Questions on Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back Exhaust (2006 V6 Pony Package) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Questions on Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back Exhaust (2006 V6 Pony Package)

Hi, I'm trying to do decide on whether or not to buy the Flowmaster "American Thunder" Axle-Back Exhaust for my 2006 V6 Pony Package Mustang. My main concern is whether anyone who owns one has experienced noticeable, annoying or high levels of drone. I love my Mustang and want it to have that nice, gritty sound, but not at the expense of my hearing and overall sanity. Any information from real owners concerning the product would be greatly appreciated. I just don't trust the reviews on American Muscle (Everyone seems too happy to worship the company and everything they sell.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante-5150 View Post
Hi, I'm trying to do decide on whether or not to buy the Flowmaster "American Thunder" Axle-Back Exhaust for my 2006 V6 Pony Package Mustang. My main concern is whether anyone who owns one has experienced noticeable, annoying or high levels of drone. I love my Mustang and want it to have that nice, gritty sound, but not at the expense of my hearing and overall sanity. Any information from real owners concerning the product would be greatly appreciated. I just don't trust the reviews on American Muscle (Everyone seems too happy to worship the company and everything they sell.)
Dante,

That's a good question. Flowmaster makes a solid system that's so liveable I installed one on my 63 year old mothers Convertible and she still raves about it. We'll post both positive and negative reviews on out website, we're not biased! My best recommendation would be try to locate someone in your area that has one and get a ride! Let me know if there's anything else I can help out with in the meantime!

Alex

Alex Lazarus | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 1-866-363-4591 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Alex, I appreciate the advice but finding someone is out of the question for a number of reasons. Also, I didn't mean any offense by my comment about AM, it's just that I try to be very cautious about things, especially purchases.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
PONY Member

I had the single on my 2006 Pony convertible. Sounded great outside the car - but when I went to the 3.73 gears it was way too loud on the highway and even though a single it droned. Couldn't hear the radio or carry on a conversation with a passenger. Before changing gears it was fine and had the best sound I thought. (although it did set off alarms as I passed some cars in the parking garage at times).

2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I know this doesn't answer your question, but throw an OEM GT muffler on it. Rumble at idle, roar at WOT and very quiet at hiway speed, no drone..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014
PONY Member

+1 on stock GT muffler; they sound good, but are mild and not loud.

However, I have dual american thunders on my v6 and I really like the sound. Not too loud, but it might be to someone who want something a little quieter.

Mike -- 2005 "The Beast" (Formerly a V6, now a forged/stroked 5.0L V8 sportn' a Kenne Bell 2.6L @18psi, and many mods
2006 4.0L w/Powerhouse turbo and TR-6060 :kooky:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Actually, the GT muffler sounds like a better idea in general. Do either of you guys (or anyone else) know for sure if a 2006 GT muffler fits a V6?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante-5150 View Post
Actually, the GT muffler sounds like a better idea in general. Do either of you guys (or anyone else) know for sure if a 2006 GT muffler fits a V6?
Yep, direct replacement..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014
Rookie

Yup i did the manual GT swap last night, i like it so far, a tiny bit louder in the cab but not bad at all, rumbley at idle/low rpm a little poppy at decel(which i love) and a little rasp at acceleration
Rookie

Take a look at these. Low mellow tone except at WOT. There are sound clips also. I even run one of these on my 4.0 Jeep and it sounds great. There's a flap that forces the exhaust through the muffler except at WOT then it's straight through.

DynoMax® VT® Mufflers - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust

2007 Pony - Just getting started on this one.
PONY Member
2.3L Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I got dual GT take off mufflers on my car, its quiet on the highway and a little growl at throttle. ive had em a few years now so it sounds too quiet to me, but its no V8 so I don't want to make it annoyingly loud...

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe 4.0 5 Speed: Daily Driver

1988 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 5 Speed: Winter Beater

1993 Ford Mustang LX 2.3 to 5.0 5 Speed Swap: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page