC chin spoiler, FRPP strut tower brace, FRPP lowering springs, FRPP struts and shocks, GT front and rear sway bars, GT front brakes, GT 8.8" rearend, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, Stewart Warner boost gauge in Roush vent pod. 275 rwhp, 294 rwtq.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

if your car is "new" you shouldnt have to have it smogged for at least three years,by then you should know who will and wont smog it form other mustangers you hang around with. Besides it only takes an hour to change it back.
California is way over the top on smog,,,thats why I left...among other things
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmy
if your car is "new" you shouldnt have to have it smogged for at least three years,by then you should know who will and wont smog it form other mustangers you hang around with. Besides it only takes an hour to change it back.
California is way over the top on smog,,,thats why I left...among other things

AND YOU WENT TO IDAHO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page