Thinking about buying a high mileage 2005 Mustang. What should I look for? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thinking about buying a high mileage 2005 Mustang. What should I look for?

Hello,
I'm thinking about buying a v6 mustang as my daily driver. I saw this one on Craigslist 2005 It's an automatic tranny with 135,000 miles. The guy's teenage son currently drives the car... I don't know anything about these cars or their reliability. I've heard that the tranny can have problems around 150,000 miles, which is somewhat a concern. Are there any common problems with these cars that I should be aware of, and what should I look for on a car like this? Or should I completely pass and look for a different one?

I'd like to have something reliable that won't require me working on it all the time. How do these cars do?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

I'm subscribing to my own thread. Thanks for any help!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014
PONY Member

That many miles with a teenager behind the wheel, not good!!!
I'd carefully look over the maintenance records which they should have, and if none are available, walk away.
If the trans was not maintained properly, it's already probably starting to slip or needs fluid changing.

I dont know what price they are asking nor details as I didn't look at the add.
But that mileage is getting a little high for a long-term reliable vehicle, although they are really good engines and will last over 200k if properly maintained.

Mike -- 2005 "The Beast" (Formerly a V6, now a forged/stroked 5.0L V8 sportn' a Kenne Bell 2.6L @18psi, and many mods
2006 4.0L w/Powerhouse turbo and TR-6060 :kooky:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014
PONY Member
Classic Member

You didn't mention the price which is pretty important. With that kind of mileage, maintenance records are pretty important. If nothing has been done to the transmission, I'd walk away. A drain and refill would help but a flush is likely to cause more problems than it prevents. The 4.0L engine can handle many more miles assuming it's been well maintained.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

^what they said. If you don't have a history of upkeep, it's a dangerous road. Remember that you get what you pay for most of the time. Mine has 128k and runs just fine, but maintenance is very important.

2006 Mustang V6 Pony Package Vista Blue with a 5-speed (Michele)
Go: BBK 70mm throttle body, BBK CAI, single custom exhaust (maxflow muffler) with polished 4" tip, SCT Tuner w/ 91 RT, SR TB Spacer, Custom made cold air bucket, Spec Stage II Clutch and SF66A Flywheel
Show: White rocker stripes, Kaenen Mach 1 Style hood, painted underhood parts/covers, Muffler tip, white stripes after heat reduction ports.
Own but not insalled- Polished Shorty Headers
Future-looking for 2007-08 F150
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014
Apprentice

Posting a comment in your own thread to subscribe to it? That's a new one. Bottom left on the page there is a link to "Subscribe to this thread" that you can use to subscribe on other threads that you have not commented on yet. Check your settings as I think by default you are subscribed to any thread you comment on. But you definitely do not need to post that you are subscribing to your own thread.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Tranny problems are not just at 150k+. My transmission issues started early around 55k, but didn't progress to the point that I had to repair it until around 80k. Remember, it was a teenager behind the wheel. I took proper care with my car and ended up with problems early. I know many mustang guys with the same issues. The 5R55S tranny has always been problematic.

4.5L Stroker Kit, SSM Custom cams, Wiseco forged pistons, ARP 2000 head studs, Mac Long Tube Headers, FRPP Oil Cooling System, 4.10 Gears, K&N Performance Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, 39lb Ford Racing Fuel Injectors, MAC Performance Pro Chamber, 2.25" dual straight pipes, 4" chrome tips, DynoMax Super Turbo Mufflers, 4" Aluminum Driveshaft, Eleanor Hood, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Koni Sport suspension, AppRadio 4 with PC, spunkymunkymusic.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page